Angry Omnis....

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by shutterfly, May 10, 2004.

1. BoozeJockey

BoozeJockey Member

...like i said, take a college anthro class you uneducated fool. I post fact and a veggie poked an unqualified joke at it, isn't that weird?

2. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

But it's not. It's veggies stating their moral reasons for being veggie. Honestly, what the hell do you expect in a veggie forum?!?

But many meat-eaters do becpme vegetarian, or their wouldn't be any vegetarians, would there? So it's hardly that ridiculous, is it?

Well with so little concern for the feelings of veggies, why the fuck should we care about how you feel?

Count the legs, dude. But seriously.... do plants experinence pain in the same way as animals? Do they form family bonds?

My heart bleeds. When was the last time someone put a captive bolt pistol to your head and blew your fucking brains all over the wall?

And again.... and this is really simple..... if you find veggies explaining the moral reasoning behind their lifestyle to be offensive, then be somewhere else.

3. BoozeJockey

BoozeJockey Member

Also show me where i said eating meat changes the structure of your DNA. I said the act of hunting and tool making(among other things) is what caused humans to develop high intelligence, i didn't say eating meat magically causes your DNA to change.

Please don't make me go over natural selection and evolution with you. If you need to learn it, go to your local job center and ask for an 8th grade biology book...

4. rain_in_summer

rain_in_summer Member

I don't think omnis should come here and expect us to agree with them.
    What I mean is: They can expect us to tell them why we don't instead of yelling "Troll!!" all the time. Why do we have to react so unkindly every time?
    Wouldn't it make veg*ns look a lot better if we kindly explained why and how? Wouldn't it prevent the omnis from thinking we just don't have any arguments?
    To be true, I often feel fed up with repeating the same all over and over again (not only on on the veggie issue but also on barefooting) too. But I feel even more fed up with constantly being annoyed by people who react so damn unkind and arrogant!

By the way, the original issue was not only on this forum but on people in general. So the argument "If they don't want a discussion they should come here" doesn't really work. (And again: I have nothing against discussions. But I have something against rude "killing" of everything that could become one.)

Love,
    Rain

5. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

I agree. But they can't then start to whine about being offended when we explain the reasoning behind our moral argument.

6. BoozeJockey

BoozeJockey Member

Good points rain. The person that quoted me and put responses, well, i don't want to waste the time counter-quoting. You had some good points, yes, but i think you were far from proving me wrong. I think you saying eating plants is ok cuz they don't have any legs is sorta..silly. Snakes don't have any legs, so you can eat them? Family bonds? I'm not a chicken expert, but i don't think they form family bonds. Some animals do, yes, i know, but i don't think chickens do, and i don't think cows do either. Also, farmers kill animals in as pain free as possible ways. And like i said, i came here to learn more about the vegetarian lifestyle, and then this thread is all about bashing omnis. I think you telling curious people to BE SOMEWHERE ELSE is a good way to keep more people from becoming vegetarian...

Also, about the salad thing, i just thought it was funny cuz she didn't make the choice to eat it so i don't see what the big deal is.

7. BoozeJockey

BoozeJockey Member

...Yeah, then i explain my reasoning and get flamed and that's ok cuz i'm an omni, lol

8. Yokai-Tororu

Yokai-Tororu Guest

I don't understand how my ancient ancestors making tools made them more intelligent. Did you make tools in school and that made you intelligent? I think maybe some scientists made some stuff up to explain something they did not know about. I call them theories. I think that people became intelligent and that helped them make tools. Can you tell me how they made tools without being intelligent, and the tools made them intelligent enought to make tools?

I'm sure that grammatically 'Humans evolved and developed such high intelligence because of hunting and toolmaking' is the same a saying 'humans evolved because of hunting and toolmaking'. I thought evolution (when talking about darwin's theories) included the change of a life forms DNA. But you are a smart schoolboy so you can correct me.

Also why is it that hunters don't seem very smart? Did they stop their evolving? I think they should be smarter if what you said is true.

9. Yokai-Tororu

Yokai-Tororu Guest

You kow, I agree with you about the be somewhere else thing. That guy was always trying to scare people away from the vegetarian threads in the old forum too. I think that's not very nice.

10. BoozeJockey

BoozeJockey Member

*sigh* because hunting and toolmaking gave them an advantage to survive. The ones who could use their intelligence to make better more helpful tools were more likely to survive, therefore their more intelligent genes got passed on. Evolution is a 2 step process: 1: Genetic mutation(makes a change in the species). 2: Natural Selection(if the change is beneficial it gets passed on). So in this case, a mutation occurred giving some individuals more reasoning and intelligence to be able to make tools that aided hunting, this proved beneficial so it got passed on. So intelligent individuals got to pass on their genes. If the species didn't hunt, these intelligent genes wouldn't have been beneficial and wouldn't have been passed on. Eating meat didn't make them more intelligent, but being a hunting species did cause specific genes to be beneficial and passed on. You are right, being intelligent helped them make tools. But if they didn't hunt these tools wouldn't have been helpful.

I, however, am not an anthropology major. I am just reiterating what i learned in college, it could be wrong. But it is an accepted theory so i think it has some relevance and gives some weight to the argument.

11. BoozeJockey

BoozeJockey Member

Also, i am sorry for getting a little upset and calling you an "uneducated fool." I just didn't like it when you said something i didn't even say was stupid and it proved that omnivores were stupid. I should have just said that if you wanted to know what i meant by what i said i could explain it to you, which i did to the best of my ability in my last post.

12. BoozeJockey

BoozeJockey Member

Another thing, lol sorry. You might say "yeah, but they could have used tools to help harvest vegetables and then that would have been beneficial and those genes would have been passed on." And that is feasible, but anthropologists can tell by the type of tools found what they were used for. And most of them were used for hunting(i don't remember any being mentioned for harvesting plants). Some were used for making fires(to keep warm and cook meat). So in our specific past, hunting is what caused the genes to benefical and passed on, though it is feasible that the same could have happened in a plant eating scenario.

13. BoozeJockey

BoozeJockey Member

Again, lol sorry, just another thing to add. You mention that hunters now days aren't really smart. Well that is more of a cultural thing now. Hunters now days aren't coming up with new ways of hunting and helping our species survive. They just take their guns, sit in a tree, put bait under them, then shoot the poor helpless animal when it comes to the bait. Yes, i am against hunting the way it is nowdays. I think it is pathetic and unfair. You may think this makes me a hypocrite, and maybe it does, but i just don't think these people should call themselves hunters, because they aren't.

14. shutterfly

shutterfly Member

Nooo... I'm not trying to bash omnis... a lot of my friends and family are omnis. I'm just speculating that I have encountered a lot of defensive, angry omnis that get downright mad at me for being vegan. I'm just curious about other people's thoughts on the matter. If there is an omni out there who can justify those particular kind of fellow omni's way of reacting to my veganism maybe he or she can lend some wisdom as to why they are like that. That's all. I and many people have our reasons why we think they're like that. Maybe the're sound reasons, maybe they're not. Who really knows? My intentions were in no way malicious though just so you know. Just curious.

15. shutterfly

shutterfly Member

Sorry if i offended any vegetarians in this post, but many of you have deeply offended me in this thread too...[/QUOTE]

... Never meant to offend anyone. I was merely referring to the angry omnis that give me a hard time for being vegan. I'm not out to piss people off. I'm just looking for reasons to a certain behavioral response to my ways. Yea, I don't think much of consuming meat or any animal products, many aspects of it I absolutely loathe, but that wasn't what this thread was about. If you aren't an angry omni than this doesn't pertain to you. But if you have some positive insight for me I'd dig hearing it.:confused:

16. shutterfly

shutterfly Member

Doc... I love you're cutthroatness. You say it like it is.. that's cool, albeit fuel for the fire in a blaze gone crazy here...

17. shutterfly

shutterfly Member

ATTENTION ALL OMNIS.. ATTENTION ALL OMNIS...

I'm gonna set the record straight once and for all so hopefully there is no more confusion and offenses to deal with. This thread was not at all about bashing omnis. Seeing as I am the author I know what my intentions were. I was trying to gain a better understanding of individual omniheads that get pissed at vegheads for being that way. THAT'S ALL:rolleyes: . Never did I say anything about all omnis being bad or needing to feel bad for there diet nor did I say ALL omnis are angry... I was just referring to the ones that are. If you are not and could care less whether or not someone is vegan, vegetarian, pescatarian or omni than this thread does not pertain to you in any way. I am only looking for insight into that way of thinking. So please don't misunderstand and jump to conclusions, for there is no bashing, defaming, shit talking,defiling, or abusing of omnis going on here.. at least not from my angle. So from here on out if you wanna take it that way that's your issue. I'm done with it.

18. kayatree

kayatree Member

Sure... I understand. No offense taken. Luvin' u kid. :)

I'm not sure that people were bashing veggies... the original question generalized and belittled omni's. Typical for a vegetarian conversation, and to be honest with you - I think it's completely appropriate for this forum. But a statement such as that can't be said without expecting a conflicting opinion.

Believe it or not, some vegetarians (myself included) disagree with a topic that unfairly stereotypes any culture (including omnis) with generalized, negative, statements.

Like I said before - the vegetarian movement is a beautiful, peaceful, and progressive path... but anyone involved should work to achieve these qualities, not contradict them. Choosing to eat or not eat anything is a gift that many people do not possess. Respectfully and intelligently promoting a cause or movement is the only way to receive positive results.

with love,

kayatree

19. kayatree

kayatree Member

I didn't take it as malicious... with love sista. :)
    You're right... there are a lot of omnis that get upset about the very existence of a vegetarian or vegan. Ignorance is incredibly irritating... and I completely sympathize.
    But there are two sides to every coin... I don't know about you, but I wasn't alive during the depression, I've never been starving, nor have I ever lived in a country in which food was scarce. A lot of people see things differently... gracefully and respectfully spreading our beliefs is the only way to gain positive response.
    If not we might as well pack up and get on board the Iraq Liberation Squad. Same idea.

luvin' u,
    kayatree

20. jiimaan

jiimaan Banned

Stating that your analogy was "very stupid" hardly constitutes "personal abuse". It's simply a factual statement.

As for that very pathetic attempt to insult me: LOL! It particularly get a kick out of that "demanding and intellectually challenging job" bit. Oh, do you, now? LOL. That's too much.