Anyone been through an MRI experience?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by jambo101, May 3, 2013.

1. jambo101

jambo101 Member

Never gave much thought to claustrophobia but doing 30 minutes in an MRI machine will definitely get you thinking i'd reall like this proceedure to be over and i hope i never have to do it again.
    In ya go =

[​IMG]

2. deleted

deleted Visitor

its nothing.. thing spins around your head, it make snapping noises. its over in less than 10min..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4DHUim_Lc8"]MRI Scan Sounds - YouTube

3. dixie_pixy

dixie_pixy HighMandi

If it takes too long you can start to get fidgety and of course there is no comfort. Try to close your eyes and meditate. Imagine being in a field. Laying in that thing forever does suck.

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I've had a lot of MRI's... No problem but it does get boring after awhile.

5. jambo101

jambo101 Member

I was thinking it akin to being buried alive, also what if the technician had a heart attack and i was stuck in the thing for hours,madness would surely ensue..
    Maybe this MRI experience has brought out a claustrophobia i never knew i had..

6. odonII

odonII O

It is slightly claustraphobic. But they keep in contact with you, and you can call to get out at any time. I just kept my eyes closed and tried to think of nice things. There is always more than one technician, and I believe that there is an alarm that sounds if you are in there longer than the scan is supposed to be. I would not worry about being trapped in there overnight. It actually does not feel like you are buried alive.
    I have a feeling you will say: Is that it?

7. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

Do your best not to move around, because if you do they have to start over. I've had a CAT Scan and a MRI on me knee. It was hard to keep my knee still because of the pain so it took me twice as long as it should have.

8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Oh yeah!... Make sure you take a piss before the procedure.

9. odonII

odonII O

Mos Def

10. dixie_pixy

dixie_pixy HighMandi

Even if it only takes 10 minutes, you will have to pee half way through!

11. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I had a traditional mri and was really claustrophobic during it. I don't know how I got through it.

Several years later I tried another. They pulled me out as soon as they put me in. They saw my face go pale and my blood pressure drop.

I had to schedule open mri's for the other couple I had. They were not as bad because one of them was a scan of my knees. The other was a spine scan and the contraption partially covered my face which was very difficult for me. It seems I'm getting more and more claustrophobic.

Just having the mask thing clamping my head to the table starts my claustrophobia.

I've never had pre-meds, which I hear help alot.

12. odonII

odonII O

You make it sound like water-boarding *chuckle*. I do appreciate some people don't manage it as well as others, though.

13. deleted

deleted Visitor

mri is my favorite thing in the hospital. @ least you dont have to drink contrast.. :puke:

14. Aerianne

I "feel" the closeness when I go in places. You could blindfold me and put headphones on me and I could tell you what size space I'm in. I think I have sonar like some other animals do, lol.

15. deleted

deleted Visitor

how do you drive such a small car? You should drive this.. [​IMG]

16. Aerianne

Lol, Orison...I really can't stand small cars...I kind of wig out if the windshield is too close to my face.

17. deleted

deleted Visitor

all my cars are big lol., I need space for my acorns. :afro:

I notice new mri machines are not as loud and annoying as other old models. .
    There is also the upright mri , ive not seen one and Im in a major hospital city. I know they are here somewhere, but not in the hospitals I go to...

18. odonII

odonII O

Me too, to be fair.
    I have only experienced it twice.
    It wasn't for 30 minutes, but 10. So my experience was limited.
    I think I remember a little bit of an echo.
    The only thing that probably got me threw it was the light.
    I was trying to make the OP feel more relaxed, but I guess other experiences helps, too.
    I just didn't want to get the chap too nervous.

19. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I'm very claustrophobic,so I refused one,but have had cat-scans. That iodine they inject made my butt-hole feel like someone was putting a cigarette out on it.

20. deleted

deleted Visitor