Another mass shooting

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pressed_Rat, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Oh FFS,

the pool of native born is a far broader distribution than of that population compared to the distribution of "illegal immigrants"

One year or 10 years, divide by entire population or per 100,000 has nothing to do with it

Whether its crimes per whole population or per 100,000 of native born. That group of natives born is going to include everyone of all ages. born in the country....including a whole bunch of old farts in nursing homes

crimes per whole population or per 100,000 of illegal immigrants, the distribution is going to be a lot smaller, its only going to include those classed as illegal immigrants in 2015, only the ones that jumped the fence as it were, all there older relatives arent even included in that as they are back in Mexico or wherever

DO YOU UNDERSTAND?!

2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Just give me the raw data and I will show you

3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yeah, so 1 1/2 million illegal immigrants in Texas 2014.

Population of Texas about 27 million the same time

Profile of the Unauthorized Population - TX

With this breakdown of how long the illegal immigrants have been in the US

Years of U.S. Residence
    Less than 5 ....18%
    5 to 9 .......21%
    10 to 14 ......27%
    15 to 19 ......17%
    20 or more ..... 17%

A distribution of age lower than the general population

16 to 24 220,000 15%
    25 to 34 389,000 26%
    35 to 44 351,000 24%
    45 to 54 215,000 15%
    55 and over 162,000 11%

And yet you get 52 vs 41 sexual assaults per 100,000 Native born vs illegal immigrants in 2015

5.4 vs 3.7 homicides per 100,000

4. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I don't think immigrants commit more crime.

My understanding is that, once you control for poverty (accept that poverty is related?) immigrants are not responsible for more crime. It's actually less! :) Which is great news. In America, there is a tactic that is used to stoke fears. Immigrant populations balloon, and when that happens people are already freaking out. Politicians know this and they try to garner votes with it.

I have an excerpt about it from a textbook, but it's too long. You should take me on my word! They're not responsible for increases in crime.

That said, I do wonder what the relationships/correlations are between crime and poverty. There's a ton of info on that too, but I'm not going to look it up.

I think the biggest factor with immigrants is the language barrier. Then the cultural differences i.e. norms that they either will reject, or have to adapt to/begin to understand.

stormountainman likes this.
  5. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I really don't understand what VG is trying to say...something about the amount of time. I can't figure it out.
    I'm not a statistician but evidently VG believes he's a better one than all the numerous reports that have been issued about this subject.

6. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Perhaps the number of generations removed? I don't know, I haven't been following... I think my textbooks say that stress (for lack of a better term) associated with poverty can lead to criminal deviance. So, in that sense many immigrants may also be very poor. In statistics, I think they consider the poverty more correlative to the crime than the immigration status. I'm guessing though. There's a two pages essay about it... I'm not going to post it. :)

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I think he's trying to say the longer you stay in one country, the less your crime counts? And vice versa

Shrug

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

It would seem you in part do as you are back to argumentum ad hominem.

Yes, I am saying the Cato one linked by the Washington Post is pure fiction and they are fully aware of it. Intentionally misleading.

Yes, illegal immigrants in your country do commit the offense of sexual assault around 4 times higher than the general population.
    Whether you believe Trump said "their rapists" or "they're rapists" he is correct in either case

9. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

You stated:
    You are accusing the statisticians of willfully manipulating the facts...and then you give us what you believe is the correct way to interpret them.
    Ergo you believe you are a better statistician. How is my restating what you yourself are claiming an attack on your person?

Then you give us a conspiracy theory without addressing any other reports or fully explaining what you're talking about in the one you did address.

10. lode

lode Banned

11. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Why you gotta be like that

12. deleted

deleted Visitor

13. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Meh, selection bias, aggregate bias

No use wasting too much time with details, they will just be like, The Washington post cant possibly lie anyway. Or some pimply faced intern knows more than me mi mi mi mi mi

14. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Not unreasonable.

15. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Mass shooting have increased since Trump took office.

16. lode

lode Banned

You couldn't show your math for your multiplicant, and afterwards you started complaining about sample bias.

You don't statistics good.

17. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Well here is the link for the Cato one again if you are interested. There are no statiscal methods involved anyway

https://object.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/pubs/pdf/irpb-4-updated.pdf

They put the data into pretty graphs and draw a conclusion without any normalization or statistical treatment anyway.

Along with a disclaimer that the state counts seperate offences committed by the same person as as seperate data.

Makes that source useless anyway, i cant do anything with it, as I dont know how many perps there are, only how many offenses

18. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I won't copy/paste the whole thing because if I did that people would skip over it. This is an excerpt from an open letter written by the Jewish nurse that treated Robert Bowers, the Pittsburgh shooter. The whole letter can be found here:

https://www.************/ari.mahler [the stars are 'facebook', *sigh*]

"Love. That’s why I did it. Love as an action is more powerful than words, and love in the face of evil gives others hope. It demonstrates humanity. It reaffirms why we’re all here. The meaning of life is to give meaning to life, and love is the ultimate force that connects all living beings. I could care less what Robert Bowers thinks, but you, the person reading this, love is the only message I wish instill in you. If my actions mean anything, love means everything."

-Ari Mahler, RN

MeAgain likes this.
  19. deleted

deleted Visitor

Gab.com is back up..

20. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Conspiratorial fantasy.