Any other "farm kids"?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by metro, May 31, 2004.

1. metro

metro self-banned

I grew up on a dairy farm and I'm just wondering if there are any other people at hipforums that have as well. For some reason it doesn't seem likely. I loved it though, it's a great life on a small family farm.
    cheers~metro

2. alex714

alex714 To the Left

nope not i
    and am i ever grateful for growing up in an urban city, id hate growing up on a farm.

3. Jetblack

Jetblack Senior Member

i grew up in baltimore...a concrete farm none the less

4. antithesis

antithesis Hello

No, I didn't, but I always wished that I did. Luckily I did grow up in the country though with lots of woods and fields. I thank sweet jesus that I did not grow up in a city.

5. dirtybongwater

dirtybongwater Member

Was born and raised in the city, but for the first 12 years of my life i would spend the entire summer on my grandparents farm.120 acres in the middle of no where. Its definitely where i got my love for the outdoors from.

6. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

I grew up in a very small , farmish town and my family has a history of farmers and other hardworking people.

7. Chronic4:20

Chronic4:20 Member

I grew up on a farm and stil live and work one everyday. It's not really all that bad even though we have no mall or any thing like that out here.

8. Sunnie

Sunnie Jes-Jes

I didn't grow up on a farm, but an hamlet of about 5 other houses and families clumped together about 15minutes out of town in the middle of nowhere pretty much.

9. meishka

meishka Grease Munky

i moved into town last summer. but i can still spit without opening my mouth. i recon

10. metro

metro self-banned

Do ya reckon the crops will be any good this year? Shucks, I becha I kin spit farther'n ya'll kin. Them gul-dang calves are a bellerin', better git'm fed up. Dang, gots me some cows ta milk now, catch ya later.

No, I'm from the "dairy" state, we don't speak this way. I'm pleased to see other country folk here[​IMG]. I agree bird_migration, farmers are very hardworking people and usually very nice too. Dirtybongwater- I too derived much of my love for the outdoors from living in the country, we have 360 acres of forest and even more farmland. I also grew to love nature while growing up in Alaska in my (even)younger years.

11. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

I grew up in a smaller town but I spent alot of time on my grandparent's farm...every weekend.

12. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

One of my favorite places is my grandparents farm in rural Maryland. I´ve always loved going there, the quiet, the big red barn, the windmill with vines entangling it, the foxes and deer, the ponds, the woods. A very special place to me.My grandpa died a few years back, but I swear you can still feel his presence there, among his endless antique collections.

13. Crayon

Crayon Member

I grew up in about 30 different apartments in the ghetto...raised birds...went to rock and mineral shows...and spent as lil time as possible in the ghetto as I could :p

14. Chronic4:20

Chronic4:20 Member

How many acres do they farm? B/c last week alone i farmed atleast 360 acres

15. StellaBlue

StellaBlue Senior Member

I lived on a farm for a few years in foster care, it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Sometimes when theres nothing to do but work and think, you can't help but find yourself.

16. themnax

themnax Senior Member

not a farm kid but a boonies kid. my dad worked for the railroad in all the stations and switch tower up and down what was then the sacramento devision of the southern pacific, which was the route of the first transcontinental railroad where it crossed the sierra's at donner summet, which was known localy as 'the hill'. so i grew up in several of the small towns, villages, company towns, et c., mostly quite rural all up and down along there. starting kindergarten in truckee, living many of my school years in colfax and graduating the last six months of high school in auburn. living several times on and off at norden and for brief periods of time in even strainger smaller places like blue cannion, emergant gap, shed 10, andover, eder, soda springs, and so on, and often visiting places like boca, hobart mills, verdi, ferad, applegate, clipper gap and so on. and even walking from colfax to places like chicago park, peardale, iowa hill, forrest hill, yankee jim's and even grass valley and nevada city. my dad told me about taking long walks by himself when he was my age when i was in kindergarten and so i started doing so myself. the forrest was my surcease and my sanctuary. it was the healing and salvation of my mind when i was in school, especialy the small town high school i attended in colfax. he never had a car until the year i graduated so we used to do a lot of walking everywhere. for longer trips he had his pass and we could ride on the trains for free. this was long befor amtrak. but even amtrak let us ride for half faire with it when he was still working for them (the s.p. not amtrak).

(yes we walked to the grocery store and anyplace else we wanted to go in town. the schools had bussess though so i never had to walk to them, except when i didn't get to the bus stop on time and missed them. i think this only happend once or twice. it WAS a LONG walk when i did, but i WAS used to walking. not everyday TO school, but many afternoons and weekends after getting back FROM school)
    other then colfax, truckee and auburn, most of those 'towns' didn't have much 'town' to them. just a place on the railroad, with a desk and a bunch of phones and communication radios and signals and switches and an old all upper case manual underwood for copying train orders off the dispatcher's line. and the rest of 'town' might consist of one general store and post office, and maybe a few dozzen houses.
    well during the school year i stayed with my mom in one of the real towns but sometimes in the summer i got to stay with my dad in those little odd railroad places where that was pretty much all there was at the time. that and all the little critters and everything that lived out in the woods.

17. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I spent 5 years on a farm, when my parents and I were living with my grandparents for a short period, it was really fun! I really got in to doing all of that work, I didn't mind it at all!