Another fun climate change thread

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Jan 7, 2019.

1. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

This seems a decent article explaining what the adjustments accounted for. Not saying it will put the argument to rest.

No climate conspiracy: NOAA temperature adjustments bring data closer to pristine | Dana Nuccitelli

2. storch

storch banned

Probably not. Nothing in that article explains, or accounts for, how it is that data from one year to the next (1999 - 2000 cooled the 1930s, and warmed the 1980s and 1990s. The year 1998 went from being more than half a degree cooler than 1934, to warmer than 1934. That was not explained.

3. storch

storch banned

Obviously he fell for the same bullshit that most commoners did. Or, he was just plain lying! If it was the former, I'll bet he's pleasantly surprised . . . and relieved.

4. storch

storch banned

In 1971, the government’s two leading atmospheric experts knew that CO2 was not a threat to the climate.
    [​IMG]

https://vademecum.brandenberger.eu/pdf/klima/rasool_schneider_1971.pdf
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And even now, the EPA knows that White House claims about heat waves getting worse are false.

[​IMG]

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Makes sense....

Back in the 70s. :p

6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yes, and did you notice the source material in all those links you provided

First link refers to results from a spectrograph made by the Dutch and Finnish

2nd link - NASA Earth Observatory images by Jesse Allen based on data from Norman Loeb/CERES science team and the National Snow and Ice Data Center

3rd link, every image and table comes from the NSIDC

4th link isnt even related to this topic

5th link refers to the video made by a lone dutch PhD using data from.....you guessed it, the NSIDC

Thats is, NONE of the links you provided, are about work done by NASA, the organization you described as "
    NASA is a civilian oriented agency charged with space exploration, aeronautics research, climate study, study of the sun, astrophysics, and understanding the Earth.
    It is not just a rocket launch enterprise."

I mentioned 2012, for a reason, NASA basically outsourced all climate change research....why?

Why you started talking about photographic film, I dont know, I meant actual photos as in the visual spectrum, not composites from radar data, we are after all posting these images electronically ourselves

We will put these two videos next to each other, the first one made to be intentionally misleading, it is all over the internet, shows minimum sea ice extent each year, without clouring in the land ice, people look at that, it looks shocking, think all the ice is gone, its not even representing all the ice in the first place

Where as 2nd video, people see that, they think, so what, at the start of each year, at the height of winter, the whole area is covered in white again

As for your last point, yes the graph I supplied shows a loss in arctic sea ice, but barely, one standard deviation, whoop-ti-doo

as with this photo, people see it....the truth...weve lost past this purple line....errr so what, doesnt look that much

[​IMG]

So back to NASA, whats the real reason they abandoned doing all this stuff themselves

7. storch

storch banned

You didn't notice the years that that graph covered?

8. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

You said:
    You never said that it had to be NASA research that was mentioned on the site, you said any mention. Everyone of the links I provided mentions the Arctic.

I don't know why you think NASA doesn't do climate research, just because they reference other researchers doesn't mean they don't do their own research. They have programs in:
    As to why I brought up photographs. I brought them up because you did. You asked for photographs of the Arctic region. Images were provided and then you pointed out that they looked different. You didn't take into account how the images were attained or processed.
    I am telling you that in all likely hood you won't get current photographs of the Arctic region from space as film isn't used anymore to take those images. So what? You said that two images from approximately the same time period don't look the same. I told you that could be because if they were using film, different film types will record a scene differently. Even going so far as to record things outside of our visible range in one instance and not outside the visible range in an other.

Further, as current images are digital, the data can be manipulated to make the resulting images look differently. Two or more different looking images can be produced from the same data. In addition, as with film, data can be attained that is outside of the normal range of human vision. So I can make a digital image using visible light and it will look one way. I can record the same area with say, microwaves, and it will look differently from the first image.

As to your insistence that all images be produced from the visible light spectrum...why? You do realize that images are produced all the time from the non visible spectrum as they can provide data not possible to attain from visible light. One common example is when a pregnant women gets a sonogram image of her baby.

Asmodean likes this.
  9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I didn't get that far, I saw an opportunity to make a funny and I ran with it. :p

Rahab likes this.
  10. That’s the best way because really it’s all just babbling

Irminsul likes this.
  11. I mean who cares right? LOL

Irminsul likes this.
  12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Babble wabble

13. On and on and on and on and on. Etc...

14. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

If you have nothing to say.... you could just say nothing.

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Reducing global warming

Need to reduce some of the hot air people blow out Their mouths ;)

16. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

So I tell you NASA outsourced most of it stuff in 2012, without bothering to investigate what Im hinting at, you provide another set of links to outsourced research; The Climate and Radiation Lab, 103 personnel, only 12 actually employed by NASA, some from other universities, but most employed by the private sector. Nothing says commitment to pure research like 12 employees

Here you are just being condescending on purpose.

Look, its as simple as why did that video have to be manipulated so obviously by NASA.

Its as simple as why is the NSIDC where it is. The premier facilty in the world seemingly for monitoring the poles is in the enviromental sciences faculty in a university no ones really heard of in Boulder Colorado. Why? Why pretty much no where else?

17. MeAgain

I don't think you understand how NASA works. They routinely outsource to private companies, contractors, or schools.
    The Jet Propulsion Lab, NASA's primary planetary spacecraft center, is owned by NASA but run by the California Institute of Technology, and has been since 1958 the year NASA was created.
    Here's a list of the top 100 contractors at NASA facilities, not counting off site contractors.

The Grace Mission (Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment), is operated in conjunction with Germany's Deutsches Zentrum für Luftund Raumfahrt and others such as the private company Space Systems Loral, the University of Texas Center for Space Research, Astrium, and the German Space Operations Center.

The individual who I know at Goddard who sets up satellites is a private contractor, i.e. outsourced.
    I'm not trying to be condescending. I merely pointed out the fact that imagining is a complicated matter.
    All the images are manipulated, that's how the raw data is turned into images. They may manipulated them one way to reveal certain facts and another to review other facts.

18. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Every other time, I'd be the last to recommend a TED talk, but....

19. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

TIME TO BRING THE FUN BACK TO CLIMATE CHANGE

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. MeAgain

Interesting video, but he hasn't convinced me that we need to go total nuclear. Or that natural gas and coal are more environmentally friendly then solar and wind.

Having played in coal mine shafts and strip mines and having lived through Three Mile Island and having seen what fracking and gas transmission lines do, I'm a bit skeptical.
    Right now my father has 5 major 42 inch gas lines about 100 yards from his home, and another on the way. Pennsylvania has at least 44,000 miles of gas lines that run only to private homes. Nobody really knows as there are no official records. When I lived in Southern Pa we reported a gas leak bubbling up out of a stream and of the three gas companies that showed up, none of them knew of the line or who owned it as there were no maps showing that line. Frackers were dumping waste into abandoned coal mines and streams and removing entire mountain tops.
    In addition Pa has 55,000 miles of interstate lines. Pa will get an additional 10,000 to 23,000 miles of lines to handle the transportation of Marcellus field gas. That's not counting feeder lines. Transmission lines require a perpetual clear cut 70 to 130 feet wide. Theses lines carry 200 to 1500 psi and require pumping stations every 40 to 100 miles.
    [​IMG]

His comments about wind or solar farms hurting wildlife seem to be simple to address...move the farms to another local. They don't need a river. Some areas may have less wind or sunshine...but it is everywhere.
    Additionally he is talking about current green technology, not what we can develop in the future. The sun will always shine, the wind will always blow.

Nuclear waste from power reactors amounted to 250,000 tons in 2010 not counting leakage. A 1000 mega watt nuclear power plant produces about 27 tons a year. Cesium 137 and strontium 90 have half lives of 30 years. Plutonium has a half life as long as 24,000 years.