Ann Mccaffrey - dragonrider books

Discussion in 'Fantasy Books' started by hummblebee, Sep 28, 2007.

1. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

Anyone else into these? I've been loving them! Reading for the first time in the order they were written (instead of chronological) has been very enjoyable. Right now I'm well into Dragonsdawn... which I think is book 9... but I might be mistaken, I lose track! :)

I love how well developed her world is, and the way it bridges the gap between fantasy and sci-fi. There's no "magic" in Pern, it's an Agarian society that has evolved from a highly technological society - in fact future humans from Earth who left to build a Utopia without so much technology.

I highly recommend them, to anyone who's looking for a new good series. :) Anyone else like the series?

2. bluflame

bluflame Member

never heard of that series but it sounds cool, i personally liked eragon by palioni, it jsut bothered me how so much reminded me of the lotr.

but anywho, i'll keep those books in mind for when i finish dragula

3. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

Definitely check them out! :) I'm surprised there hasn't been more response from series fans!

The other reason I really like them, that I forgot to mention... while they do definitely follow one another, each book building on things learned in previous volumes, etc. and it is a long series - 18 books so far (the last few written by Ann's son Todd Mccaffrey), it isn't one long string of edge-of-your-seat endings like so many fantasy series' are. It is set out in clear grouping, trilogies, couples of books telling the same story from different perspectives, etc. So it's easy to read 2-3 books and have that feeling of an epic story completed, go on to something else and come back to an entirely different view or story of the same universe later. :) Very enjoyable indeed. :)

4. olwyn

olwyn Member

i like the pern books, too... my favorites are the dragonsinger ones (trilogy); very cool! kind of like "island of blue dolphins" (remember that book? :) )

5. Valdis

Valdis Member

I enjoyed these books and her Crystal Singer series.

6. lostboundaries

lostboundaries Member

yeah i like the series i found out about them after read the white dragon it was really good then i realized there were more been a fan ever since

7. ladydragon282

ladydragon282 Member

Wow, I love this series as well. I have read most of them, but the last few that Todd has written I haven't be able to get to yet. I hear they are worthy though, and am looking forward to getting them as well.

8. indigolightning

indigolightning Member

I've read them all, and have most. I always wanted one of those dragons. Can you imagine it? How incredibly cool to have someone linked so tightly to you, and have that same someone be able to fly you everywhere?