Any tips for extraction?

Discussion in 'Cacti Delecti' started by GTA83, Apr 8, 2005.

1. GTA83

GTA83 Member

I have quite a good size amount of peruvian torch cactus and tried a 16 gram dose that was dried ,ground up to a fine powder, and capsulated. I was hoping for sompthing along the lines of a pure mescaline trip which i had last summer. However the other alkaloids in the cactus made the experience very different such as about a 3 hour come up time to reach peak, very extended nausea, not nearly as energetic, feeling as if throat was somewhat swollen adding to the nasuea, annoying lockjaw, feeling of restlessness, and somewhat blurred vision with a cloudy head. once these factors were over i had a nice enjoyable 3 hour long peak and a smooth comedown.

From what i have read san pedro although raw material needed is much higher seems to produce a effect more along the lines of pure but it still does not sound like it is there.

Pure mescaline is such a clean purifying experience with none of the negatives listed above however pure extraction seems rather difficult considering the main solvents used are the dangerous hydrochloric acid, the highly carcinogenic benzene, and the highly flammable ether. The only method is rather old (1977) before which benzene was found to be so harmful.

I was wondering if anyone with chem knowhow could think of any possible easier ways to get pure or at least mostly pure product. I have thought about the boiling point of mescaline and which i believe to be around 180 c, possibly some of the other alkaloids will burn off if it is reached a lil below that point because i have heard that mesc has a abnormally high boiling point.

If anyone has any suggestions, links, ideas, or other methods which have had good results and not included the negative effects listed above it would be greatly appreciated. I want to be able to experience again the amazing properties of this hallucinagen which seems to be more of a medicine or healing tool than just a fun way to get messed up.

2. Weatherman

Weatherman Member

Go into the desert and find some peyote. Or better yet grow your own. I think that should be pretty close. Do you grow your own peruvians? If so, graft em with peyote to cut the growing time down.

3. GTA83

GTA83 Member

I actually am only interested in pure mescaline, the other alkaloids in my opinion make the experience less enjoyable and take away from how amazing the mescaline is by itself.

4. GTA83

GTA83 Member

The Peruvian i have is around equal strength to peyote in that it requires only 15-20 grams for a good effect. I think the added stomach discomfort however is from the natural cactus polymers gooping up in the stomach awhile after ingestion.

I have heard people have bolied down the material with citric acid, then evaporated the liquid and scooping up the remaining powder/tar, but have only read one report on someone actually doing that and they had bad adverse reactions to it however another report by the same indivdual consuming powder had much worse stomach nausea than most other people. Has anyone tried this boiling down and evaporating method?

5. Schlüßelberg

Schlüßelberg Member

Learn how to use a Sohxlet extractor and a chromatography column.

If you peruse the literature, you'll find that many people become nauseous, and sometimes vomit, after ingesting mescaline. I think some of the other alkaloids have some emetic activity as well; at least, that's been reported to me. ;)