Any Guys Do Any Crafts Or Anything?

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by gingeroot, Nov 26, 2016.

1. gingeroot

gingeroot Members

Back at the farm I used to do some amateur blacksmithing. I was never very good but I was still learning. I had a stick welder for awhile and got into playing with that but they sold it or traded it or something so I never had the chance to get any good with it.

I always loved fixing engines and making weird electronic stuff from old junk I'd find. I really liked making furniture out of old wood like pallets and wood spools. It's something I really miss.

Anyway anyone here do anything like that?

2. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Basket weaving.

3. gingeroot

gingeroot Members

Did it once out of plastic grocery bags. There is a certain meditative quality to it's mindlessness, but it's not for me.

4. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

I built a computer memory from scratch using regular copper wires, wood cuts, and binary switches, if that counts as "Crafts".

5. gingeroot

gingeroot Members

I'm not sure if you're kidding or not.

6. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

Not kidding. It's pretty antiquated though. Something you might see from the 1930s-1940s.

7. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

Good topic.
    I enjoy designing jewelry as a hobby or craft. I draw and doodle, then mockup rings, necklaces, and belly button charms.
    I buy my own diamonds and opals.
    I give my art and mockups to my trustworthy jeweler of 20+ years. In a few weeks/month he makes and finishes my vision.
    My wife only owns and wears jewelry I've had made for her. Nothing is store bought or window shopped. All my pieces are one-of-a-kind like her, and she loves it that way.

8. gingeroot

gingeroot Members

Do any sand casting? I hear regular sand is Ok but a good blend is invaluable.

Also I need A crappy uncut rock.

9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Sure! Lots of guys are into world of warcraft.

10. OldDude2

OldDude2 Newbie

Crafts are for girls ........ or guys raised by girls.
    Unless you include building a log cabin with an axe as a craft.0\

Does casting my own bullets count as a craft?

11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I had to read that twice

2 people like this.
  12. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

IKR. All the uncut ones are crappy.

13. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I've never cast jewelry but lots of aluminum.

Regular sand for casting is coarse, play sand is finer and you can use it, but you can buy molding sand which has a clay binder added to it. Water can be mixed with sand (green sand) for casting and it works well but is harder to work with than oil based petrobond sand. Petrobond is stickier and will hold the mold form better, but it gives off fumes as the oil burns when in contact with the metal. Also it has to be cleaned after awhile to remove the burned sand. But it gives a better casting. There are also formulas to mix core sand which is baked into shape before use in a mold for making certain types of holes in a casting.
    Here's a forum on the subject.

You can also use Styrofoam in the sand as a pattern and it will burn off as the metal enters the form. But it gives off nasty gases, so you have to have a fan or vent.

1 person likes this.
  14. MeAgain

I've dabbed in lots of crafts over the years including leather, tin plate, wrought iron, aluminum casting, silver, brass and copper forming and etching, screen printing, offset and letterpress printing, wood carving, water color, pen and ink, high contrast and black and white photography, some drypoint etching, furniture construction, welding, ceramics and some other junk. Never did much with the stuff I made other than the printing.

I just fired some hand carved ceramic tiles in my new kiln I picked up at a yard sell for $20. I used a white and a terra cotta clay. Next week I'll probably get around to glazing them.

3 people like this.
  15. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I was half a dye studio for 14 years.
    I'm an award winning photographer.
    I've live painted at 100+ events.

I've dabbled in beading, weaving, sewing, stained glass.

3 people like this.
  16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'm not a guy but I like to arts and craft. :)

At the moment I am making my own bath bombs. I'll use them as Xmas gifts because I seem to buy bath stuff for folks, figure I'd just make them instead.

I also like to paint and puzzles and make stuff like rabbit pens and fences and just some random things I enjoy really. :)

1 person likes this.
  17. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

OH, I co built a cob studio, as a trial run to a house. We developed some craftsmanship.

18. gingeroot

gingeroot Members

Yeah, I've experimented a little using sand, clay, and old motor oil. I thought I could make some money making jewelry out of brass. It was a complete failure on my part. But wouldn't mind giving it another shot.

19. MeAgain

Tough to make any money doing that stuff. I haven't cast brass but my brother has.....same as aluminum but hotter.

I took a jewelry making course once and made a silver band ring out of flat stock, earrings, crosses, stuff like that. Did some enameling, pewter etc.
    I was thinking of casting some brass for model steam engines but haven't got around to making a furnace...then I found the ceramic kiln so I'm playing with that.

Mama:
    What's a cob studio?

1 person likes this.
  20. jondalar7

jondalar7 Creating harmony on the planet

I have a small pottery shop at the moment. I think crafts are a creative outlet. I have done stained glass, welding, and cutting for metal art, made dreamcatchers, native American flutes, created two games, like the woodshop but have not gotten in there lately. built a greenhouse so making things for it is my craft and gardening is creative. I like building things of wood Can you call a 3000 ft home a craft project??

jack789louis likes this.