Any other struggling guitarist out there?

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by el demente, May 15, 2020.

1. el demente

el demente Supporters HipForums Supporter

Steve is indeed great

2. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I am still struggling with winter wind.That section at 3:20, descending in thirds and fourths still catches me.

Perhaps I should have settled for learning the guitar, :yum:

3. onceburned

onceburned Banned

you will learn "economy of movement" relax and for awhile try not to look at you left hand for a bit. learn to feel " the grip" of the chord. and the picking hand as well, learn to use alternate and sweep picking also with small moves. if you are picking downward, lean the pick down and vice versa . this helps your speed

el demente likes this.
  4. onceburned

onceburned Banned

the idea is to keep the pick from getting trapped between the strings. if you have to lift the pick out from between the strings to pick another string it will slow you down. sometimes you cant help it. and always picking downward , as we all do in the beginning, will slow you down as well

el demente likes this.
  5. Tman58

Tman58 Senior Member

After hacking away at the guitar over the years, I have a few songs I can play. It's not easy to learn but I just have fun so it's never a stuggle. Like anything else worth learning, you have to work hard. Keep at it and keep it fun!

6. Angelmama

Angelmama Angel Lifetime Supporter

John Lennon started on a banjo and look how far he went.
    That's a good suggestion.

7. rasta g child

rasta g child flower power

Devil$ $how

8. el demente

Well we all know this guy didn't struggle like us mere mortals. Rest Easy my friend.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  9. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I think what I notice most about Eddie is the practice. That's what I think of when I hear him play. Same thing with like Yngwie, or maybe even Steve Vai, but more so formerly now with Eddie Van Halen. What an amazing musician! He was... R.I.P. :(

10. el demente

You can only wonder on the number of struggling guitarist who used Eddie as inspiration to be more. The music of Van Halen helped shape my generation and played a big part in the course of music.

11. Pete1161

Pete1161 Members

Can you play a 12 bar

12. el demente

I have not particularly worked on a 12 bar blues progression. I do have a pocketful of chords I know and I do some work with the A minor pentatonics with the Blues note added in. Most of my work the last few years has been concentrated on some of the simpler stuff that Joe Satarini does, a progression of individual notes with bends, slides, pull offs etc. I've been really considering working more on the slide.