Any hip animators out there?

Discussion in 'Art' started by zer0, Feb 14, 2022.

1. zer0

zer0 Members

All my life I've been on a quest to find an animator for a lot of the music and story ideas I have. But either they're a rare bunch or they keep to themselves. Anyone out there who would be up for a collaborative work?

Or if nobody has the time, can I get some tips on how to learn animation myself? I see a lot of basic stuff on youtube which seems really simple but effective. I'm sure with the right app even a novice can throw together a professional looking product in a few days. Right?

Style isn't set in stone, although I'm partial to the groovy psychedelic animations of the 60s-70s ("Fantastic Planet" or even "Yellow Submarine")

DrRainbow and ~Zen~ like this.
  2. Space City Spaceman

Space City Spaceman Members

Just found your post, I'm still relatively new to this site. Do you already have existing music tracks and only need animations to go with it? If so, please describe the quantity and types of tracks (genre, theme, style...etc.) I am an artist and do my own style of animations to go with music. I am open to collaboration for the right kind of content.

3. zer0

zer0 Members

Hey great to meet ya! I'm new to this site also but I dig the vibe here!

I have a ton of 90% finished songs... sort of awaiting a video idea to finalize that final 10%. My background is in film & video soundtracks so the way I've always worked is to see the images first, then compose the music to go along with it. That's why it's kinda backwards for me to do the music first, if that makes any sense!

But just to give you an idea of the style, here's a couple unfinished works. I didn't write these songs, they're ...uh... creative re-imaginings of obscure old songs from the 80s.

"New Girl Now" (I have a video idea for this already, using old clips of silent films)

"The Crossing - Part 3 - Winter" (no ideas, except it's the winter part of a 4-part seasonal piece)

"One Great Thing" (no ideas)

How about you, do you have a YT channel or website with your work? If we can settle on a cool theme it would be great to start something totally new. I'm big on themes of nature, peace, fixing this screwed up planet, yaknow the standard hippy stuff ;) but with a clear storyline driving it.

4. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

@DrRainbow you should chime in here :) I see he is working on something right now!

5. DrRainbow

DrRainbow Ambassador of Love

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will check it out.

Space City Spaceman likes this.
  6. DrRainbow

Your stuff is awesome!

zer0 and Space City Spaceman like this.
  7. DrRainbow

I love your taste in music Zer0. Have you ever considered having your music video feature anime? Gorillaz style?? CGI singer/band?

zer0 likes this.
  8. Space City Spaceman

Quick response about my work...

My art involves my own music/songs, lyrics/poetry, photography/videos, digital artwork both static images and motion works (mini movies), and formal literary writing.

Here is an original composition I wrote in 1985, recorded around 2010, created and published music video last month (link below).

The image in the video is one of my earlier art creations of this genre. I created and edited the sequences.

On the same Space City Spaceman youtube channel is currently one other of my original songs with video footage called Blue Skies. And also currently 10 nature videos with music by other artists. These are all very basic examples of future, more sophisticated and advanced digital art and other concepts that will be released in the near future.

zer0 likes this.
  9. zer0

zer0 Members

Thanks Rain! You're the second person who's suggested I check out Gorillaz and I'm doing that right now, and it's really impressive. I would totally dig an anime video like that. Maybe with a retro Yellow-Submarine psychedelic vibe somehow. Are you an anime artist?

DrRainbow likes this.
  10. zer0

zer0 Members

Very cool! I'm watching it as I type. What software do you use? And have you considered doing a narrative idea with characters and a storyboard?

11. Space City Spaceman

Each individual digital art is created through a number of steps starting with my taking a photo of something, then I abstract it in various ways using tools similar to photoshop, then some creations move to more advanced dev using animation tools, then some will be compiled into a track with one or more songs. The most advanced project is a movie of about 90 minutes that includes very advanced art and digital sequences. This first movie will have a music soundtrack of known artists pending attaining synch licenses.

Regarding storyboard, yes, most of my own songs tell a story and before recording the tracks to the production team. For example, Welcome to the Universe is a story about bringing intelligent ETs to visit earth and the human race.. Blue Skies is about the young Spaceman contemplating his existence and nature. The other songs (to be released this year) on my first album is part of a bigger story that will continue on albums 2 and 3, a kind of Space Trilogy. Hope to get a chance to make all of it into a real Hollywood -level movie trilogy.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
    zer0 and DrRainbow like this.
  12. DrRainbow

I am working on my first anime show.

zer0 and Space City Spaceman like this.
  13. Space City Spaceman

The nature videos are not meant to be sophisticated, just to enjoy viewing real nature up close for people who like that sort of thing. But a real opportunity for you to create some music if that matches your approach to having some content to look at to create a track.

14. zer0

zer0 Members

Dude that's badass. Have you heard of Billy Thorpe "Children of the Sun"? Late 70s/early 80s space rock opera that spanned 3 albums. The music was mindblowing and I think he had plans to turn it into a film or theatrical work, but death came for him first :(

But that's the kind of thing that gets me motivated, a huge ambitious work that combines music, storytelling and visuals. I don't suppose we've seen that sort of epic concept since the days of The Who or David Bowie

Space City Spaceman likes this.
  15. zer0

zer0 Members

For real?? Got any clips to share? And more importantly, need any music??

DrRainbow likes this.
  16. Space City Spaceman

Thanks for checking the music videos and love the enthusiasm of your feedback.

Remember the artist Billy Thorpe but didn't realize the trilogy aspect of his work. Will research this more as sounds interesting.

Love the references to the works of Bowie and The Who as I also feel that connection, at least in my aspiration to create epic tales narrated with operatic, cinematic rock music.

zer0 likes this.
  17. DrRainbow

[​IMG]

This is the Titlescreen to the opening. I am still working on this so I have not moved on to animation but I will return to it soon.

I have much more music.​

zer0 likes this.
  18. DrRainbow

19. DrRainbow

20. DrRainbow