Another statue comes down.

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Bilby, Jun 7, 2020.

1. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Oñate no vale verga????

2. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

It’s clear I’m not going to change you mind, I could argue he had 600 slaves over the course of his life,

But then you would argue many of those 465 slaves were produced through the union of male and female slaves he owned.
    Then I would argue, so he was breeding the next generation of slaves. Sending little kids to work out in the fields for 12 hours a day.
    Then you would argue, not true, most of the little kids were working inside the estate sweeping floors, working in the kitchen, and polishing Paul Revere silver.
    Then I would argue, then explain the horrific forensic evidence found in the slave cemetery unearthed in New York City in 1991, which revealed that children as young as 6 and 7 years old showed signs of advanced arthritis and broken bones. That could have only been the result of long days of unbearable hard labor and beatings.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  3. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Why wouldn't you just research it for yourself?

I mean, if you're gonna claim to know something...

4. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

I have.

5. hotwater

I was in Boston a couple of days ago to take a look at the beheaded statue, and a picture, but it was removed and placed in storage.

btw you do realize that columbus and his crew and the european explorers that soon followed, are responsible the death of nearly 100,000,000 native inhabitants
    on both continents from the spread of disease.

Sure your people introduced Europe to syphilis, but personally I wouldn't consider that a fair trade.

6. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Yes I realize it all too well. I still don't think it helps to behead Columbus. It needlessly pisses off the Italians.

7. hotwater

Screw the Italians, the Vikings were here 500 years before Columbus stepped foot in the new world.

8. wrat

wrat Member

It's over, it's done
    The end is begun
    If you listen to fools
    The mob rules

9. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

I think not. The mob eventually fizzles out and Thermidor sets in when the bulk of the population goes home. We must do our best to resist temporary irrational impulses fueled by emotion.

10. wrat

wrat Member

Ah emotion that which will eventually lead to our downfall

11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Lolz @ the I love tacos tshirt

12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Regardless of what the cause, when it becomes a flock of sheep just following the mob mentality herd, you have to roll your eyes

13. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I don't know who you are referring to that had 600 slaves. Jefferson?

You seem to be answering the wrong post of mine.

I have no idea how many of his slaves worked in fields, how they were treated, or their ages. He did have boys age ten to sixteen work in his nail factory.
    Please note child labor was not outlawed until 1938 and it excluded agricultural labor (children working in the fields).
    The golf links lie so near the mill
    That almost every day
    The laboring children can look out
    And see the men at play.1
    Sarah N. Cleghorn

Why are you talking about a slave cemetery in New York? Did Jefferson send his dead slaves to New York to be buried?

And I don't know what this has to do with Tundra's claim that the North was the cause of the South seceding from the Union.

14. hotwater

First off I'll give you the benefit of the doubt you didn't know that Thomas Jefferson had a total of 600 slaves over the course of his life.

Secondly of course I'm not suggesting he sent his Slaves to New York, I'm only pointing out how slaves children were generally thought of
    and brutally treated at the time of Jefferson.

15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

And it just keeps getting dumber...

"Cereal giant Kellogg’s has been accused of racism by a former MP in Britain who has questioned why its popular breakfast treat Coco Pops is promoted with a monkey, while its white coloured stablemate Rice Krispies has three fair-skinned characters splashed on its box.

The former Labour politician Fiona Onasanya, who was jailed last year after she lied to police about a speeding ticket, wrote to the Kellogg’s demanding answers and shared her claims on social media.

She says there is no difference between the two cereal products other than flavour and colour."

Former MP says breakfast cereal Coco Pops is racist

16. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Getting rid of the names and statues of traitors and rebels who fought for the Confederacy is one thing. Turning on all our national heroes--Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, etc.--is another. Since they were humans, they had major flaws, glossed over in our school texts. But they are remembered for their virtues and their outstanding contributions to our national history and institutions. It is certainly ironic that the President who told us "all men are created equal, and are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" owned nearly twice as many slaves as any other president.

No nation has gotten by without its heroes. If Gandhi is now under attack, who will be safe? Can we be sure that at some point it will not occur to some #me too zealot that we can't honor an MCP who was a notorious womanizer and adulterer, namely Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in West Potomac Park, despite his pivotal role in advancing civil rights in this country. JFK would be sure to go, under the same standard. Is there a single national leader we can revere as a national hero? The ones on Mount Rushmore are all under attack. Get out the chisels! The most saintly ones I can think of, Herbert Hoover and Jimmy Carter, were also failures as presidents. The movement against statuary is in danger of going too far, triggering a backlash which will be damaging to the movement and to our nation.

MeAgain and wrat like this.
  17. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Tell that to the Italians! Memory of the Vikings didn't make much of a lasting impression.

wrat likes this.
  18. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I think the Russians were there even before the Vikings, via the 'ice bridge' across the Bering Strait !!!

19. wrat

wrat Member

Did I forget my sarcasm tag?

20. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Yes I know how many slaves Jefferson owned.
    He believed in keeping slave families together and families produce children.
    He also claimed that slave families were more valuable than non slave families as they were happier, worked harder, and yes, produced children.
    Remember at the time children were considered an asset by both free farmers and slave holders as they could work.

In Jefferson's time children were treated badly by our standards by everyone in general, not just slave holders.

I'm not claiming that Jefferson was a saint, or that he didn't own slaves or consider them an economic asset, he even thought they were inferior to whites, but he wasn't all bad, there is no evidence that he raped Sally Hemings, little evidence that he was cruel, and he did wish to end slavery.
    It is a complicated matter.