Anathema

Discussion in 'Music' started by osiris, May 9, 2004.

1. osiris

osiris Senior Member

the new album. if you like pink floyd, this is worth checking out. deep influence from the pink, most surely. the album is called "a natural disaster". very simple, musically, but it's probably the most emotionally moving album i've heard in years. highly recomended for those of you, like me, who like to get all sappy and meloncholy from time to time. it starts out like a black cloud of depression and moves into a realm of sophisticated liberation. beautiful.

much love :)

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I haven't heard it yet. I love the old stuff though, when it had more doom metal influences.

3. osiris

osiris Senior Member

there's still that doom metal influence, but it is much more pleasantly subtle.

much love :)

4. osama

osama Member

It's awesome, but still, I like the Eternity album better :) (Yet I try to be positive at all times :p )

5. RFyellow

RFyellow Member

Hmmm...the only song I've heard from Anathema is called "Angelica" and it is really one of those beautifully sad songs. Perhaps I should check out more of them.

6. osama

osama Member

you sure should! this doom metal stuff is awesome!
    you might also check out My Dying Bride (although some of their stuff is not doom and is rather weird if you expect doom :p ) and Theatre of Tragedy (e.g. the Aegis album of 1998)
    I stand for positivity, but still love doom metal and sad songs (the remains of my depressed teen age :D )

7. hailtothekingbaby

hailtothekingbaby Yowzers!

Anathema and My Dying Bride stood at the cradle of Death / doom metal in the early nineties, together with Paradise Lost they were the "Yorkshire three". :) My Dying Bride has stayed gothic/doom metal, got softer in the middle of their career so far (The angel and the dark river and Like gods of the sun lacked death metal vocals completely and didn't have the heavy downtuned parts anymore), but their latest three albums are back to their symphonic doom/death style of their most essential album Turn Loose the Swans. Anathema has gotten much more gothic rock-ish over the years and now has completely transformed into rather depressing (progressive) rock. Paradise Lost got a bit too Lost, I believe, and ended up as a glam rock band or something.

I like Anathema's older work (The crestfallen EP & Pentecost III, for example), but am also a bit of a fan of their newer Judgement album, at least the two first songs are quite brilliant. I haven't heard A natural disaster yet. So far I love My Dying Bride one hundred thousand three million hundred five times as mucher as Anathema though. :)

Tip: check out the Irish band Mourning Beloveth, which sounds like My Dying Bride's heavier periods, but with quadrupled heaviness and despair. :)

8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I haven't heard their newest one, but I didn't get really excited about their stuff after Alternative 4, so I don't expect too much.

I still love Crestfallen, Serenades and Pentecost III though.

Edit: haha, I see I already responsed in this topic earlier. :p

9. hailtothekingbaby

hailtothekingbaby Yowzers!

Is that a sin? Methinks it's wholesome instead!