Anyone have a garden going this year?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Deleted member 315401, Apr 2, 2020.

1. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

Excellent!

2. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My parents used to raise hogs, and the corn for their feed, about 80 acres worth. Plow/till for years then no-till. Spread the liquid hog manure from the pits for fertilizer. My mom once got caught by a supplier delivery driver peeing between buildings. :)

~Zen~ and Alice in SC like this.
  3. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

We have those in abundance! When I see a bunch of babies in webs in the trees, I spray them. Too destructive. I try to go as organic as I can but some things like these and Japanese beetles need to be controlled hard core.

~Zen~ likes this.
  4. Bicaptain My Captain

Bicaptain My Captain Members

Opinions please. In the 1970's I grew Golden Bantam sweet corn. It was short, four feet or so with good yield and flavor. I'm planning my Square Foot garden. Is Golden Bantam a good choice or has something better come around in the last 50 years?

Alice in SC and ~Zen~ like this.
  5. ~Zen~

Burpee's best since 1902!

Still the best according to my gardening friends... amazing, eh?

Bicaptain My Captain likes this.
  6. Bicaptain My Captain

While on the subject of seeds. What is a good pole green bean for a Square Foot garden? I don't care for waxy and definitely no stringing.

~Zen~ likes this.
  7. ~Zen~

Good question!

I hope someone who likes string beans can chime in here... I never had a luck growing them.

8. Boozercruiser

Boozercruiser Kenny Lifetime Supporter

My Wife and I live in a ground floor apartment here in Rhos On Sea/Colwyn Bay North Wales UK.
    We have a small garden which we spend a lot of time in during the summer.
    Wifey looks after it and I think she does a good job.

If you would like to see the garden then there are LIVE CCTV Camera links below
    This so you can also see how the weather is here in Colwyn Bay UK right now!
    It is 18.17pm here now, so it is starting to get dark!

Just click on the Shared Live Stream links:

Looking towards the Sea here in Colwyn Bay:

Shared Live Stream | Nest

Looking towards railway bridge:

Shared Live Stream | Nest

9. Bicaptain My Captain

Looks lovely. My ancestors are from Wales but I've never been there. I thought Wales was all coal mines.

10. MartNorth

MartNorth Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I really like Fortex pole beans from Johnnies. They'll get a foot long for me before the seeds start getting bigger then the rest of the pod.

11. MartNorth

Have my first plants up. Took my celery 3 1/2 week to come up but have 2 in eat cube.Now to get bell peppers going then tomatoes.

12. MartNorth

Tomatoes, peppers, cukes and zucks are up and growing. Celery might be 1 1/2 inches tall, but that's ok cuz the outside garden STILL has 2 feet of snow on it.
    DSCN0766.jpg
    Didn't like any light fixtures I could buy when I switched to using Topaz LED 4 footers so I built my own from some metal roof ridge cap I had laying around. I wanted the bulbs to be centered over each row of six-packs to help prevent the plants from leaning to the center.
    DSCN0761.jpg
    DSCN0760.jpg
    DSCN0758.jpg
    DSCN0762.jpg

13. Alice in SC

Alice in SC Senior Member

Try Ambrosia!

14. Bicaptain My Captain

Thanks, Alice. Unfortunately I've already ordered Golden Bantam. Maybe next year.

15. nudistguyny

nudistguyny Senior Member

With a boom in the deer population. I have lost most of my plants and bushes. What my avatar shows does not exist any longer. I would love to thin the herd. But unfortunately I fall just inside that magical line on a map that prohibits hunting. It sucks ! I can't even tell you how much money I have lost in plants. Even the plants that deer are not supposed to like have been chewed down or wiped out.

16. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Well meaning, purportedly, legislation with negative effects.

They should at least allow bow hunting by permit. I get that people in power can't allow their subjects to live free. That's discriminatory against the less capable is the typical rationale, coached in some other form like fear to make it appear necessary in order to sell the limitation.

And with public outcry of their gardens and cars being damaged, the ruling council purposes a budget item to hire "professionals" to come remove some of the offending critters (often some friend of a friend, or somesuch).

Luckily we're in an area where they issue kill permits, allowing a producer to eliminate forest rats destroying one's livelihood.

MartNorth likes this.
  17. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

Finished planting green beans and sweet corn yesterday, before the rain started. Have to wait and see. 2 inches in a hurry, played hell with fresh tilled soil. Carrots, peas, radishes doing good in raised beds.
    Trying Incredible sweet corn and Contender beans.

18. MartNorth

Move the tomatoes, peppers, cuks, and celery out to the green house yesterday.Have all the cabbage family plants started now.

19. Cello Song

Cello Song Members

That happened to me last year. I don't want to hurt the deer, so I wove a fence out of sticks. We'll see how that works out.

20. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

I live on the edge of town, don't have deer, but had racoons in the past, and they know when the corn is ready. I am worried about the wild life I don't have. The Purple Martins, have not showed up this years, and have have had them for past 20 some years.