Anthony Bourdain dead at 61

Discussion in 'People' started by Meliai, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Anyways spiff I wont presume to know anything about your life.

1 800-273-8255

If you ever need it

2. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Still trying to find the specific post where anyone said Spiff supports and celebrates suicide.

Maybe someone will be kind enough to post a link...

3. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

post 19

i was the one who said it

i originally said i felt bad for his daughter...but that was apparently a "hateful" post so i decided to celebrate his suicide instead

lets have a party

4. Noserider

LOL you and I have flipped flopped in our philosophies recently. I recall a post not too long ago in which I said something along the lines of, "wow, that's pretty cynical," in reference to your views on people, followed by posting positive links in your thread called--and I'm paraphrasing the name here--"Prove to me People Aren't Shit" or something.

Now you're the one who is positive and I'm feeling like, people are shit, and I desperately want to flush...

5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Maybe your links worked ;)

Edit, Jk, it took me about 2 minutes of reading HF posts this morning to find my cynicism again.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Noserider likes this.
  6. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

But down in new jersey.

7. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

"Your body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride."
    -Anthony Bourdain

8. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

1-800-273-8255

If you ever need it.

9. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

I never could handle more than 2 minutes of that prick...fuck him for being a selfish douche and abandoning his kid.....people are starving to death and struggling against insurmountable odds and this fucktwat kills himself because he suffers from sadness and addiction...I dont buy it ?....something horrible is being covered up bigtime here...I will bet money on it

SpacemanSpiff likes this.
  10. Noserider

Oh, this is a thing now?

11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

This post is all over the place, fuck him for being selfish but also it probably wasnt suicide?

McFuddy likes this.
  12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Americans are depressed yet helpful people!

I did find out yesterday that a friend of mine has used that lifeline many times and it has helped walk him back from the edge. So i am grateful it exists and he is still here

13. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yes, but how do you know everyone else feels suicidal in the same way? I was a fan of Bourdain too, but it was more than obvious that he.......

........in his personal life was a self centred so and so that would have been impossible to deal with on a day to day basis. On the road doing that gig for decades, is it a case he was trapped in that wealth, with no other choice.....or he liked it that way, because it gave him time to early on shoot up, later on get blind drunk because he loved getting blind drunk the most and every other person was just too much of an irritation too quickly....because he just didnt give a shit about anyone else, didnt see it worth the time to invest in anyone

I agree with Spiff, this one pissed me off again, news stories jump straight to depression, talk about his "dark past" or his "demons" all of which seemingly he has no personal accountability for, he is some kind of fucking hero for talking about his "demons" which really just means hangovers, how "brave" of him

its not the same thing as someone that constantly feels despair, has always been down on their luck, near the poverty line, the world is too mean

This guy was just a life long miserable twat that cared more about drinking than any individual he ever met, but we are supposed to put him on a little pedestal now?

Orison likes this.
  14. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

It could be a way for people to do something....to feel useful after a tragedy like this...because when someone commits suicide, their loved ones, friends, etc just feel helpless.

I don't think it's a way to glorify suicide or put them on a pedestal, as much as it could be to assuage their own guilt (which they shouldn't feel guilty, but you know)

The idea ''I should have been able to help him'' is probably going through a lot of people's minds, who personally knew him. But, when it comes to suicide, the person might think that is the only way to stop the pain and torment that they find themselves in.

15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I dont think we are talking about the same kind of "depression" you ladies are talking about, worrying too much, feeling despair isnt the same kind of thing as getting to 61 and realizing all the drinking has melted away too much of your brain and liver to be able to cope with basic daily bodily functions

16. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

people off themselves because of shame too....also guilt....love...lots of reasons....it is still wrong to do that to your loved oes

17. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

these suicides bring back awful memories to those that have had suicides in their family or circle etc...it sucks

18. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

1-800-457-4779

Is the (US) Krispy Kreme hotline, if anyone needs that

19. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I work in healthcare and studied public health. Suicide is not a topic to make fun of or to belittle. I have seen this several shows made by this personality. I found his demeanor to be a little too coarse and vulgar for my personal taste, but I certainly understand how he could have had appeal to the masses. Many people argued that his real (i.e., off camera) persona was similar to the one he had when he was filming. Based on how much he drank and smoked added to the choices of food he consumed, I think he might have been a candidate for some closer observation.
    This is a not a universal judgment. I am also not qualified to diagnose illness. " Jus' sayin' " as the popular phrase of today goes.

20. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I don't know anything about Anthony Bourdain or why he did it. I lost my dad to suicide in 2011; I do know something about his case. He had lost all touch with reality, and it happened fast. In about 7 weeks he went from normal to completely insane, thinking people were after him, that the cops were stalking him and tapping his phone, that the bank was going to take his property. He stopped showering, eating, sleeping. I took him to the hospital where they did a MRI, or whatever, of his brain and they could find nothing wrong. I tried three times to have him committed but that is practically impossible to do in the US; they kept releasing him. Keeping an eye on him, particularly with me having to work, was a nightmare. I'd have to arrange for another family member to watch him during the day and then I'd take him at night.

He finally got away from me early one morning while I was asleep. He must have seen where I had hid his car keys. He drove over to his place and shot himself...yeah, I forgot all about the damn guns. I can't tell you how I've punished myself for that. But I can tell you that, in my dad's case at least, suicide was not a rational decision. He didn't do it for the 'glamore' or to get attention.