Anyone have a garden going this year?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Deleted member 315401, Apr 2, 2020.

1. BiGuySW

BiGuySW Members

Picking the pods is the most time-consuming part. Shelling the pods goes quickly.

I put the harvested pods in large paper bags, and leave the bags just inside a large south-facing window of my house or on a bench in my little greenhouse. With tepary beans, you can occasionally hear a pod shatter as the pods dry out completely.

After all the pods are very dry, I take the bags outside on a windy day and lay out a tarp on the ground. I used my gloved hands to break all the pods open in the bags, and then winnow the contents of the bag on the tarp. I rub each handful between my hands as the wind blows the pod fragments off the tarp, leaving mostly beans on the tarp. I usually winnow the beans twice if the breeze in not strong, and that is sufficient to remove about 98% of the chaff. Then later, when I cook the beans in my instant pot, that little bit of chaff floats on top of the cooking water where I skim it off.

I used to raise dry beans as a large scale commercial field crop, and of course, I used a combine for harvesting. But at the garden level, hand picking pods works OK and gets me out in the early autumn mornings when the desert is at its finest. I've found that growing dry beans on a trellis makes pod harvesting a lot easier and prevents the pods from getting moldy.

FritzDaKatx2 and MartNorth like this.
  2. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

My aim has been to hang hog fence panels on the porch awning but need to find a way to keep the dogs away, 4-5 times the vines made it almost 3/4 up, then the dogs would get nosey and end up breaking them off near the base..

3. BiGuySW

BiGuySW Members

This year, Gambel's quail attacked my young bean plants. I had to replant inside a bird exclosure. Next year, I'll put some sort of hoop structure over the seedlings until they get established. Once the summer monsoons start, the quail find other salad bars.

Can you fence your plants off from the dogs?

FritzDaKatx2 likes this.
  4. FritzDaKatx2

I was thinking an aviary would be nice given all the pests and predators we have around Tucson but then this is a rental so I don't want to get elaborate till we grab land of our own.

Thought I was going to have some nice tomatoes a couple years back till the Saguaro wrens fixed that...

5. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

It was the deer in Northern California... damned things eat anything green in sight. All grows of any kind, pot or vegetables had to be fenced very strongly to keep them out, and the voles coming up from underneath once took an entire field of cannabis plants in one week. Ate the root balls from beneath, the plants just fell over dead.

Fighting mother nature for your share of the crop has been one of mankind's challenges from the beginning of agricultural societies.

jimandjan and Tyrsonswood like this.
  6. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

Yes Mother Nature has been hard on us in midwest. This year rain early, then dry, then heavy rain got our tomatoes. Since retired spend lots of time in garden, but I look back and remember planting seeds, and weeds taking over. Seems we got more produce back then. I plan to keep trying, Weed less garden looks so nice.

~Zen~ likes this.
  7. MartNorth

MartNorth Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

A couple inches of shredded leaves help keep weed down a lot. Plus they add to the soil and help make it nice mellow dirt. helps tp pre start your plants so they are ahead of the weeds.

jimandjan, FritzDaKatx2 and ~Zen~ like this.
  8. ~Zen~

Thanks for the tips!

9. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

We add leaves to compost pile. This year we put newspaper down then mulched, with compost. Maybe the wrong thing to do? Some one told me, we should have pulled compost back, when the heavy rains came. and add peroxide?
    The plants had nice fruit, when all the leaves died. We let them ripen and canned, just not he flavor of fresh picked.

FritzDaKatx2 likes this.
  10. MartNorth

Peroxide is really helpful. My x and me got into 35 % food grade use years ago. Don't recall how much we deluted it but had some beautiful gardens. Been thinking of doing it again. Used to add it Christmas tree water and before we took the trees out they'd have 8-9 inch long new growth on all the tips. Looked through old pics but couldn't find a pic of one.

~Zen~ and FritzDaKatx2 like this.
  11. FritzDaKatx2

Peroxide is the bomb for soil, literally, kills off all your anaerobic bacteria and basically acts like an aerator.

I'm imagining at 35% a gallon would last a pretty good while as I would use just 10% to water using the 3% by volume stuff, much more and it would start burning stuff up.

Also makes a nice foliar spray if you run into powdery mildew

~Zen~ likes this.
  12. ~Zen~

I wish I knew this a few years ago...sounds great to me.

13. ~Zen~

I have been making my own weed killer to avoid Roundup. It is for a gravel area in the yard, not the garden itself.

I get a gallon jug of vinegar and pour out enough so I can add a full cup of fine salt.

Let it sit and also agitate occasionally until all is dissolved. Then I add a squirt of liquid dish soap, not too much!

Then put it in the sprayer and blast the baby weeds with it.

They shrivel and die really fast.

Older bigger weeds take more.

Not very powerful but not terrible for the environment is it?

FritzDaKatx2 likes this.
  14. MartNorth

Interesting, will have to try that on my driveway and see if it'll kill off the camomeal and bluegrass that has invaded for the lawn.

~Zen~ likes this.
  15. FritzDaKatx2

I've noticed vinegar is getting pricey lately
    And while I've not tried to kill weeds with it, I have seen it kill things very effectively when misused, and it doesn't leave any residue

17 Super-Simple Natural Weed Killer Tips & Recipes.

~Zen~ likes this.
  16. FritzDaKatx2

On another note, the squash baby grew up and has a couple siblings.

20211024_065220.jpg 20211024_065234.jpg 20211024_065246.jpg

MartNorth and ~Zen~ like this.
  17. ~Zen~

Number one on your list!

Here a gallon of white vinegar costs $2.00

I read today that retailers and producers are LOVING the price increases and plan a lot more to increase their profits. No more do they care about the consumer, the consumer exists to consume and must pay for the privilege of existing.

Tyrsonswood and FritzDaKatx2 like this.
  18. ~Zen~

FritzDaKatx2 likes this.
  19. FritzDaKatx2

Almost dinner

20211120_111733.jpg

And the plant is still going strong-is despite continued attacks by my dogs in their Neverending pursuit of the lil' lizards.

Next round I think I'll definitely be adding some sort of barrier fencing around my plots.

20211120_113002.jpg

The thing I love most about this particular plot is that it evolved naturally from a heap of raked up yard waste and some randomly tossed seeds (there looks to be a mater plant trying to appear, or perhaps an eggplant? Hard to say this early but it may inspire me to set a cold frame up.)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
    MartNorth and hotwater like this.
  20. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

i went to the local garden center where my mom goes, secretly holiday shopping...

I concluded that I'd best not - it's her thing, I don't want to interfere, and I'm not sure what she'd honestly value.

Because gardening is incredibly personal for her, she might interpret my gifting as a serious intrusion (though she isn't really that type of person... she's pretty easy going).

Anyway, lawn gnomes and garden décor couldn't be hip-per.