Another fun climate change thread

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Jan 7, 2019.

1. lion1978

lion1978 The King

Same thing goes for Denmark, plus they found out it's not as clean as it used to be.

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Med remnants?

3. lion1978

lion1978 The King

Nah more like remnants of fertilizer from agriculture

4. Asmodean

Ah yes, a threat here too. But the med remnants as well... Atm we have the best drinking water in the world (and we flush our toilets with it and hose our gardens lol), partly because its filtered well. But we need to make changes in order to keep it that way

5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

6 months from now they will cut open a beached whale and it's stomach will be full of disposed face masks and single use latex gloves

We have that to look forward to

onceburned and Driftrue like this.
  6. Gul Dukat

Gul Dukat Kanar, anyone?

Can we just assume you've already posted every possible downside to this thing already so that you can stop doing it now?

Sierra and Asmodean like this.
  7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

"Pedestrians have taken over city streets, people have almost entirely stopped flying, skies are blue (even in Los Angeles!) for the first time in decades, and global CO2 emissions are on-track to drop by … about 5.5 percent.

Wait, what? Even with the global economy at a near-standstill, the best analysis suggests that the world is still on track to release 95 percent of the carbon dioxide emitted in a typical year, continuing to heat up the planet and driving climate change even as we’re stuck at home.

A 5.5-percent drop in carbon dioxide emissions would still be the largest yearly change on record, beating out the financial crisis of 2008 and World War II. But it’s worth wondering: Where do all of those emissions come from? And if stopping most travel and transport isn’t enough to slow down climate change, what will be?"

The world is on lockdown. So where are all the carbon emissions coming from?

8. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

pretty sure the lockdown has dick to do with combating global warming so only someone obsessed with dick would draw a comparison between

Tl;dr carry on @Vanilla Gorilla . You do you bro

I'll just keep making vagina jokes in stoners echo chamber

9. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

What do you call a policewoman with a roughly shaven vagina?

A: **** stubble

;)

Driftrue and everything bagel like this.
  10. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

What do you call the skin a cock is attached to?

A man

Driftrue likes this.
  11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I've heard that one before, still makes me laugh though

12. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

Darn really? I thought I made that up :(

13. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

“I think people should bike instead of driving, and they should take the train instead of flying,” said Schmidt. “But those are small, compared to the really big structural things that haven’t changed.”

What are the big structural things?

Look at every man who says they prefer the non-make up picture to the make-up picture. All that make-up is in plastic containers.
    All the plastic clothes. All the manufacturing of dog toys and cat toys and other pet paraphernalia.
    All the useless stuff no-one needs or even knew they wanted until someone who wanted to make money told them they wanted it.

I'd like to see the effect of the halting of production of all that stuff.
    But I don't know if those are the big structural things.

14. Asmodean

All cheap crap and plastic toys combined, yes. To change the production of that all is a big structural change.
    Do you know the Action store chain? They are the embodiment of this structural problem: catering with cheap and often trivial crap to people with low income who think they're treating themselves or others by buying there

15. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I don't know Action, but I know the kind of thing you're describing.

16. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

[​IMG]

High plastic concentration found on ocean floor

"Scientists have identified the highest levels of microplastics ever recorded on the seafloor.

The contamination was found in sediments pulled from the bottom of the Mediterranean, near Italy.

The analysis, led by the University of Manchester, found up to 1.9 million plastic pieces per square metre.

These items likely included fibres from clothing and other synthetic textiles, and tiny fragments from larger objects that had broken down over time."

17. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

yeah i don't know what they are ever going to do about the microplastic now.

the only thing i see possible is something like.. didn't i hear about some tiny organism that feeds on plastic?
    Something like that, with a high probability of no bad side effects.

18. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

19. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Im always chewing on pen lids if that counts for anything. Also the little rubbery bit at the end up a pen? I always use my teeth to crack the end just to suck on the rubbery bit.