Ancient Roman's and Greeks and Crucifixion?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Jimbee68, May 17, 2022.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

As I am sure it is clear, the Greco Roman's had a highly developed science of moral philosophy, otherwise known as ethics. Yet they still practiced Crucifixion, both of them in fact. How could they know of moral laws and values, and yet not know how inherently wrong Crucifixion was? Sheez.

In case you don't know, with Crucifixion, a particularly fit and healthy specimen could be in agony for days. Sounds clearly wrong to me. And if it wasn't wrong, then what on earth was to them? :)

Captain Scarlet likes this.
  2. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

Romans were always seen by many Historians as a sophisticated race and masters of military strategy . They regarded ever one else as barbarians yet to me they were the barbarians as they seeked enjoyment form the suffering of others such as the gladiatorial fights and cruel executions of various captured enemy soldiers. The latter of course included crucifixion. Caligula comes to mind as he was even more cruel when it came to torturous entertainment and perverted as well .

Sawing was a favourite torture and execution method of Caligula .

Possibly that tamest picture I could find

[​IMG]

3. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

The Roman empire had a long history, over 1,000 years. I don't believe they were much more violent than other cultures of their era.

"Barbarians" where often incorporated into the Roma army (foederati) and they could rise to high levels of status, citizenship, and wealth. Diplomatic relations and trade was established with many "barbarian" nations.

They emulated the Greeks and Egyptians in architecture, philosophy, science, trading, etc.

Echtwelniet likes this.
  4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

You could ask the same of Christianity, or many other religions and cultures.

scratcho likes this.
  5. Echtwelniet

Echtwelniet Members

All Cultures/religions/societys were brutal those days...... and after(dark/middle/ect ages).....to anyone not walking inline lol. But the romans also eventually spread/installed christiany....

Religions are also mostly about control imo, maybe not for the believers.But surtenly for the people in power.

On some points we still are brutal.......looking at the world atm:D. Question for me is can we outgrow/evolve in current satus quo...........things like war/greed/religion/ect(humannature).

Mzzls

MeAgain likes this.
  6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

ancient greeks had the advantage of not having had ancient romans before them.

Echtwelniet likes this.
  7. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

The answer may have to do with the word "they", which included cultured intellectuals and more brutal political/military types.