Anyone else struggling with self-employment?

Discussion in 'Hip Business Network' started by Hoppípolla, Nov 5, 2013.

1. HashtagInterested

HashtagInterested Members

Self employment ... My strongest aspect is writing, photography, and new inventions. I have a great mind, a damn good eye, and a damn good vocabulary. I could go the patent route with my inventions, but first I'd need to make the prototype. Money is an issue, so photography is something for later, as for writing ... Publishers don't come easy, and the expenses involved when you do get one for marketing, printing, book signings and whatnot, there's not much profit after ... Unless you can sell hundreds of thousands of copies.

So, that leaves my inventive nature and creativity, but there's a problem here as well. Living in the streets low funds and from past experiences, it's difficult to secure a t-shirt sometimes, much less an invention that would be worth a whole lot of money if I could keep the prototype and get the patent.

Renting is a no go ... Everywhere I rent as in 10 placed in 5 counties in just the last 4 years, well ... There was always a reason I had to leave from police to grumpy landlords to we sold this place and new renters are moving in, so I only have two hands no vehicle and so ... My things stay I go scenarios play out.

I can make a fuck ton of money and I mean a fuck ton of s fuck ton, but there's so much standing against me it's difficult to make it happen.

So ... I understand your opening post and sentiments.

2. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

I'm part time self employed, part time regular employee, full time student. When I graduate all that changes and I go full time self employed. Sink or swim time

GLENGLEN and Rahab like this.
  3. HashtagInterested

That's a good way to put it. Sink or swim ... I've been doing the doggie paddle even though I'm like a fish in the water. That's how it feels anyway. Gotta love this crazy beautiful tragic damn near unbearable but exciting not so exciting full of life no life but could be a great life kind of life.

4. divaron

divaron Members

The most difficult thing is to find a profitable niche or come up with an invention that will allow you to constantly make a profit. Many people cannot come up with something unique, so they copy someone’s idea, improve it and distribute it under their own brand. I liked this article, which describes the 4 main secrets of creating a business: Advanced technologies, originality, web platforms, fiscal availability

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2022
  5. HashtagInterested

I've come up with Rock solid home security systems, self cooling coolers that can double as portable AC units, seasoning blends, business structures with huge profit margins and huge network building power...I thought about a vapor rx coupled with cognitive health businesses, and a few other niches.

The vapor isn't looking too promising, but my security system, business structures, and seasoning blend would be profitable. But, as you suggested, lots of people in position to take and beat people to the punch, so to speak, which makes it difficult to get them started, couple that with internet security issues, and the tasks seem impossible.

Maybe I should just hit the beach grab a prescription for some Kush, and become a beach bum. What do you think?

6. Idlewild

Idlewild Members

I did website backend development for about a decade until I retired this past November. I could do that again if money gets tight. It's a pain in the ass trying to find clients, though.

ZenKarma likes this.
  7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I hate it when you take down a few extra birds at the airport but they don't give you like overtime birds, I mean c'mon, shells aren't free.

8. Riverrat1029

Riverrat1029 Newbie

Yeah, i call it self unemployment.