Anyone else sick of the intrusiveness?

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by OceanStar, Dec 17, 2017.

1. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

It's unhealthy when the way we fulfill these needs is via a massive surveillance tool that can and has been used for dubious purposes, as opposed to bonding with those who are physically around us.

Moonglow181 likes this.
  2. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

The thing I hate the most is that I have to fight to get people to put down their phone when we're hanging out. Unless I'm trying to show them something specific, my phone stays in my purse when I'm socializing.

3. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Ya im sick of it!!!!!!!

I have a firend (a Sheeple) and she is on her bloody phone 90% of the time shes supposed to be visiting me!!!

Im sick of it....... Who knows if its camera is taking my pic,etc............ IM SO SICK OF IT!!!

Eric! likes this.
  4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

call her a sheeple to her face and you won't have to worry about having such a shitty friend anymore.

EloiseAtThePlaza and eggsprog like this.
  5. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I really have to commend you for your thoughts on this, especially as a twenty-something year old! It's rare to see being talked about by a younger generation (I'm 50). But yes, the frustration is felt by a lot of folks, more than you can imagine. I can't stand it! Especially walking into a restaurant and seeing a family of 4 or 5, all on thier damn phones doing something, whether its texting, playing games, listening to music, etc. When we go out to eat as a family, I don't allow my daughter to bring her phone in, and my wife and I don't pull ours out. Helps us stay focused in talking to each other and aware of what's going on around us.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  6. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Technology is making people socially retarded. Real life face to face communications are replaced with phony social MEDIA interactions. Bullshit online "friends" who are just there to either bitch or show off.

Dude111 likes this.
  7. goodearth

goodearth Member

I refuse to work for nothing while the store eliminates checkers’ livelihood and maximizes profit. I stopped going to Wal Mart cause they kept expanding the self checkout lines and reducing the checker lines. A couple of times during the holidays I left a full basket of groceries at Sams and told the manager I was getting tired of standing in a line half way around the store because only two checker lines were open.

Dude111 and la Principessa like this.
  8. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

9. la Principessa

You'd be surprised how many younger people realize how addicted they are to their phones. I'm almost glad mine is almost broken. I got unlimited data and I saw myself starting to take my phone out all the time when I was out. But mostly I would do it because every time I hung out in a group everyone would just ignore each other and look at their phones. I'd get bored. But now I make people talk to each other. Let's not revert back to cavemen lol

Eric! likes this.
  10. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

are you saying that cavemen spent way too much time playing with their cell phones?

11. la Principessa

I meant reducing conversations to distracted grunting at each other lol but I'm sure they were obsessed with something. They probably stared at the campfire too much.

Irminsul likes this.
  12. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I love how you say this as I have said the same thing before, but I was ridiculed and called ignorant lol. But Thats what i picture them doing too. I don't picture "hello, what is up. Would you like to go hunting with thee I saw a nice juicy mammoth half an hour ago." I just don't think that's how it went down.

la Principessa likes this.
  14. la Principessa

Well that's rude of them. Are we supposed to magically know everything? I barely learned anything about ancient civilization in school. I thought the same thing but you made me curious so I looked it up and found an article saying that they actually did have the capability to speak like modern humans. So we both learned something just now.

Neanderthals 'could speak like us'

Even so, we have no way of knowing that they did have language. We just know that they could. They were driven by instinct more than we are now so I'm pretty sure they weren't appreciating the beauty of nature and having deep conversations lol

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I read up to the part where "one" person said they had the "ability" to speak. So do parrots. :D

16. la Principessa

Good point lol