Another fun climate change thread

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

At this point in time, Im more interested why you just tried to negate everything in that video.

You mentioned the spread of gas lines in Pennsylvania.....what has been the expansion of urbanization/ humans in the same time frame?

And this:
    The attitude that science is always going to come up with the best solution and that anything that gets catergorized as clean energy can only be good

He was right about one thing, solar and wind are more dilute forms of power. So what use is "what we can develop in the future" if say an 50% increase in productivity or a 50% decrease in land size needed per farm, at some point in the future, is matched by a 100% increase in use, thus a 50% increase in land size needed.....because of the ever increasing number of humans

Over 5000+ little AA size batteries in an electric car, that have to be replaced every couple of years x 100s of millions of cars if they become popular. How the hell is that good for the environment?

"Clean" energy means a world covered in concrete, solar and wind farms. Landfill and water supplies a sea of used batteries and solar panels

2. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I guess you've never been to west Texas. There is so much nothing out there for hundreds and hundreds of miles that I reckon we could just about power the whole US with solar panels lined up out there. And I don't think anybody would miss west Texas, except probably a few really stubborn and really tough fuckers.

3. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

When I tought the unit on climate for my physical geography class I started the unit by saying the reputable climate scientists who didn’t believe humans were the cause of the spike in CO2 and temps could hold their annual convention in a sanican! Lol

4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I said he didn't convince me, not that he's wrong about everything. He had some interesting points.

People living in urban areas in Pa. has increased 5.6 percent between 2000 and 2010.

The big gas lines run to the Gulf coast, Midwest, and South Eastern U.S. not locally in Pa. There were about 80 new fracking wells a month being drilled in Pa. in 2018. These wells are deep and run horizontally, costing about 3 to 5 million to drill. Unknown contaminants (trade secrets) are pumped into these wells to do the fracking then removed and stored somewhere. They also require huge amounts of surface water causing stream and wildlife damage.

In 2009 the Dunkard Creek mine pollution resulted in the death of 160 species of fish and other wildlife right down the road from my home.
    What I'm saying is this guy gives us reports of dead eagles and turtles from solar and wind farms, but offers no comparison to the ecological devastation caused by nuclear, oil, coal, and gas.
    Chernobyl polluted 200,000 square kilometers of Europe in 1986. The present exclusion zone is 2,600 square kilometers. 600,000-800,000 people worked for two years to clean it up and put out the fires. 350,000 people have been relocated and over 7 million people were affected.
    In the Fukushima disaster radiation reached Russia and the Western U.S. 300,000 people were evacuated with 1,600 deaths reported related to the evacuation conditions. 160,000 people were relocated. Clean up will take 30 to 40 years.

I haven't even gotten into deaths, health issues, and ecological concerns with coal, oil spills, drilling rig explosions, gas explosions, etc.and this guy talks about 2 people dying at a windmill? Come on.

Yes, I believe in ephemeralization,

Asmodean, scratcho and Meliai like this.
  5. scratcho

Laughed my ass off at Fullers comment! That's a good one.

6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

7. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

It may sound stupid, but that whale's stomach contents illustrate some of the reasoning behind banning plastic bags in stores, or even the straw laws in restaurants that say you can only give them out now if someone asks for them.

Somewhat related, I went out tonight for my mom's birthday and one person asked for a straw, but they brought straws for every person. I will never understand why some people don't care enough about the environment to minimize the use of certain things. It truly baffles me.

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

No comparison? Did you watch the video?

Why did you try to minimalize it like that? - "gives us reports of dead eagles and turtles from solar and wind farms"

You have to clear the land of most flora and thus fauna to put up solar or wind farms

Kilowatt hour to kilowatt hour, if you tried to replace all the power generated in the world from fission, coal, oil and gas with "clean" energy......wouldnt be possible anyway, so its only ever going to be a theoretical argument. But if you tried, you'd have to cover the planet with solar panels

Chernobyl and Fukushima = bad ..........there are approx 500 nuclear power plants around the world

Video was just a lecture on "clean" aint so clean

As for the word "alternative", never had a hope in hell of solar or wind turbines replacing nuclear, gas, coal, oil

Its a non argument

9. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Yes, I watched the video. I saw no comparison of deaths or ecological damage between the different energy sources. He told us about turtles, eagles, and a few other things being affected by wind and solar, nothing about the damage from other energy sources.

I understand the need to clear land for solar and wind farms, that's why I included the stats for gas lines in Pa. If I did the math correctly 55,000 miles of pipeline in Pa times a 100 foot clearance would mean 2,904,000,000 sq. feet of cleared land. Not counting wells and access roads. And let's remember theses gas lines run across the country, I gave stats for just one state.

To say we can never replace nonrenewable energy with renewable energy is just to say man will never fly, man will never walk on the moon, etc.
    There are many nuclear plants around the world. The point is it only takes one accident to devastate large areas and affect many people, and we have had three major incidents. Three wind generator farms can fail with little to no effect other than a power outage.

I agree that clean energy isn't 100% clean, so what? It is much cleaner than nonrenewables, that's my point, and that's what this guy isn't telling us, or at least he never offered convincing evidence that renewables pollute more than nonrenewables.

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'm not supposed to be posting in this forum, but, it baffles me why people even need a straw to drink anything anyway.

soulcompromise likes this.
  11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I've noticed some restaurants around here have switched to biodegradable paper straws.

Which is better than plastic but still requires trees and energy to make

Some people need straws for medical reasons. Like in a hospital or nursing home. But otherwise, straws are pretty unneccessary

soulcompromise and granite45 like this.
  12. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I prefer to use a straw for high sugar drinks.
    I have a reusable metal one.

13. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

[​IMG]

14. Asmodean

Do you take it with you everywhere? Reminds me of medieval times when folks had a spoon in their hat :-D

15. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

It's in my pencil case in my bag, yeah.

16. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I'm not actually convinced it protects teeth all that much.. But it might do a bit.

I have zero fillings : D

Asmodean likes this.
  17. Asmodean

But how many teeth? :D

18. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I've never lost a tooth. I'm embarrassed to say I don't know how many teeth an adult human has.

19. Asmodean

I forgot the exact number also. But I'm also missing at least one (happily not in the front/very visible :p)

20. scratcho

Depends on which state you live in. 32 up north. South, between zero and 13.