Animals eat meat.

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by MadScientist, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadScientist

MadScientist Member

Am I the only one on these forums that finds it extremley ironic that vegetarians refuse to eat animals, yet animals eat other animals. How can you think of yourself as so high and mighty for not eating animals (even though you are indirectly killing them from other foods you eat), when they are running around eating each other and not thinking anything of it. Sorry guys, death and slaughter sucks, but it is a part of nature, one must die for another to survive.

*Side note- In no way am I trying to condem the veggie lifestyle (i think it is a bold choice), I am just trying to get some logical conversation going on this forum. I am sick of hearing the same old retoric while yall refuse to look at this from different perspectives.

2. horncow

horncow Member

The thing is, animals don't have a choice about what they eat, while use as humans can pick what types of foods we eat, so we can make that decision.

3. MadScientist

MadScientist Member

Correct, but how do you know animals don't have a choice in what they eat. I have witnessed animals be picky eaters. How do you know we have choice in what we eat. For me, I sometimes can't help but to eat meat. Sometimes it is the only thing that gives me the proper energy for workouts and hikes and what not. I personally think that not eating meat is going against your nature. I was a veggie for a year and I still craved meat all the time and did not feel that I was getting proper nurtrients without it. I am not saying one must eat meat all the time, but once in a while I think it is neccassary and healthy.

4. MadScientist

MadScientist Member

But do you still not find it ironic that vegetarians are running around trying not to eat animals who are in turn eating other animals themselves. I just find it funny, not to mention there are a lot of animals in the wild who won't think twice about killing you and eating you.

5. horncow

horncow Member

The beauty of it is everyone has their own nature.

6. MadScientist

MadScientist Member

Can't argue with that.

7. allisonmoonflower

allisonmoonflower Member

cows dont eat other animals and we eat them is that right?

8. MadScientist

MadScientist Member

Did I ever say that all animals eat meat. I don't think so. Is it right that you have half of a brain?

9. Hikaru Zero

Hikaru Zero Sylvan Paladin

I am a vegan. That means, NO animals -- and I mean ABSOLUTELY NONE -- are harmed due to my eating choices. That is how I might be able to consider myself "high and mighty" compared to animals, if that were my nature. =)

Most vegetarians seem to be vegetarian for health reasons or something else; I can't imagine why any person (/fool?) would be vegetarian and believe that they aren't hurting animals anymore. That title belongs to the vegans here, and if they want it, they have to go vegan too. ;)

Thus, your argument is essentially nullified; correct me if I am wrong. =) I love a warm discussion, haha.

10. MadScientist

MadScientist Member

Okay, well I don't know what your diet is......but I am sure that you eat rice, wheat, corn, wear cotton right? Well animals are caught and killed in the machines that harvest these crops, so you are indirectly killing animals. Even worse the animals that are killed this way are left to waste and not used as food (excpet for vultures and shit I guess). If you only eat fruit or grow your own food, well them I am wrong, but this still does not make morally superior.

11. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

yes, some animals eat meat. They also do things like pick and eat each others lice, throw faeces at each other, give birth in the dirt (occasionally devouring their young) etc... humans don't do the last few things...we have perhaps evolved past this.

personally I also think humans have evolved a higher capacity for moral reasoning than animals. This includes compassion, perhaps a desire to limit the amount of harm that we inflict on more helpless creatures. As such I think vegism is a natural progression of these morals.

I guess I don't really get the point of what you are trying to say - animals eat meat, yeah, big whoop. Animals are not known for their superior moral reasoning. Humans, well, some humans, are able to reason morally, we don't need meat to survive, so why would we eat it just because they do?

12. MadScientist

MadScientist Member

So you are saying that being a vegetarian is more moral than than not, that is saying alot, I am glad you can make a statement for all of humankind. Read my other threads, YOU are indirectly killing animals, how moral is that?

13. horncow

horncow Member

Everyones morals are different. I don't understand why this is such a fuss.

14. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

i already have, jackass. It's the same tired bleating that I've heard many times before, from people who no doubt thought they were just as original as you seem to find yourself.

And yes, I think the minimising harm rule is one of the more universalisable rules to follow in ethics. It follows from that then that a diet which minimises the amount of needless death/harm is more moral than a diet which turns a blind eye to suffering.

15. Elle

Elle Senior Member

Just living in this world is going to displace/kill animals. It obviously can't be avoided completely. But I -as well as other veggies/vegans- am doing as much as I can to boycott and end the suffering of animals and who can ask for more than that? And I find that to be very moral and caring. If I see an animal in the road I will swerve and do anything in my power not to hit it - but I have accidently run over a few animals in the night, thus killing them"indirectly" but I don't consider myself any less ethical because of that.

16. MadScientist

MadScientist Member

See what yall are missing is that I am not against being a vegetarian. I am for it and I think it is a great thing that does a lot of good. You think me and other people who meat want animals to suffer and die, no, but meat is healthy for active people. Second, yall still miss what I am saying, why is it any different that I eat an animal that dies, while yall eat wheat, which when being harvested kills millions of animals. Is it because I eat a few extra animals which have to die. What yall need to realize is that yalls diet is responsible for many deaths, when you move into a city that is a place where thousands of animals were displaced and killed. Get over yourselves, you are not morally superior.

I do not think I am original. However I would like to get a better response out of yall then, "I don't eat animals, therefore I don't cause their suffering"...Bullshit.

17. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

I am no longer vegan or vegetarian. I was at one time.
    Why post this in this forum......it is a flame and you are trolling...

Conversation, not likely. :(

18. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

people are not saying "I don't eat animals, therefore I don't cause their suffering"

people are saying
    'I don't eat animals, as I am trying to minimise their suffering"

or "I don't eat meat, as I am trying to minimise my support of an industry that is responsible for animals' suffering"

19. MadScientist

MadScientist Member

Well you are still causing their suffering.

20. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

yes, but at least I am trying to minimise that amount of suffering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.