Anyone have a garden going this year?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Deleted member 315401, Apr 2, 2020.

1. About 8 years ago I started a large garden, the last 2 years I haven't done much with it. Last year I only had garlic and onions in it because they had been planted months before. By the time spring came around I had no interest in it and it all went to weeds. With this whole lockdown thing and an increasingly unstable food supply chain I decided it was time to get my garden back in order.

Luckily, the garlic I didn't pull up last year over wintered in the beds and I was able to pull them up and transplant them properly. Unfortunately, I never started any onions so whatever I get from the seed I just planted will probably be small, but something is better than nothing(at least in this case:tonguewink:). I have fruit trees that are in bloom right now or about to be soon; apple, peach, cherry, plum, pear, mulberry and an almond tree too. Some bushes and vines like; currants, blueberry, strawberry, blackberry, raspberry, and boysenberry. I have perennial herbs; rosemary, sage, thyme, chives, lovage, mint, and lemon balm. Recently, I planted a bunch of seeds directly into the garden; peas, carrots, radishes, spinach, lettuce, mizuna, collards, cabbage, and bok choy. I just started some in flats in the greenhouse, they are a little late but they should do fine; tomatoes, peppers, basil, parsley, oregano, chamomile, marjoram, and perilla. In a few weeks I will be planting; beans, squash, melons, and cucumbers. I just realized that I forgot to plant potatoes, celery, turnips, and parsnips:disrelieved:.

Both my front and back yard have been converted to garden space, with most of the plants there being edible, including most of the flowers and weeds.

Strawberries blooming already
    0401201750.jpg
    Radishes
    0402201540.jpg
    Blueberries on the right side, chickweed completely covering the pathway right now. We still have a lot of clean-up to do.
    Rosemary
    0401201756.jpg
    Peach blossom
    0401201748b.jpg
    It only let me upload five and the uprights keep coming out sideways, there was even one of my garlic that uploaded upside-down. I guess I have to figure that out before posting any more pictures.

I know, it's a bit extreme but when I started I had a goal, I wanted to be able to grow anything we might need. I just really wanted to know that we could if need be. Now there is an impending need for it. Besides, even if everything goes back to normal you just can't beat all organic produce from heirloom seeds. Oh and so far this year I have spent less than $20 on my garden to buy a few seed varieties I didn't have already.

I would really love to see or read about what everyone else has going or is planning.

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Doing something here.

20200328_141237.jpg

3. So cute!
    Is that a chicken coop I see? I always wanted to get a few but I have too many projects going right now.
    And rabbits?

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Well the wooden hutch was originally for rabbits but we just built and extended around it and then decided to build 3 different pens for them which are on the left there. All that soil with no grass was where they used to be and at the bottom of the picture where the Buddha statue is used to be all a big hedge which we removed on the weekend. :)

MoonGodess likes this.
  5. What are your plans for it?

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Where the hedge was we are going to lay white stones along and have 3 or 4 big vase there instead should look nice through the kitchen window looking into the back yard. Now sure what plants I want in the vases but I'm thinking of an oversized vase in the centre with a bonsai growing in it. :)

MoonGodess likes this.
  7. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

I don't like it here anymore . It's the season to go travelling with my
    favorite seeds .

8. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

Been turning my weeds into compost but as we're in the process of house hunting and aiming to move in the near future I've been keeping it all to container planting so far aside from some morning glories and vining beans along the fence.

On the upside one of the properties we're looking at neighbors a horse ranch and and has a good producing well complete with old school windmill in case the power drops out.
    I've already made contact with a number of local arborist so once we get unpacked it won't take too terribly long to green up my little corner of nowhere out in the desert.

GLENGLEN and MoonGodess like this.
  9. Congrats on the new place and good luck with your garden, would love to see pics once you get it going.

10. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I have tomatoes, runner beans, cucumbers, courgettes all starting off in pots.. Currently digging the outside over, and in the poly tunnel for planting out. There is still rainbow chard growing from last summer, making it one of my favourite things.

mysticblu21, Irminsul and MoonGoddess like this.
  11. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

1st Floor flat darlin' so have no garden, not that I want one, can stand out on my small balcony and watch others toil in the soil !!!

12. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

For those of us who enjoy it, it's hardly toil. It is relaxing, fulfilling and good exercise.

13. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

My gardens are mostly for wildlife..... The pollinators and birds...

It's predominantly wildflowers, herbs and shrubs. I have a lot of trees here, and I've planted more.

I don't grow any vegetables, the deer and chipmunks would get them before I could.

14. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

15. MeAgain

Just rebuilt mine. 24' by 16' with six raised beds. I took down the electric fence and put a wooden picket fence around it. Had to set the posts, etc. Hope to finish it today by leveling the ground between the beds and spreading stones.
    I might reinstall the electric if the critters start bothering it.

Might plant peas and lettuce today or this weekend.

MoonGodess and Driftrue like this.
  16. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Here is a corner of garden. A before picture.
    Hopefully by the end of the weekend I will have an After picture that is more brown, less green IMG_20200403_162146.jpg

17. Will have when the weather changes! We had a wee shower of snow today. Like to try and make a serious start at Easter but................

18. MeAgain

I'm home grown, growin' my own and I need ya
    Need ya to beg my pardon, to tend my garden

19. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

What about a miniature garden, Vlad? : )
    I love making those. Since I last did, I have acquired a tiny bench and garden tools and I keep thinking to build one for them, but haven't got around to it yet.

20. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Got started at our "new"place a couple days ago. Tomatoes, green beans, broccoli, squash. Still a little cool here for some things. Son & wife built several beds and fixed a broken gate to keep the deer out. Squirrels were jumping up on the back screen door to reach the bird feeder, so we moved it down the line under the eave on the back deck. Now the critters are relegated to what the birds kick out onto the deck. Lots of finches and other little birds. The hummingbirds are busy too.
    Son & wife have been putting in skylights the last few days---really brightens the place up and saves on electricity too. Especially in an interior bathroom with no window--goes from pitch black to bright daylight. Onward and upward!
    ( ässholes"won't let me get on the roof any more. What the hell? Only fell off 4 times in my illustrious career.)