Any Neal Stephenson fans out there?!

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi Books' started by chr0nicles, Aug 4, 2010.

1. chr0nicles

chr0nicles Member

Hello all,

New poster here, and new to the West Coast! I've yet to meet any other nerdy sci-fi fans out here who are into any of Neal Stephenson's work: Snow Crash, Diamond Age, Anathem, etc...

These are some well thought out, easily approachable modern sci-fi that are quite intelligent and could probably be enjoyed by someone who might not be ready for an Asimov or Vernor Vinge type of "deep" sci-fi! I love them! He also has a trilogy called the "Baroque Cycle" that starts with a book called Quicksilver that is really freaking cool! Hardly light reading, as each book is like, 700+ pages, but it is kind of an historical fiction, science based mind trip that I really enjoyed as well!

Well, if you haven't heard of him, go check out Neal Stephenson, I think you'll be glad you did!

- chr0nicles

2. Spicey Cat

Spicey Cat DMT Witch (says husband)

Hi There,

i loved his earlier works, "Snowcrash" and especially "The Diamond Age" (Hugo award winner for 1995). Cannot wrap my noodle around the newer works.

But, it is worth mentioning that he wrote another important book in the 1990's under the pseudonym Stephen Bury called "Interface." This book was amazing when it first came out. i have made a point of reading it EVERY SINGLE ELECTION (presidential) year since then. It is becoming more dated, and yet, ironically, more realistic. Great stuff.

Peace & Love,
    Spicey Cat
    Purrrr!

3. pdcrofts

pdcrofts Member

Yep, agreed, Snow Crash and Diamond Age are my favourites too. With Cryptonomicon his novels began to become too long for me, but I persevered with that one and it was worth it. I must say though I have never been able to face his System of the World series.

What I like about his work is the way he explains technologies (both existing and sci-fi) and historical events in a way which makes them accessible and interesting.

4. lucid_nicole

lucid_nicole Guest

Yes, I absolutely love Cryptonomicon and it's party because of this book that I emphasized in Cryptography when I was getting my CS degree. :)

5. Frogfoot

Frogfoot Member

I'd like him more if he had an editor with a blowtorch.:) I do love Snow Crash and Diamond Age. I read an earlier novel called Zodiac which was OK. I have Cryptonomicon and the first three of The Baroque Cycle novels (apparently split from a massive original novel) but haven't yet read any of them.

Since you mentioned him, I want to say that there are many Asimov novels (the early Foundation and Robot ones in particular) that make for great light reading.

6. Gistri

Gistri Guest

I too loved those two books, and can't quite grok the newer material.

That sounds interesting. I've also heard about "Feed" by M. T. Anderson; it's likewise held to be somewhat prescient.

7. birsha

birsha Member

Likewise LOVED his earlier stuff. Liked Cryptonomicon and then couldn't make it through the first book in the Baroque cycle.

Anathem on the other hand was freaking awesome. It was a huge book, but entertaining enough I could have dealt with it being twice as long.

8. chzeppelin

chzeppelin Member

I just bought Cryptonomicon after hearing about from some of my computer science buddies, while I'm not into CS myself, I can see how the book can become an engrossing read