Any U.S. cities that have similar feel to what it was like in the 1960s?

Discussion in 'U.S.A.' started by hippiemoonbeam, Jan 16, 2022.

1. hippiemoonbeam

hippiemoonbeam Members

Are there any cities in the U.S. that still have that feeling of what it was like in the Haight or similar places during the 60's? Any cities still keeping the 60s freak flag flying into 2022?

Toker likes this.
  2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i can't speak for today, but as sf was dying down, portland oregon was preserving the vibe. that was in the 80s though.
    i wouldn't expect cities or u.s. cities. things don't last that long. but maybe they could come around again is some unexpected place.
    i don't think there are very many of us still around now who remember what that was then, nor was i part enough of it to say.
    i see this is a new thread so maybe someone will.

Toker likes this.
  3. MidtownMind

MidtownMind Hip Forums Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Although it has become marginally more commercial over the past 10-15 years, Yellow Springs, Ohio, is a very cool little place, with a lot of wonderful people.

kinulpture likes this.
  4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I keep meaning to drive over there...

kinulpture likes this.
  5. MidtownMind

How far are you?

6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Less than 1/2 hour...

7. MidtownMind

I’m about 15-20 mins from there myself.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  8. zer0

zer0 Members

I didn't exist in the 60s lol but I've noticed if you dig around most major US cities you'll find a small but substantial Bohemian quarter that may be similar? Usually it's just a few blocks of shops & maybe a park, but it's always cool to find each city's hidden gem. In Atlanta it's Little Five Points, in NYC it's Alphabet City (though mostly trendy nowadays), Philly's is Fishtown, Seattle has Belltown. Whenever I visit a new city I make it a treasure hunt to find where all the artists & hippies are hanging out. Hint: usually all you gotta do is google a vegetarian restaurant and you've found it haha

Toker and kinulpture like this.
  9. mountain_seed

mountain_seed Members

Mount Shasta, CA

kinulpture likes this.
  10. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

11. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

if you're not talking about living on the streets because no, then new orleans has a good vibe. fairfield iowa has the tm vibe. but not really, though there's pockets of buddhists in arizona, boulder, sidona, and nova scottia following the trungpa movement. i wouldn't recommend that though.

there's no good vibes following drug scenes any longer. by the 60's haight vibe i think you really meant the following the dead acid dealers vibe. and that's all gone. drug dealing in general is all bad vibes now

12. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

Aint traveled like i used to. But 9th st durham. Tate st grnsboro both nc.

13. Toker

Toker Lifetime Supporter

Black Rock City, Nevada. When it exists. It began in San Francisco on a beach. Berkeley too. Both places are for rich hippies tho.

Most actual cities don't attract the hippie vibe as that is not condusive to the natural lifestyle.

Communes are going extinct as the old hippies die off. It's sad to see that generation fade.

But it seems millennials are picking up where we left off. They don't want the 9 to 5 or life in expensive cities. They're into experiences more than materialism. So the spirit lives on!