Another fun climate change thread

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Jan 7, 2019.

1. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Michael Moore presents Planet of the Humans, a documentary that dares to say what no one else will this Earth Day — that we are losing the battle to stop climate change on planet earth because we are following leaders who have taken us down the wrong road — selling out the green movement to wealthy interests and corporate America. This film is the wake-up call to the reality we are afraid to face: that in the midst of a human-caused extinction event, the environmental movement’s answer is to push for techno-fixes and band-aids. It's too little, too late.

2. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

I am going to watch. See if they mention deforestation the REAL cause of the problems.

3. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

There is really only one way left to save the rain-forests.

Use the military.

Hey look a logging truck !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is the only way its ever going to stop.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  4. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Michel moore is a butthole.

5. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

[​IMG]

Probably one aircraft carrier could save the Amazon forest.

What the hell is stupid Brazil going to do about it ?

You can see all the illegal logging operations from the satellites.

We could stop most of it in a week.

6. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

A big part of the documentary is about the "bio-fuel" power plants that are actually just burning massive amounts of whole trees.

7. Beach Ball Lady Balls

Beach Ball Lady Balls Banned

In the 70s it was global cooling from atmospheric aerosols! What ever happened to that? It was a big concern! It just vanished, and moved on to the flip side to global warming, instead of addressing the earths drop in temperatures from global cooling.

8. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Biden made mention of a really important strategic change for the direction of government on green energy during the debate. He was criticizing President Trump for refusing to use subsidies given to oil companies - for drilling, etc. - to wind or solar companies.

SO! :) That's not a bad idea... He's totally onto something with that. You can shift the direction of our entire infrastructure, or start to, by doing just that - giving oil subsidies to wind and solar or geothermal and whatever other energy source (fill in the blank!). :)

MeAgain likes this.
  9. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The federal government has been subsidizing wind and solar big time for nearly three decades. Geothermal rebates and tax credits were offered in 1994 when I was considering it. Subsidizing oil is dumb, not needed. I'd stop all subsidies and let the market work it out.

No matter what we do, we need a good economy to fund it.

soulcompromise and scratcho like this.
  10. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

It was fascinating how environmental issues went out the window when Covid hit

To get the economy back on track, around the world governments are going to pump money into massive infrastructure projects, many not all that necessary, you know what that will do to the environment

soulcompromise likes this.
  11. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

A big byproduct is the more widespread realization of the necessity to treat any statement by any expert with skepticism.

12. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Well, that's how science works, isn't it.

13. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

I would have thought, but then someone claims the world will become uninhabitantable by X date and some people think it's real, and panic.

Imagine the wisdom of crafting government policy based on the position of one side of a complex multifaceted situation.

I've lost track of the number of times we're supposed to have already been doomed.

14. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Been asleep since the 70’s?

15. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

Four billion years from now, the increase in the Earth's surface temperature will cause a runaway greenhouse effect, heating the surface enough to melt it. By that point, all life on the Earth will be extinct.

^
    f9694757-2eee-42ba-8520-0e0be0a725ef_text.gif

hotwater likes this.
  16. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

the Further Adventures of Donny Quest............

[​IMG]

17. NubbinsUp

NubbinsUp Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The solar events of 4 - 5 billion years from now will be spectacular, but the Sun will have heated the Earth enough by 500 million years from now for all terrestrial carbon-based life forms to have disappeared completely and for all time.

18. NubbinsUp

NubbinsUp Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

i live in a temperate deciduous forest biome. The local climate has supported relatively the same variety of flora and fauna (including people) for the past 10,000 years, and likely it will for another 10,000 years. It'll still be a temperate deciduous forest biome with a temperate climate.

Accurate daily records of local temperature and precipitation go back only 150 years, but it is clear that the local climate has become slightly warmer and slightly wetter during my lifetime. For example, in addition to very slight increases in average temperature and precipitation, the number of top-20 warm and top-20 wet years during my lifetime exceeds the number of top-20 cold and top-20 dry years during that same period of several decades, but it isn't stark and glaring. We still have one significantly cold or dry year for every two that are significantly warm or wet years.

Wetter is more a problem than warmer for me, but the two are inextricably linked. The last time the Earth's overall surface temperature was as warm as it is now, sea levels were about 10 meters higher than they are now. Sea level return to that level seems inevitable. Although I live well above sea level and not anywhere near an ocean, flooding of rivers, creeks, and streams from increased precipitation will alter the total number and exact locations of population centers that my immediate area can support. Certainly, it will affect whether permanent, year-round dwellings can be located close to waterways and what kinds of dwellings they may be.

For the 60 percent of the world's human population that lives near a coast, the way of life where you live is probably largely doomed within a span of time no longer than I've already lived. Many people have already had to move inland and to higher ground. The problem isn't the magnitude of change, but rather the pace of it.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020