Any shredders?

Discussion in 'Performing Arts' started by -steve-, Jun 2, 2006.

1. -steve-

-steve- Member

2. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

I play more like Joe Satriani with a bit of Yngwie here and there than Jason Becker, but... Sure, I'm a shredder.

3. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

I don't like the whole I can play faster than you thing. I don't like to sit there and tap my ass off or whatever. It just doesn't have a style I can dig.I also HATE this neo-classical shredding stuff.

4. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

I have long since topped being TOTALLY wowwed by fast guitar...fast doesnt neccesarily make me like the way it sounds

5. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

thank you crummyrummy.yngwie himself said most fast playing was crap.

6. -steve-

-steve- Member

Personally the only shredding i can listen to and enjoy is jason becker and martyfriedman. I do realize that speed isn't everything, not by a long shot but being technically skilled sure helps you along in youre playing. haha want to hear something fucked, that ssong in the video is originally played on violin which has only 4 strings.

7. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

yeah that's a pretty famous piece.

8. wyvern

wyvern Member

to be honest i have been playing for longer than i havent now .....im 20 and i have been playing scince i was 7 and i stopped wanting to go faster about 6 years ago and my playing has exploded, learning subtle chord changes and using arrps instead of shreading through scales at quavs and semi quavs 190+ bpm has actually made me faster and more fluid.............to be honest the only shreading worth listening to is the guitar trio those gues are amazing not just because al di meola?(or john maglaughlin/paco de lucia one of them) is playing perfect modal runs but that he is doing it with his fingers.
    man thats crazy jazzy flamenco'y stuff.
    so inspirational ...sorry all about the lecture but fuck speed its just a tool and most players posess it ......learn how to play then!!! learn how to play fast.

Peace & Hugs

Brian

9. Peace

Peace In complete harmony.

10. deadonceagain

deadonceagain mankind is a plague

i know alot of guitarest who play fast to show off, it makes me mad because eveyone is like wow and they realy suck but think they are so cool

11. joo kyle

joo kyle thisandthat

Jason becker is my favorite shredder.

12. Peace

Peace In complete harmony.

Same. Personally, I like some shredding and when used right it can sound cool but I think at soem point some shredders tend to focus less ont he sound and quality of the music and justt he speed.

13. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

That's a very hardcore version of the 24th Caprice, Peace. The girl is INSANE!! But then, classical guitar players are rather good at shredding, for they are accustomed to playing heavy duty arpeggios and such.

However, I still don't quite see the difference between what she is doing in that video and what Jason Becker's doing in the other one. They are both fantastic musicians, and are both playing paganini's music. Even though one is a classical guitar player and the other a heavy metal guitar player, what they are doing essentially is the same: playing music...and very well at that.

One may very well be entitled not to like Jason Becker's style, but that certainly does not mean he did not have the ability to play the guitar(I'm just saying this since some people thought he couldn't play shit :eek: ). Shredding is a style of music, not a way in which a musician attempts to purposely offend a listener. Incidentally, many people find this genre of music to be appealing. Equally many people are also disgusted by it, but does it matter? No, because shredders, just like any other musicians, play music based on their own beliefs. They don't play something to please the general public, but to play something because they believe in it. That's a positive thing, not negative.

14. sundew

sundew Member

Very fast, but not a nice tone to my ears.
    Thin, raspy and abrasive in a bad way...

15. Camdread

Camdread Member

Michael Romeo - Symphony X