anyone play the mandolin

Discussion in 'Performing Arts' started by maryjaneguitargurl, Jun 3, 2004.

1. maryjaneguitargurl

maryjaneguitargurl I am just like you.

I want to learn how to play the mandolin .. losing my religion by rem inspired me to learn.. do yall know of any websites for tablature or chords.. I have no clue how to play one.. But i can play guitar lol .. any of yall play?

2. crzydiamond

crzydiamond Member

i left likethe exact same post but no one responded. i'm still interested tho...

3. mick_jagger_is_so_hi

mick_jagger_is_so_hi Member

My mother used to play the mandolin. It sounds so beautifull, although she hasnt played it for many years now. I miss hearing her play.

4. Aviator

Aviator Member

Like you maryjaneguitargurl guitar is my thing
    especially open tunings ! :)

Once, I even went driving and camping around europe with a mandolin
    instead of my guitar to learn how to play and save on space.

I never quite got the hang of it.

"you know all the words and you sung all the notes but you never quite learned the song she sang..........."

Good luck !
    Its a lovely sounding instrument especially on losing my religion :)

ps I don't have the time right this second
    but if I come across anything on the web I'll post it here for you and
    crzydiamond

5. warthog

warthog Member

edit out please

6. Unkle_John

Unkle_John Member

my father plays mandolin and banjolin (yes it is what you think). They both sound very cool and are not very hard to learn. If you check out muscian's friend, they usually have beginners pretty cheap.

7. 7leafclover

7leafclover Member

I was actually thinking about going up to the local guitar center the other day and buying a mandolin. I want to learn to play really bad....Plus you can buy one for about 60 bucks. It would give me something to jam on besides the old acoustic.

8. dangermoose

dangermoose Is a daddy

warthog...

im confused...your bass is tuned to 4ths and the mandolin to 5ths?

i must misundertand what your saying, because for bass and guitar the open note of the string above the one your playing on is the same as the 5th fret on the string below it (xcept the B) , and for mandolin the notes match up on the 7th fret.

mandolins arent too hard to play, it's just like playing a junior, junior guitar in an odd open tuning..if you know guitar and your good with open tunings you can probably pick up the mandolin pretty fast.

9. moonlightdelerium

moonlightdelerium Senior Member

I play the mandolin, it isn't difficult because its exactly like a miniature left handed guitar (if you were right handed) meaning the tuning is just upside down. I'm practising like 2 hours a day at my new found baby the banjo. Me and my sistas are makin' a bluegrass band.

10. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Aah yes, there's something so feminine about a mandolin. :)

~ George

[​IMG]

11. thespeez

thespeez Member

The mandolin and violin are tuned the same way. The strings are tuned as thus: first sets Gs, the second Ds, third As, and the last Es.

12. warthog

warthog Member

yes a mandolin is tuned in 5ths & the guitar is tuned in 4ths ... one fert is not a STEP!!!!!!!the mandolin is tuned 5 steps .. let me go slow so yous to understand!!!!OK??? the frist not on the bottom the low g is the top string but called the bottom cause its low & welll the low notes on a paino is ta bottom ok on the mando the top string if you looked at the lsat post the said the g sring ok follow me..1st... you got "G" then ,"G"SHARP(1st.fret) YEAH ITS A FRET BUT NOT A STEP , YA DIG??? a THATS ONE HALF step //follw so far????then"A"one hole step so thats ONE,then "A" sharp a 1/2 step not a WHOLE step//but one fret !!!!then "B"thats TWO steps 4th fret but only 3 steps...then "C" sharp..5 fret a hole step because there is no black note on the paino between B,& C one fret makes a step at this condition....& on guitar & bass & mandolin their is no "B sharp", or ""E sharp ///so we where at "C" then one fret up "C" sharp/ but not a step a half step"c sharp is at the 6 fret///then "D" the 7th fret that is where you tune to get the next string dol ike the last post the stings are G,D A,E..do you understand ????A fret is not a step every time only at (e.&f }and(b& C }>no black notes on paino & ,no "e sharp" or "b sharp "no fret beetween theses 2 notes ///so when you tune a mando at the 7th fret you are 5 steps up from the open g string >>>frets are NOT steps//same on a BASS, you at the low "E" string open then "F"{1ST. FRET} no space or 1/2 step then "G" a whole step 3 RD., fret but only ONE step UP //then "G sharp"a 1/2 step up 4th fret...then "A" fith fret ...BUT!!!!! only four steps up..//so !!!a mondolin is tuned in 5ths meaning "5' steps //not 5 ferts...because someTIMES a fret is a 1/2 step so yeah 7th fret on the mandolin is 5 STEPS!!!!!!!& Guitar is tuned in fourths!!!!!!at the 5th fret yeah its 5 frets up the neck but its the FOURTH STEP up;; ..just like the" Nashville numbers system.".if they say its a 1-4-5 blues &,its a G,C,D its the one is "G" then the 4 is "C' & ,the 5 the 'D'//..it has nothing to do with frets is WHOLE STEPS>>>NOT HALF STEPS ..so ill go over the g string on the mandolin one more time open "G"---then "A"2nd.fret then "B" the 4th.fret then "C" the 5th fret( no space or frets between B&,C) then "D" the 7th. fret //thats 5- STEPS & the next string is "D" so you tune the mandolin at the 7 fret ...BUT thats only 5--5-55-IIIIi say II say 55555 STEPS DOWN So the mandoiln is tuned in 5ths.////meaning 5 steps NOT 5 frets!!!!}& the GUITAR is tuned in forths..im right because a PRO paino playar taugth me ...Im not any good but I understand Whole steps & ,1/2 steps & ,one fret is not allways a step ,if you look at it in frets then the mandolin is tuned at the 7th.fret,& the guitar is tuned at the 5th frets...thes are not whoole steps a sharp or flat is a 1/2 step //hope you GET it now///PeACE & LoVE //

13. J.Cheyenne

J.Cheyenne Member

14. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

im getting one for my birthday prolly just a cheapo to learn on