Any North Carolina peeps out there ??

Discussion in 'North and South Carolina' started by hippietoad, May 8, 2004.

1. mamaluv

mamaluv Member

where u at in nc?

2. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

Mui? Banner Elk. Couple miles north of boone, i think.

3. mamaluv

mamaluv Member

ahh, das cool. i dont even knowyou or talk to you but for some weird reason i thought u were from chapel hill, i used to stay up there, so thats the only reason i asked. how would you rate boone over asheville? anyone?

4. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

I's would have to says that Asheville's a lots cooler than Boone's.

5. momma_with_Dreads

momma_with_Dreads Member

Asheville here....:)

6. earthfairy

earthfairy Member

asheville rocks my socks

7. Jaque Imo

Jaque Imo Up on The Lowdown

Theres tons of NC people man this is nuts!

8. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

i miss the mountains, i havent been much this summer........ gotta get up there and go camping soon. Who wants to meet me in Boone for a weekend camping trip??????????????????????????

9. Jaque Imo

Jaque Imo Up on The Lowdown

That'd probably be a blast, should try to get many people together.

10. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

that wold be awesome.......... i am not from boone tho so i don't know all the good camping spots. any suggestions???? i usually just camp at Jordan Lake up near Raleigh......

11. mamaluv

mamaluv Member

theres state parks to camp in, but im not from there so dont listen to me, somebody else probly knows more

12. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

Hey, I'm in SC now, but prolly moving up to around Raleigh-Chapel Hill area next summer. We just found out this morning that my step-daughter's family is moving there this month, and her daddy (my hubby) doesn't want to be so far away...like 4-5 hours.

13. ohjinn

ohjinn Member

Well i'm finally making that move to Asheville i've been planning for a year. Expedited by the fact that the county of Dare (evil and moneygrubbing bastards) has declared the duplex i'm in an illegal duplex, even though i'm the only tenant, and i'm being evicted. the realtor told me that the county wants the property but the owner is unwilling to sell and so they're making his life hell in order to gently convince him it's in his best interest, looking for anything to fine him with. It better be that. I locked in a fairly good rent rate 2 years ago and then rent skyrocketed so i have sneaking suspicions that the owner may be trying to get rid of the tenants (downstairs left last month-evicted) as an excuse to get new tenants and jack up the rent 150 percent. This beach blows. I'm so sick of all the bullshit politics and gouging at the expense of the local citizens. Okay, just a little pissed, pardon. But i love asheville! And so i will be embracing the blue ridge mountains in a little more than a month! Just wanted to say hello to all my future mountain neighbors! And honestly, i was just bitching for a minute, i'm a very nice person if anyone is interested in meeting up!:D

14. makno

makno Senior Member

ashville is a realy cool place ....im in chattanooga and it sucks nashville and ashville are where ya gotta go from here to meet humans !

15. hippietoad

hippietoad Member

I hear ya...I'm in Nags Head. It's crazy living here. If it weren't for all my family I'd move. Right now we're paying $1200 a month rent. My mom lives in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia and the cost of living is so much cheaper and believe me, the pay is alot better. This place is nothing like when I was a kid. People moved here for our serenity and the first thing they did was turn it into the place they just came from. Go figure.

16. happy

happy Member

i just came back from the outer banks yesterday. I was staying at kitty hawk. i want to move down there when im of age

17. ohjinn

ohjinn Member

Well Happy, as long as you don't need a living wage there will be plenty of great places to work. The past two years has seen the grand opening of Home Depot, Sonic, Outback Steakhouse, 3 Eckards and a Walgreens in a 6 mile strip, and most recently the illustrious and oh so tasteful Hooters. I mean, this place is just dripping with charm lately. Just don't mind having to share a house with 5 other people so you can make rent and ignore the steadily increasing taxes on groceries and restaurant meals the county keeps adding on to "help preserve the dunes". Keeping all these assholes that are traipsing across every hill like it's a beach access with their umbrella bearing entourage might do wonders for that. Or hey- not driving monstrous stakes into every available square inch of sand to support 4 story mansions might slow it down a tad too. Hippietoad, i cannot imagine what it is like for people like you who have seen this beautiful area turn into a commercial dump. Sorry, it's kind of harsh but i cannot stand it anymore. It just looks like it's entirely fueled by greed and money mongering. Nags Head Woods and Pea Island are the only places i can really relax anymore. I'm sure they'll find some way to take that too.

18. Old Fart

Old Fart Member

Living wage?? In the Outer Banks?? There isn't one! The place has a interesting problem. The average home is now well over $350,000 while the average wage is about $48,000. If I moved here today, I couldn't afford to live here. I'm guessing that we'll soon see some sort of topping out. Weekly vacation rentals are down. What use to be a confirmed 21 plus weeks is now 14. Most of that has to do with the there being way more vacation homes than there are tourists but there's something to be said for the Outer Banks losing the appeal it once had for many. It's no longer the quiet little beach town it once was. Thankfully nearly all the different town managers are now making at least some effort to retain what charm we have left (how much is questionable). Kill Devil Hills is still the total slut of the place. They'll allow nearly anything to be built without regard for how it will look. Duck is fighting tooth and nail to keep their small town appearance. Nags Head is attempting the same thing as Duck. Southern Shores has become extremely strict with their building guidelines. Kitty Hawk is also fighting to keep what they have. It's still a wonderful place to live if we can make it thru each summer madness and you don't have to drive by that ugly friggin house OBX Construction built down at mile post 19. What a damn eyesore!! I think the place has 14 bedrooms.

19. hippietoad

hippietoad Member

I hear ya...Nags Head Woods is beautiful. Sometimes we drive through there just to take a look at actual trees :) Yeah, it is hard. And you are absolutely right about jobs. It's terrible. Working for peanuts and then a lot of places close down for the winter. People come on vacation and decide they just have to live here but are very disillusioned once they have spent a hardy winter here. Then, I enjoy the solitude of winter myself. We get our island back. My father came up from Hatteras yesterday and we had lunch. He said that even though the island is getting more and more traffic at least it isn't here. Lol. Poory Guy. Anyways, glad to see a neighbor here.

20. white_raven

white_raven Member

another from Asheville