Any Moomin sightings?

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by luvndrumn, May 20, 2004.

1. luvndrumn

luvndrumn Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Hello all. The denizens of The Big Green Field who sometimes travel Through The Looking Glass (HoneySuckleBlue's and mariestacy's personal forums, respectively) have been looking for Moominpapa and wondering about Moominmomma. Has anyone seen or heard from them? A scan of the member list shows that they are AWOL from the forums. Such dereliction of duty can not be tolerated and they must be held accountable for their (in)actions and whereabouts.

In all seriousness, does anyone have news of them?:confused:

And if any would like to stop on by the two aforementioned forums, I don't think the ladies would mind. Just be sure to bring a sense of humor (zaniness scores high marks:D ) and a proper disposition.;)

Thanks for any word.:)

2. Enonemouse

Enonemouse Happy Wanderer

Speak to Moominmamma on MSN regularly and she is still around. Momminpappa is doing exams so may be away for a bit. Hope that helps.

Love & info
    EnonEmouse

3. kier

kier I R Baboon

ive seen some posts of moonimammas, she is around :)

4. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

I was just thinking the same thing last night ... I miss the Moomins!

5. luvndrumn

Thank you kindly, lady. How are you doing these days?

May chocolate come your way today.;)

6. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

awwwwwwwwww.........luv thanks for the investigation work. you are in high regards even if you are discusting!;)

7. HoneySuckleBlue

HoneySuckleBlue Cosmic Artist

Oh how wonderful!! Good news, he is well, just busy.

Thank you luv...and the zanier the better!!

There should almost be an award...

8. luvndrumn

Oh, no no no, me dear!! I'm in Karmic Balance!;)

9. SpiderJerusalem

SpiderJerusalem Banned

moominmama and pappa are offline, thanks to my botched router installation(i followed the instruction manual, it just didn't work, and now the computer won't connect to the internet) . Am now hiding round girlfreinds to avoid a moominlynching . Hopefully moominmama and papa will be back online at somepoint next week .

10. Enonemouse

I doubt Momminpappa will be spending that much time on line as Moominmamma said he was about to do exams. How did you kill it what happened. If there is anything I can do I could pop up there and have a looky at it. I assume you where trying to install a network for them. If Sue wants I can see what I can do our house has two different hubs and all sorts of funky things.

Love & Laughter
    EnonEmouse

11. SpiderJerusalem

SpiderJerusalem Banned

True about me dad and exams, but i know that he secretly likes to sneak online and check the forums, he just doesn't have time to post . To be honest with u i'm not sure whats wrong with the net connection . Moominpappa bought a router so i could use the internet with my computer at home, and so he could take bits of work home and do them on the laptop . He told me to install the router, cos he didn't have the time and i followed the very very basic instructions, ie plug it in, plug the cables from the computers toghether . I then ran the cd that came with the router, which was meant to autodetect the connections and access the internet it failed, and all the attempts to work through the connections wizard by hand also failed . So we unwired the router and plugged the net back in, and it wouldn't work . We've tried it on both our computers and neither can get online . We rang the tech support line and they had us try lots of things which still didn't work . They told us that it was our machines messing up, which is probably a lie cos we have reguarly lost our connection before and had difficulties with ntl our service provider,but this is the worst yet. I'm gonna ring home later and see how things are going, but we may have to get one of the ntl people round which will cost . It'll probably just be compatibility problems, but who knows? penny for anyones thoughts and advice?

12. Enonemouse

NTL is a real pain. I know so many people who have had so many problems with them. Have you run an uninstall on the router software? That might be still messing up the computers. Are you running Windows XP, ME, 98, 95 what? If it is XP you should be able to go to a restore point from before the router and restore it to there and see if that works. What make is the router? Where was it bought? Will they help at all? How many computers where you trying to contect? So many questions!!!!!!! Another question I asume your their son as well????

Love & Stupid Computers
    EnonEmouse

13. SpiderJerusalem

SpiderJerusalem Banned

Thank u everyone who pm'd me . I am indeed the moomins eldest child, their only regret is not calling me Snufkin, they settled for the more mundane Dave .
    Right now for the more technical side of things . The problem is the system we designed has a a disclaimer in its small print, saying it may not work in the uk . The cable it wants to use to connect to the internet is fine for a standard phone port, but we connect through a proper DSL connection and the cable is incompatible with it, so we are now looking for an adaptor to make it work, if it costs too much we'll just send the router back . Still can't figure our why the computers won't conenct once we take the router out .
    Both machines run XP our service providers ntl, and the router is a netgear dg834g .

14. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

That sounds a bit odd - the Netgear is an ADSL router but NTL is cable not DSL. DSL plugs into your phone line, but with NTL you will either have a standalone cable modem or a digital set-top box. These both have ethernet ports (looks like a large phone plug), not the little phone sockets. There's no such thing as an adapter to make the little DSL phone plug work with an ethernet port.

Looks like you might have to send the router back. I can recommend a Linksys WRT54G which has ewxactly the same specs and works fine with NTL. It's about £60 from Amazon.co.uk.

15. SpiderJerusalem

SpiderJerusalem Banned

thanks showmet . Moominpapa has tried all of those tings, and they just don't seem to work .