Any self-taught musicians?

Discussion in 'Performing Arts' started by bluegypsyrain, Mar 24, 2012.

1. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

Trying to learn guitar on my own. Get stuck on some of the chords.

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I'm self taught and only play what I've written... Until a fire took most of my guitars I was doing this on my own handmade instruments. (also mostly self taught)

3. Sleeping Caterpillar

Sleeping Caterpillar Members

I self taught myself guitar at 12, and have played everyday since. But I guess to be fair as an even younger child I learned music theory on piano and clarinet. I didn't use it for long, so today I'm slow at sheet music (since I don't ever really use it for guitar)

I read books to practice all the chords and make sure I was holding them right. Then I basically stopped using music theory for guitar as it was already kind of developed in my ear as what sounds good and bad. I spent all my time learning songs, beatles, zepplin, chili peppers, smiths, cure, and radiohead were big influences for me until I decided to spend most my time like tyrsonwood writing my own music.

I really got into home studio recordings. Every year I try to add to my music studio with effects pedals, new intstruments, cables, whatever I can afford. I've literally recorded over a thousand songs, but only 20 of them I ever play live.

Passion is what drove all of this for me, you need to practice everyday is the most important piece. You can watch documentaries on how sleep improves brain function, and with repetition of learning finger patterns on an intstrument and sleep, you can improve daily.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rosaly

Rosaly Members

I'm self-taught guitar player.

1 person likes this.
  5. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

I'm mostly self taught. I took an instructional class a couple years ago, but after dealing with my teachers (their pride was teaching kids for a yearly show they put on),
    and they other lady friends (they're lesbian) I said fuck it and quit. If Hendrix didn't need to read music, I don't either.

They didn't teach what I play anyway. First day I showed up with a down tuned guitar- C#, and light string on it too for easy bending, well she was beside herself. I told her
    since they're light strings we can bring it up to E# standard, so we did that.

Glad all that crap's over with now. I just play like I play. No boss. They wouldn't like my music anyway. I'd fry their ears.

6. magickman

At the show I told her "I could" put the amp in Distortion mode! Damn she about freaked out! LMAO

7. magickman

Belly dancing? hmm interesting.