Anyone Gone Barefoot in a Church?

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by mattygroves, Jul 25, 2018.

1. mattygroves

mattygroves Members

I was in Southwell a couple of days ago, I go there fairly often - it's quite a nice place to go barefoot.

While walking through the grounds of the Minster I noticed that it was open to the public and thought about going in, I bet the floor in there would feel wonderful on a hot day, probably stone or marble. I didn't though because I wasn't sure if it would be considered disrespectful or wrong to go in barefoot. Perhaps i was already in the wrong for walking through the grounds barefoot? Of course a lot of religions insist on bare feet in their temples and holy buildings, not sure about Church of England though.

I should add that Southwell Minster is a rather grand place that attracts a lot of tourists, not just a regular church, not sure if that makes any difference.

Anyone been in a Church barefoot?

2. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

I Attend Funerals And Weddings Barefoot......:smilecat:

Cheers Glen.

goodearth and charlie35 like this.
  3. *pixy*

*pixy* Member

Now and then yes, never had any problems. Both at services and as a tourist.

“Do not come any closer,” God said. “Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground.” - Exodus 3
    The commander of the Lord’s army replied, “Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy.” And Joshua did so. - Joshua 5
    “Do not get any gold or silver or copper to take with you in your belts,no bag for the journey or extra shirt or sandals or a staff, for the worker is worth his keep. - Matthew 10,10
    Do not take a purse or bag or sandals - Luke 10,4
    Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?” “Nothing,” they answered. - Luke 22,35

;-)

4. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I'm damn sure God wouldn't mind any more than he minds gay sex or smoking pot. I reckon God is sick of people getting offended on his behalf and making him look petty.

TrickMaster42, Maxxy and charlie35 like this.
  5. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

^^^...Nice Post *pixy*...... :smilecat:

Cheers Glen.

*pixy*, imtheotHERone and charlie35 like this.
  6. mattygroves

mattygroves Members

Cool, next time I'm in Southwell I'll go in.

Scirocco09 and goodearth like this.
  7. charlie35

charlie35 Member

I would. I've been into many churches without giving it a thought (last one was Ely cathedral). I like to think it shows humility.

GLENGLEN and goodearth like this.
  8. I wouldn't.
    I feel it would be too disrespectful.

Noserider and bluewatersurfer like this.
  9. Boogabaah

Boogabaah I am not here

yes, been in a few and it's never been an issue

10. *pixy*

*pixy* Member

When i did visit the the Mont Ste. Odile with it's monastry then during a hike in the Vosges mountains i several times was asked if i go barefoot by a vow. It was funny because it seemed to fit with the intellectual world of the religious people coming there for pilgrimage etc.
    Tradition tells that the water of the Ste. Odile fount heals eye complaints, maybe they thought i got cure by the well and now do pilgramage to thank for.
    Of course each of us did moisten the eyes with the holy water. Probably it works preventive too ;-)
    Mont Sainte-Odile - Wikipedia

11. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

One time, yes, but it was an outdoor service. Most churches probably wouldn't permit it around here.

12. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

lol Why would anyone go to church barefooted? lol

Nobody there wants to see or smell your feet. lol

If i went to church and saw someone barefooted, i don't think i would be able to stop myself from laughing.

13. Total Darkness

What type of church was this?

14. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

A non-denominational church, where sometimes, the services are outside. Since abandoning Catholicism, I don't attend church regularly, but if I attend, I usually go to this one, now.

15. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

You hang out with lions and tigers, but seeing someone's bare feet is just...a little...too much. lol :p

16. Total Darkness

Different environment setting. A church is a much more formal setting. It would be like going to a funeral or wedding in my bathing suit.

17. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

Not if it's an outdoor service, but I wouldn't go inside like that. Honestly, I'm amazed where people share they go bare foot in these threads. It wouldn't be allowed in most public buildings around here.

bluewatersurfer likes this.
  18. Total Darkness

I wouldn't do it outdoors either unless its at a beach. I would imagine someone turning around and stepping on my foot. lol

Overall, i mostly avoid events that are too formal for my taste.

19. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

I'm In %100 Agreement With This...... :smiley:

Cheers Glen.

goodearth likes this.
  20. Xoču

Xoču Members

Visiting an Anglican church in India a few years ago, I was surprised to see that you were expected to leave your shoes at the door — no doubt an import from Hindu and Moslem traditions. Since most people were wearing sandals, that meant bare feet.

Deidre likes this.