Ancap David D. Friedman

Discussion in 'Anarchy' started by Cherea, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

A very interesting and fascinating man! I haven't seen ancap being represented along the ancap vs. ancom/ansoc spectrum in this forum.

How many of you anarchists know him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4CcannofnY"]David Friedman on How to Privatize Everything - YouTube

* full disclosure: son of Milton Friedman.

2. ThisIsWhyYoureWrong

ThisIsWhyYoureWrong Member

David Friedman is the man. I like his talks about market failures, as well as his book "Law's Order" where he applies economics to law.

3. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

Would you consider yourself an ancap or merely libertarian?

4. ThisIsWhyYoureWrong

ThisIsWhyYoureWrong Member

ancap... in large part thanks to the material available at mises.org

what about you?

5. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

I go back and forth. I would still describe myself as a libertarian with ancap simpathies.

Yesterday, I spent an hour or so watching youtube videos of ancom rebuttals to ancap arguments. Chief among them seems, that private property inequality requires force (the state) to defend itself. It's interesting, but to that I might say, so what?

How would you reply to that counterargument?

6. outthere2

outthere2 Senior Member

True statement. And so ancaps are an oxymoron. They need the state to enforce their form of capitalism; at their core, they're really Capitalists with no prefix. If forced to choose between anarchism or capitalism, my hunch is they'll choose capitalism.

7. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I'm sorry but I'm completely lost. The video gave next to no information at all.

It seems this guy is supporting no central government, no central arbitration system, no uniform enforcement agency, and no uniform laws. Instead he wants a Feud system? Which I take as a form of the Medieval Feudalism system. So that in Feudal law you would be protected, laws would be enacted and enforced, and all arbitration would be by an independent private individual or corporation in return for your services.

So in effect you have a vast intercontinental system of warlords making up their own laws and living in harmony together while tending to every need of their vassals irregardless of the cost to the bottom line of whatever profits they generate as they protect the environment, as they see fit, and take care not to pollute the air of those across the bay.

And what happens if I wish to change jobs and my employer sez, "Sorry Bub, you ain't leaving." Who do I go to as he makes up his own private laws?

He can't be that stupid, what am I missing, please tell me someone?

8. outthere2

outthere2 Senior Member

I think you've got it.

As I understand it, ancaps oppose state heirarchy but accept capitalist heirarchy which is just as prone to corruption by the use of force; they actually need some force to "enforce" their property rights.

9. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

Anarcho-capitalism is an oxymoron, and an unthinkably stupid one at that.

Which branch of government has ever been responsible for producing cars and food, exactly?

Capitalists have always been given the plum production roles in society, with government being given the less profitable industries that capitalists don't want to touch-- and libertarian/ancaps use their charity as a reason to dismiss the governments as incompetent.

The problem with legalizing 'victimless crimes' is that it provides an incentive for corporations to exploit them for profit-- meaning you're more likely to have drugs marketed to children the same way sugary breakfast cereals are.

Ancaps are neo-feudalists at heart... they want to take everyone back to the dark ages.