Another fun climate change thread

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

This is the kind of shit we really have to worry about:

SUBSCRIBE / REGISTER
    LOGIN
    How plastic-eating bacteria actually work – a chemist explains
    Scientists have discovered a new technique that could help create more environmentally friendly recycling

Click to follow
    The Independent
    [​IMG]
    But if more bacteria begin eating plastic in the wild then products and structures designed to last many years could come under threat ( Shutterstock )
    The plastic bottles we throw away today will be around for hundreds of years. It’s one of the key reasons why the mounting plastic pollution problem, which is having a deadly effect on marine life, is so serious.

But scientists recently discovered a strain of bacteria that can literally eat the plastic used to make bottles, and have now improved it to make it work faster. The effects are modest – it’s not a complete solution to plastic pollution – but it does show how bacteria could help create more environmentally friendly recycling.

UK to ban sale of plastic straws and drinks stirrers
    In 2016, scientists from Japan tested different bacteria from a bottle recycling plant and found that Ideonella sakaiensis 201-F6 could digest the plastic used to make single-use drinks bottles, polyethylene terephthalate (PET). It works by secreting an enzyme (a type of protein that can speed up chemical reactions) known as PETase. This splits certain chemical bonds (esters) in PET, leaving smaller molecules that the bacteria can absorb, using the carbon in them as a food source.

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Well to me pollution stems from an ideology of advancement and I believe we are already there now but it is man's desire to continue to advance and this creates pollution as things need to be used to progress like resources etc. I suppose if things were made to last then we wouldn't need to consume as many toxic resources ie. Like how TV's are really bad to create etc. If a TV could last 20 years then there'd be less demand and less pollution.

I believe we are in an era where we don't need to advance much anymore. I would slow down the advancement. Like sure, your science etc probably need to expand but nobody in the social community needs anything more than what we already have. IMO.

So, make things that last, less production. Probably less people too, the more we create in a population the more demand there are on things and those things use resources and create pollution. You can't win as the population grows.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Dont think all these concrete jungles are improving humanity. All these apartment blocks popping up in Sydney look ghastly. And Singapore its just downright depressing.

How about houses that grow themselves out of GM weed...or gingerbread. And very fast trains so its only a 30 min commute Bathhurst to Sydney and we can live in a treehouse at glens place, not stacked up 50 units on top of each other

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Also.

We need to deal with both. Not just this. You can do it (if you want)! :)

5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

And work on getting that train on even greener energy than now ;)

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

City expansion and concrete jungles will one day be recognised as a bad thing, basically water will have nowhere to go which will cause floods and we've seen this exact scenario in the ancient worlds like Aztec and Mayan cities expanded it caused droughts flash floods etc and it happens every year.

That goes along with my population control. The more people being born, the more estate and land needed to house them = more forming and demolition etc. More trees cut down, more concrete poured.

Its easily recognisable to me that we are expanding population and don't have the resources or room to do so and it'll catch up within time.

7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

By all means, share your plan on how thats achieved. 5000 hamsters per carriage?

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

All those free range chickens should have the leg muscle to move some carriages these days. :p

9. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I like this thinking.
    But then the economy wouldn't grow.
    I'm not clever enough to understand what would actually happen if everyone stopped buying things they didn't need for a year, but I'd be interested to know.

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Economy is just a made up thing for people in higher places to become more rich. The idea of economy in this day and age is simply only money related.

Money is pretend, money is fake. Money was invented around 6000 years ago to enslave people and distribute a lie and take away free thought and living. It is all 100% bullshit.

There is not one thing in the world that actually costs money to produce. It doesn't cost money to make anything. Money is an ideology created a very long time ago that has caused people living on earth to literally be their own driving source and source of energy and for what? Who? It's all nonsense.

It keeps us enslaved and indoctrinated, it keeps us benign and unmotivated, it keeps our heads down so we never understand the full potential of what we are which is a tree branch of knowledge, and we are fed lies by our government and science agendas so that we keep our heads down and make money. Money money money.

11. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I tend to dislike that so much of our well being and economic comfort is tied into consumerism.

Because humans will have to stop consuming so much one day. Our way of life isnt sustainable.

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

It's so clear to me now.

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

It took me a while, it took I lot of not understanding but I get it now. I get how money is a made up concept perpetuated onto society to keep their heads down, because we all need money to live, it takes away out freedom of thinking, it stops us from understanding ourselves because we are so driven and focussed, a world like a circuit board expanding day after day, a ribbon of energy, humans as bodies of information traversing the human circuit board of highways and power plants as towers, building, monuments. We drive this energy and aren't aware of it. We think we are just living.

We work for what? To pay off a house, a car, a family? And none of that cost anything to make, it came from natural resources or synthetic product. Who does America owe its trillions of debt to? Where does it go? It goes nowhere. It's a control device 100% every nation is in debt, but to who?

When you go home tonight or work in the morning, just take it in. Think about another reality as life on a circuit board. Just let it sink in, it's quite ingenious really. Many scriptures from ancient times have always said we hold the answers within ourselves, now regard us all as knowledge. We can understand the answers to so much if we can understand the answers about ourselves as information and knowledge and we are put together, billions of information and building blocks onto a world wide scale process and we energise it with nothing more than our will and determination to get up and earn money.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  15. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

It's also plausible monkeys will fly out my ass.

What you type is not "science".

Driftrue likes this.
  16. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Yeah I've been trying to tell people that for y e a r s
    And found most of them cannot envision a world as different from what it is now as it would need to become

17. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Methinks This Should Have Been Posted In "VG's"......What Is More Painfull Than "Buttsex" Thread.... :D

Cheers Glen.

18. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

This the essene of the problem. As a retired economist I would be the first to take issue with what’s included and what’s not included in “economic analysis”. Things such as clean air, natural areas and clean water are usually ignored but monetary goods and services are included inGDP.

And economists are notably absent in the distribution question. What has happened in the post Regan era in the US is really dangerous. At some point all of the Trumpites will wake up to the con and realize that the concentration of wealth in the hands of the few has been at their expense and then.....

soulcompromise likes this.
  19. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

You didnt say anything specific, and you didnt offer any solutions.

So what is an alternative to "the concentration of wealth in the hands of a few"?

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I wonder if seeding a volcano to blow would work, I always read about such and such blew up and sent the world into a mini ice age.