another roadside attraction

Discussion in 'Humor Books' started by wandering spirit, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Valis_77

Valis_77 Member

Yeah, I loved it too. Only read three of his so far. Love his style.

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

a central library moving DOES have an impact on the system.
    I'd put in for Inter Library Loan as soon as the main one is all moved in...or, what about a school library? US state-run colleges often allow the locals to get a card.
    As for a must read, Attraction, then Jitterbug, Still Life, Skinny Legs, Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas, Firece Invalids and Villa. I could do without ever rereading Cowgirls... but I won't get rid of it.
    Hm... should be a new one within a year or two. Is Villa in paperback yet?

3. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

i havent read Villa or Even Cowboys get the Blues yet but i havent heard much good about Even Cowboys...

4. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

I liked even cowgirls get the blues and another roadside atrraction, although my opinion of his work has faded over the years, i used to love him, now i don't think he's amazing anymore, interesting, but kind of a novelty.

5. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

thats cause you are getting old gary....and you forgot what brilliance is;) its ok...soon you will be in a nursing home thinking Steel Magnolias is the best movie ever.

6. drumminmama

His direction has changed. gee, we are looking at a 30+ year span here. He's grown. He's gotten into some weird shit. His great buddy and idea bouncer died a couple years back.
    I'm hoping he can write when his psychic batteries are charged, and not, like King, simply because some money would be nice.
    Also, for me at least, I grew also between first reads of these books.

7. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

have you read any of the others?

8. seamonster66

HA, Steel Magnolias :D

I'ver read Skinny Legs and All as well but I don't remember much of it....tried starting Still Life with Woodpecker maybe 10 years ago and must have not liked it because I just stopped reading.

I'm not trying to rip on him, he's just no Hermann Hesse. I think he's good, just not one of the best.

9. raven23

raven23 Member

If all you read is the best, you must not read much. I don't detect a snob attitude, do I?

I sometimes think that the joke was on us with a lot of Hesse's work though. Anyone who claims to understand or enjoy the Glass Bead Game usually bore the hell out of me. And the Prodigy was plain boring...

10. scarlettchasingroses

scarlettchasingroses strawberry tart

i've read all of his books....and i appreciate them all....

he's by far one of my favorite authors....

oh wait....i kind of said that already....

11. seamonster66

quote: If all you read is the best, you must not read much. I don't detect a snob attitude, do I?

Just because I say someone is good, but not one of the best I'm a snob?!
    I said I liked some of his books, sorry if I don't worship him.

Actually, you are right, sorry for stating my opinion...I should just think exactly like everyone else so as not to appear arrogant.

12. raven23

raven23 Member

well, I'm not looking to start a fight, but a do like to debate in my ham-fisted way.so here goes.
    So Tom Robbins is not Herman Hesse. Those of us who have read him, those of us even who put him on our top five, would even agree. What I meant to say is it's redundant. So he's not one of those mid-blowing classic authors.
    ok....so i've given it some thought and maybe i see your point. Tom Robbins is not of the caliber of HH. If you've never read him and you see people like me raving, you might imagine he is, so you want to know we aren't talking about some conciousnes-changing author. He's in amiddle ground, though. Makes steven king and john grisham look like shit, but is no shakespere...

13. seamonster66

quote: Makes steven king and john grisham look like shit,but is no shakespere...

Exactly

14. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

i am with you scarlett....he is absolutely one of my favs too...well actually he is my favourite.

15. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

bahahaha...i love you, you dork

16. Lotus Butterfly

Lotus Butterfly Member

Hey, what's with knocking Stephen King just because he's a best selling author? Most people that knock him probably haven't read him. Anyway, there shouldn't be any comparison to Robbins, King, or Hesse. They are all different in their own ways. Isn't that the beauty of reading a book? Actually Tom Robbins and Stephen King have been 2 of my favorite authors for a long time maybe because they both have a way of taking the weird and twisted and putting it in a great context. The only book I've read by Hesse was "Siddartha" which I loved! I find it very limiting to enjoy only one style of writing but I guess I'm like that with alot of things...I like to remain open.

17. drumminmama

geez.. a guy come on a public board with a mild opinion and you rip him? no wonder books is a dull forum.... unless you really care about a 4,456,737th posting about a) Go Ask Alice, b) kerowak (always misspelled) c) harry potter (yawn) d) latest book to movie fad

what's up with theripping without backing it up? we're readers here. we should be intellectual snobs ripping on an opinion.