Anyone else sick of the intrusiveness?

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by OceanStar, Dec 17, 2017.

1. OceanStar

OceanStar Member

I enjoy using technology obviously as I am on a laptop posting here, but it seems there is no escape from it! I go back to my job in the morning with 8 hours of clicking at a computer, and responding to emails from colleagues who are sitting less than 5 steps away. Then onto the bus where everyone is glued to their phones, and to the supermarket where I am expected to scan my own shopping.

I'm in a local group, and frequently left out of the loop because I don't have a smartphone or access to Whatsapp at the moment. Ugh!

I'm in my twenties and I just wish it was an option to cut way back on my use of technology, just have it for the occasional bit of entertainment or information seeking.

Anyone else frustrated?

2. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Yeah, it sucks. I was lucky enough to have grown up before all this electronic shit. The good thing is that there is still an 'off' button on all of it. At night I'll turn off everything (including the lights), light some candles and listen to the stereo.

3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

they don't have cashiers at your supermarket? everywhere i've gone with the self scan only has a few aisles of that, and then a bunch of cashiers. i prefer the self scan because cashiers are all really slow at their jobs, and don't know how to bag groceries.

i do get annoyed when work people want to have an email conversation over the course of a week rather than just walking to the next office over and resolving the issue in 2 minutes of actual talking. that's really just my boss though, and i think it's more because he's trying to create the illusion of being really busy, as opposed to oppressive technology.

makihiko likes this.
  4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I hate the supermarket things especially.

Will refuse to use them. Kind of drove me towards shopping at Aldi actually.

Ironically so i can stand in line and play with my phone whilst someone else scans my shit.

la Principessa and magickman like this.
  5. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

My beef is with all the advertisements that pop up everywhere during your online surfing experience.
    They say you can control some of them, but never get rid of all of them.
    Our world nowadays reminds me of a sign a local privately owned restaurant had taped to the wall back in the 80s.
    "This is not Burger King. You get it our way, or you don't get the son of a bitch". Of course she was kidding, a real sweetheart actually.
    But today, Walmart should have this sign, as should the internet. First thing our PC should say when you flip the switch.

makihiko likes this.
  6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i bought stuff for work today so i had to use an actual walmart cashier to get the tax exemption. i think she took 3 times as long as i do to ring up that amount of stuff, and then she used a separate bag for each item. how many plastic trees have to die just so a shitty cashier can keep her job?

magickman likes this.
  7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

This really bothers me too, this is the number one reason I do self scan. And a cashier still has to stand at the self scan registers to help old people so it isnt like any jobs have really been lost

I've been going to Lidl lately (which is like a nicer Aldi) just so I can bag my own groceries

8. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

The worst thing is the way that everytime I look at a product online, our computers are flooded with adverts for the products and suppliers. By Christmas, everyone will have worked out what their presents are most likely to be and feel disappointed if I went for the cheaper option.

makihiko likes this.
  9. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

Meh....I don't have a smartphone & don't fell I'm missing out on much if anything of any real value. WhaddoIwin!!!!!!!???????

10. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Self checking machines don't need jobs--people do. I never use those infernal machines.

snowtiggernd and Adamskiffle like this.
  11. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

the employee that has to stand at the self checkout machines probably needs their job.

makihiko and magickman like this.
  12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

we have to pay for plastic bags :p so you learn to keep em cause 0.10c adds up. :p

13. makihiko

makihiko Official hippie since 2005

I am usually too stoned to operate the scanner, so I go to the human cashier

14. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

self checkout doesnt take cash here

thats why i avoid them..i prefer paying with real money and no extra fees

snowtiggernd likes this.
  15. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

I'm a big fan of self checkouts. Probably because I only get a couple items at a time and they're almost always open.

16. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I'm not following this thread. Doing your job and using the self checkout is intrusive?

17. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Yes its quite hard to have privacy today (EVEN OFFLINE) unless you really try for it!!!!!

NO FACEBOOK
    NO SMART PHONE
    NO SMART CRAP IN YOUR HOUSE (Display devices,etc)

There are ways to have privacy BUT IT ISNT EASY!!

GLENGLEN likes this.
  18. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

It's not really intruding if you choose to buy a phone and use it for the purpose it was designed to have.
    If you really wanted privacy, you probably wouldn't be venting about it on this site either.

Just by expressing yourself online, you are probably giving some future mega-computer everything it needs to understand you even better than you understand yourself.

The biggest issue isn't that we don't have privacy, it's that we have a deep and probably unhealthy need to be heard, understood, supported and/or sympathized with.

19. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Dangers of being a pack animal capable of complex communication, I'm afraid.

20. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Is that really unhealthy though? Sounds like a very basic human desire.

Eric! likes this.