Anybody here studying or working as a biologist?

Discussion in 'Stoners Lounge' started by NotMe, Feb 12, 2009.

1. NotMe

NotMe Member

If so, I could really use your help with a short a survey for my research. If you want to participate send me a PM with your email and I'll send it to you.

2. deleted

deleted Visitor

not me.. :p

3. dixie_pixy

dixie_pixy HighMandi

I was a biology major before I became a sociology major. I couldn't pass Trig and it was required for the degree. So, I had to switch to something with less math.

4. NotMe

NotMe Member

Highlarious.

5. mr.greenxxx

mr.greenxxx Not an Average Bear

:not cool:

6. Captain Cannabis

Captain Cannabis Banned

I'm a biologist.

7. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

i'm a biochemist

you can pm me the question or just post it in here.

8. NotMe

NotMe Member

PMs sent, please get back to me asap as I leave for class in about 30 minutes.

9. weedwhacker

weedwhacker TFM Bro!

i'm in AP bio right now, why not just post the questions in this forum?

10. NotMe

NotMe Member

The survey is in a word document and it would be much easier to keep it that way.

11. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

copy paste?

12. NotMe

NotMe Member

Im leaving for class in like 10 minutes so please try to blaze through this isf you can.

• Please state your professional field of study and your university affiliation or employer.

• Please state whether you are an academic professional or a workplace professional.

• The following is a list of commonly used discourse community communication tools. Please check the items that are used by professionals in your field.

¨Academic or professional journals

¨Academic or professional conferences, newsgroups or online forums

¨Newsletters published by your employer or university affiliate for professionals in your field

¨Professional websites for which you must be a member in order to receive information from

¨National or local organizations that you hold membership in

¨Other

• If you checked academic or professional journals, please list at least three of which you read or have written for.

• If you checked academic or professional conferences, newsgroups or online forums, please list any that you are a contributing member of.

• If you checked newsletters, professional websites, or national or local organizations, please list them.

• If you checked other, please list the communication tool and provide a short description of it.

• List any common published goals held by professionals in your field.

• List any writing genres that are specifically used by professionals writing in your field. (Examples include empirical report, case studies, literature reviews, etc.)

• Currently, what are the top three “hot topics” of discussion in your field?

• Please give an example of field-specific jargon that is crucial language for professionals in your field, but is not part of the general public knowledge.

• What type of documentation style is used by professionals in your field for scholarly articles?

• Finally, please provide the student with a recent article from your discourse community that is representative of its writing style.