Another fun climate change thread

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Data from he Global Carbon Project 2017 raw figures, 2018 projections

In he following diagrams Gt stands for billion metric tonnes

Net world C02 emissions have been increasing at a similar rate the last 8 years

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DrRainbow likes this.
  2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

China emitting almost twice the CO2 of the US, almost three times the Eu

[​IMG]

DrRainbow likes this.
  3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Guilt per capita

UAE, Saudia Arabia, Australia are the three worst offenders per capita, in that order\

[​IMG]

DrRainbow likes this.
  4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Most still coming from coal

[​IMG]

DrRainbow likes this.
  5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

In short, every thing you have tried to do to cut emissions in he EU or US has been offset by growth in India and China.....who now just make most of the crap you buy that used to be manufactured in Detroit or Poland

7. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Because the whole world wants to live a 1st world lifestyle, and governments are encouraging this. Corporations want it. And so we're screwed.

pineapple08, DrRainbow and scratcho like this.
  8. Openmind693

Openmind693 Members

Yea, anyone who fighting to slow down global warming is becoming like the hippies in the 60's.

DrRainbow likes this.
  9. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

So what should we (the individual) and we (a society) do about it?

DrRainbow and Running Horse like this.
  10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Don't have kids for starters.
    More population the more demand for things, the more demand for things the more pollution and waste. Pretty simple really. IMO.

DrRainbow, goatoncliff and WrongVerb like this.
  11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

This made me laugh

DrRainbow, Slunted and Asmodean like this.
  12. KL71

KL71 Yanks since '81/Fins since '83 :)

@YouFreeMe Still no snow here in central Connecticut...unlike the picture I posted from 8 years ago. A year ago today? I had zero degrees F (-18 C) at 9:50 AM Eastern. Sydney, Australia was about 117 F (47 C).

Again...January 7, 2011:
    164138_10150162145677796_647440_n.jpg

DrRainbow likes this.
  13. deleted

deleted Visitor

nothing on a climate model has changed, other than the way you think about it..

[​IMG]

14. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

My feeling is that it is way too late to do anything about it. Species will either adapt or go extinct.

scratcho and DrRainbow like this.
  15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I hate to say this but you're probably right. Maybe if the entire world came together and made a drastic change to the way we all live, but that simply isnt going to happen. VG does have a point about China and India and other developing nations.

(I dont think thats an excuse not to try though)

I just wish we could at least do something about our plastic problem so when humans kill themselves off the other species dont have to deal with our trash

16. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

While this all looks very convincing. How are these figures produced. I can only assume that they are calculated from the countries consumption of fossil fuels.
    The question regarding China is, If we were producing all the goods at home that we now import, would we be achieving this without producing the same quantity of carbon dioxide.?
    Another interesting point is oxygen levels. Nature seems to somehow maintain these constantly in all except the most extreme conditions. Their is a theory that this balance is maintained by the fact that oxygen supports combustion and oxygen rich air has different dielectric strengths. The hypothesis is that this causes lightening, leading to wild fires, that consume oxygen to restore balance.
    I wonder what we would see, if all the carbon dioxide produced in the recent US wild fires was entered into the figures.

These figures no doubt cost millions of pounds to produce, but are they painting a complete picture. I personally don't thing that some of the information is not worth the paper that it is written on.

DrRainbow likes this.
  17. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

When I took a class in Environmental Policy, the theory was that if America leads the world will follow. Such that if we implement stringent environmental policies other nations will try to keep up. So you'd see at least some nations make an effort to match our effort. I'll find an excerpt...

EDIT: found one..

DrRainbow likes this.
  18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Our sun is billions of years old and as sun's die, they slowly expand. This expansions obviously has an effect on the planets around it, as they become hotter as the sun reaches toward them.

We are closer to the sun at this very second right now, as you read this, than we ever have been.

Change my mind.

DrRainbow, Holly1272 and onceburned like this.
  19. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

As long as its species in the higher end of the foodchain like the white rhino, polar bear, panda or tiger its just sad but bearable (for most humans). But if its species like certain insects it might not be disastrous for just some animal species but also ourselves. Maybe we will not go extinct as a species but ruin any chance on a good life by current and past standards. I don't think we are at that point that we can't do anything about that, except of course if too many people keep believing it is and act carelessly upon it.

20. KerrBear

KerrBear Members

How much closer do you think we've gotten in a relative sense in the past 50 years? The changes you're talking about, with respect to a star billions of years old, have absolutely no effect on a 50 year stretch of time. That's literally 0 in cosmic time

DrRainbow and granite45 like this.