another depression?

Discussion in 'The Future' started by WWKCD729, May 18, 2007.

1. WWKCD729

WWKCD729 Member

ok so no one reads my shit in random thoughts anymore, so im posting this here. seeing as the war is increasing, gas is going up, prices for eerything are going up, but the demand to buy is going down...this isnt a cycle, becasue its really bad now, so its not just a little recession...does anyone think it could be another great depression?

2. Alaskan

Alaskan Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

A recession, oh yes. A depression a good chance. Another "Great Depression", don't think so.
    After the crash of 29, there are many safety factors build into the system protecting the stock market and the banking industry.
    At this moment the U.S. dollar is about as low as its been in years. Illegal aliens are draining our school and social programs without paying into the tax base.
    And how much are these fucking wars costing us, the funding committee met behind closed doors this week. Haven't heard what the dollar amount was, have you ?
    Fuel prices, heating oil. Guess we'll stay at home and freeze.
    1 year, 6mos and so many days until Geo W. goes back to the ranch, god only knows
    what shape we're going to be in when him and henchmen leave Washington.......

3. WWKCD729

WWKCD729 Member

yeah honestly, how much they have spent on the war? like close to 450 mil, i so i heard..who knows how much they really spent, i dont think there will be another great depression either, but a depression is looking reallll possible right now in the near future. i just wonder how we will take this blow knowing that terrorists and what not are out to get us, because i would think they would kick us when we are down, it would be the perfect time to just come in and kick Americas ass and then shit on us when, they are done

4. Alaskan

Alaskan Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

You're a little lite on the price....As of March 31, 2007 it has cost the U.S.
    $378,000,000,000.00, Thats 378 Billion. Thats just for Iraq, doesn't add in the cost Afghanistan.
    Heres a question for you, if foreign military forces came into our country and we, as civilians fought back. Would we be "freedom fighters" or "terrorists" ?

5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

well you see is, all those safety factors, are just exactly what raygun started throwing out with the bathwater as have both of the bushes.

so yes another great depression IS a real possibility. among a lot of other things. that could also happen along about the same time.

there are certain pipers so to speak, to pay.

there is no bigger obstical to world peace, civil rights, personal freedoms, or the avoidance of collective environmental suicide, the whole bloody buggering works, then the inanely backward headed notion that refusing to kiss the ass of little green pieces of paper has to have anything to do with either lazyness or marxism, or some combination of the two.

america will never become the so called free country it has always wanted to pretend to be until it stops that policy, which it seems to have had in place, most, if not all of my life, of demonizing everything that doesn't kiss the ass of little green pieces of paper, and starts instead, remembering how to do something besides destroy.

and of course we could, really could, if we really wanted to enough to disipline ourselves in the actualy neccessary manor, avoid all the tears and fears and screaming bloody horrors we currently seem determined to inflict on everyone, little realizing nor caring that we are in no way sparing ourselves from facing them by doing so.

neither tecnology, nor reasonable comfortable and gratifying lives for everyone, is going to grind to a screatching halt, without automobiles, oil, coal, or nuclear. nor are the real alternatives to them, any sort of pie in the sky utopian fantasies, but proven, reliable and even by now, to anyone with the slightest interest in tangable reality, reasonably familiar.

it remains to be seen what form the next few decades are going to take. but the major outlines of the big choices we collectively face, it would seem to me, are pretty darn obvious and clear.

the main thing that isn't, is a matter of how neccessary transitions are going to take place.

we can't keep screwing up the world we all have to live in,
    and reasonably expect not to screw ourselves,
    collectively and individualy both,
    by doing so.

=^^=
    .../\...

6. lifelovefun

lifelovefun Member

I think it's gonna be more of a worldwide depression thing that's going to help usher in a new way of doing things. You could say a "new world order", but I don't like quoting the bible lol

7. PeaceBySarah

PeaceBySarah Member

The new great depression will make the old one look like a hiccup. The U.S. is run by the rich elite, so they don't worry about the countries money, they play with it as if it was a monopoly game and when this Great American Empire falls they will pick up and flee the country, leaving us to fend for ourselves. For those who still believe my words are false, ignorance is bliss, who knows when this will happen.

8. CSP101

CSP101 Member

I could definatly see a worldwide depression coming inflation is on the rise across the globe and salaries just arent keeping up anymore. I know nothing about economics though, so my opinion doesn't mean anything

9. trekker

trekker Intrepid Traveler

I see more waste in the future from developing countries who are trying to control the way the USA conducts it's economic developement. America is a leader in enviornmentaly friendly technology and aid in the world, and this may cripple the USA's developement economically. We need to produce more goods and not rely on China to supply us with everything from kitchen wisks to childrens toys.

10. lifelovefun

lifelovefun Member

Another depression isn't coming, it's already here. Just look around.

1. There's an actual dictator that controls the country

2. Corporations get away with the legal raping of the public via Gas, Food, Electricity, etc...

3. The US Dollar is getting more worthless as everyday passes

So we're already fucked :) Most people just don't know it yet.

11. mynameisjake07

mynameisjake07 Banned

^ Glad somebody has woken up just like me. I wonder what I'm suppost to do for work after I get out of college, think I can find a good ol' 60k a year salary job lol.

12. HomicidalMercury

HomicidalMercury Member

no i dont want to be depressed again..

13. rebelfight420

rebelfight420 Banned

14. themnax

themnax Senior Member

fuckedness is not a perminent condition. it may come and go periodicly, but it's still not a perminent one. the first two points are not directly relivant to the concept of an economic melt down, though they are of course, even more pertinent to our experiencing of existing then the economic thing itself.

whether better times come after a GLOBAL economic melt down, or one is actualy avoided, better times will somehow come. with or without worse ones before then.

which can, but don't have to, happen to.

i believe there will be a day when the rivers run clean and people will be fewer. what happens between here and there, is "always in motion" and in no way "cast in concrete".

a lot of what we take for granted will almost certainly be gone, but that almost goes without saying as such things are always chainging anyway.

=^^=
    .../\...

15. lifelovefun

lifelovefun Member

Actually the first 2 points are directly related to economic depressions.

1. Dictators repress the free market, actually they repress everything free

2. Corporations force people to pay higher prices and leave almost no room for free market competition, which is what Capitalism is based on. Even though I don't agree with the ideals of capitalism, corporations are a direct result of why it fails.

16. Sign Related

Sign Related The Don Killuminati

We need to get rid of capitalism. Then there wont be a depression ever again.

17. lifelovefun

lifelovefun Member

I totally agree :) I've always believed that everything should literally be free, that way no one's wasting their life away working 40 hours a week and we can all make love and truly enjoy this life :)

18. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Big tax increases will trigger a depression.

Right now employment is OK, Stocks: OK, interest rates: fair. Housing: getting by. Oil prices: bearable.

Tax increases are scheduled for 08, it could kill jobs.

Just look at diferent economic conditions in places like. Detroit, or Salt Lake City. or in New York. policy makes for economy.

and YES this war needs to end.

19. lifelovefun

lifelovefun Member

Hey Piney - The things you mentioned may "seem" OK by the governments "standards" but their standards change on a daily basis to suit the propaganda. I think you brought up a lot of good areas to discuss and that's awesome :) I'll go thru them quickly 1 by 1 and add in a little info that the governments aren't reporting

1. Employment - People are having to work 2 or more jobs just to pay bills, and with gas going higher everyday, their bank accounts are quickly sliding down to danger levels. Although the government claims that it's making more jobs, having a single mother work at Sears in the morning and McDonalds at night just isn't right.

2. Stocks - This is a big area that's kept up by agencies to ensure the economy doesn't collapse since right now it's on the verge of doing so. The dollar has been quickly declining over the past year and with many countries selling their interests in it, it's about to get a lot worse. Especially since some countries are starting to try to collect on all the debt the US owes them. When this happens on a worldwide scale - than get ready for a meltdown.

3. Housing - You've probably heard about it on TV by now, but the housing market is sliding down the shitter like the dollar itself. Banks are starting to collect on loans that the homeowners can't pay and many people are filing for bankrupcy and are being forced to be homeless. I know that this aspect isn't widely reported, but even the drudgereport had 2 stories on it a few months ago. Listing something in the range of 2 MILLION people being forced out of their homes.

4. Oil Prices - LOL :) I love your word for these "bearable", because they're just at that range where I can afford to buy gas, but don't fully feel the need to shoot myself after seeing how much I spent on a weeks worth of fuel. When you look at how much it actually costs to manufacture and distribute, you would shit yourself because of the extreme profits that the gas companies like Exxon Mobile are making. Remember last year? They made over $10,000,000,000 that's BILLION in less than 3 MONTHS!!! You don't make that much profit selling something for a good price.

I totally agree with you that the tax increases slated for 08 are going to fuck up a lot of things. Because of the coming hikes, I imagine that the miniumum wage will be increased, but that's not going to help many people. Especially since these new taxes are most likely going to ONCE AGAIN fuck with the middle and lower income people. I'd like to see government for once tax some really rich people instead of putting the burden on those single mothers and broken family's who work too much to even spend quality time with their kids.

You brought up a lot of good areas of interest :) Tell me what you think of the above and we can discuss if further.

20. Four Winds

Four Winds Member

We are in a depression as we speak.

The current socio-economic status is the worst it has ever been since the Great Depression. I read a book by Thom Hartman that discussed this issue at length, there were some shocking similarities between modern day and the great depression.