Anyone remember petting zoos?

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by Mongooseuk, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Mongooseuk

Mongooseuk Members

I remember as a kid my best friend and I went to a local petting zoo. You know the kind where you could feed the animals? Well I petted a goat that proceeded to nuzzle my crotch. Meanwhile my friend was feeding a goose or maybe a turkey and the damn thing grabbed his dick. I nearly crapped myself laughing. It was funny but at the same time I felt bad for my friend.

Pantux likes this.
  2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

there was an episode of mongrels (the viewpoint characters being urban strays, who in this episode, somehow found themselves to be the creatures in the petting zoo),
    where a busload of school kids came through who had been to the ice cream counter furst.

if i remember to get back to it i'll try to remember to post the link.

there is also, next to the track of the svls, a sometimes populated petting zoo, in rancho cordova park, along the river, about six miles due east from sacramento.
    growing up in a village of less then a thousand people more then 40 miles from the nearest city of any size, there were no petting zoos in my childhood.
    not sure they even yet existed yet as a concept. but i do remember poor tired teathered ponys, kids rode around in their little circle on, and elephants much the same,
    and pet stores actually traded in rare exotic animals of managable size. as they were not yet protections for species, that for that matter, were not yet endangered by habbitat loss,
    because human population was less then half of what it is currently. this was in the early to mid 1950s. my having been born in 1948.

3. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

My city of Milwaukee, WI for the past 126 years still has a petting zoo.

I think Ty might've started the petting zoo from the ground up back in 1892.

Other petting zoo's my state has that are close to me.

Bear Den Zoo & Petting Farm Waterford, WI Green Meadows Petting Farm East Troy, WI
    Shalom Wildlife Zoo West Bend, WI
    Godsell Farm Muskego, WI

Also a deer petting zoo in
    Wisconsin Dells, WI

themnax likes this.
  4. Pantux

Pantux Senior Member

Worked as VP at a high school, in a small city. Four years ago, we brought in petting zoo for the high school kids. It was part of a yearend celebration. it was funny watching the students many who had no experience with goats chickens etc. I think there was even a baby llama. Some students freaked out, some wouldn’t go on the other side of the fence. You could definitely tell those students who had farm or animal experience. The best part was when the Little kids from the Hutterite Colony Showed up and were herding the animals, rounding them up, no fear. These were kids primarily in grades 2 and 3 but they grow up on a collective farm. It was funny watching these little kids have no fear when some high school kids were scared.

Mongooseuk likes this.
  5. Mongooseuk

Mongooseuk Members

I think, looking back, some of the animals in the petting zoo I visited were just tired of being touched. I don't blame them. There was one really good natured sheep and one really grumpy goose who was named...wait for it...Gus. I kid you not. It was the goose who picked on my best friend.

6. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster