Anarchy: Official Definition

Discussion in 'Anarchy' started by Hellozz, Aug 21, 2018.

1. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

No, the book Anarchy Works thoroughly refutes this.
    Again no, and some recent examples can also easily refute this. When the state abandons an area declaring a sacrifice zone, as it did after Hurricane Katrina and Maria, communities and anarchists come together during the power vacuum and experiment with new ways of life, while also rebuilding the lives devastated by the storms, undermining large relief organizations:

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I don't have time to read the entire book, but I scanned through it.
    First of all it seems you and I have a difference of opinion as to what anarchy is. I go by the dictionary definition:
    With anarchy there is no form of government, at all.
    So I looked in the book for the section on decision making.
    In the author's list of ways to make a decision, he includes consensus, that would be a democratic form of decision making, i.e. a Democracy. The decisions would be made in a meeting, or informally.
    Then he gives us an example wherein Koreans in 1929 formed "village councils, district councils, and area councils to deal with matters of cooperative agriculture, education, and finance,", i.e. a governmental structure. Not an anarchy.

In Spain in 1936 they formed labor unions, another form of government. "...peasants organized themselves according to principles of communism, collectivism, or mutualism according to their preferences and local conditions."
    Anarcho-communism promotes direct democracy and workers councils, a form of government. Collectivism was a principle part of Marxist/Leninist theory and practice and relies heavily on Communism. Mutualism requires a central credit system based on "democratically organised workers' associations," according to its prime proponent Pierre-Joseph Proudhon. So there's that word democracy again.

And I stopped there.
    My concept of an anarchy would not include any form of government, especially the forms proposed by Peter Gelderloos, the author of your book.
    So we're talking about two different things.
    I'm talking about anarchy: "a state of disorder due to absence or nonrecognition of authority."
    You're talking about different forms of order based upon various forms of non unconventional authority.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    McFuddy and Okiefreak like this.
  3. GuerrillaLorax

Seeing as you need an "official" definition here's one that doesn't hilariously add "chaos" and "mayhem" as synonyms, from Wikipedia:
    There's also:
    I don't view modern workers unions as anarchist either, but in Spain during a literal anarchist revolution they were anarchistic. Councils can also be anarchistic in that they both rely on voluntary association, and are not necessarily a decision making body. Since you're so interested in decision making processes I highly recommend From Democracy to Freedom, here's the pdf or an audio-zine.

4. Pretty much all of our subcultures are anarchistic in structure, though. I'd go so far as to say anarchism has as much an impact on our everyday lives as capitalism. Under capitalism there are haves and have-nots, but there's really no heirarchy in a republic. I can follow anyone I want.

5. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Yes, well any time you have a hierarchy you have some form of leader or leaders, as hierarchies have low and high ends. Someone is above someone else. If there is no hierarchy what so ever, I would think that would be a perfect communistic society. Everyone is equal.
    If you have a voluntary institution, it would seem to me it must have some form of hierarchy or it wouldn't be able to maintain an existence for very long.

6. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

For me, anarchism either begins within your own heart or its just more of your personal bullshit. The world must want to live without governments before they can possibly last more than a few days without one.

7. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

I really don't think the condescension in this thread is necessary at all. The fuck.

8. GuerrillaLorax

This is a great contribution! It's important to reflect on modern anarchist societies and not just historical ones like the Paris Commune. Like Rojava mentioned in your link and also the Zapatista controlled Chiapas. Although these two are not anarchist in their entirety, they are built along anarchist principles and many influencial participants are anarchists.

Other modern anarchist communities and autonomous zones are La Zad, Exarchia, Unist'ot'en, Three Sisters and many other permanent anti-industrialization zones. I agree that small villages can be anarchistic easier than vast societies, but maybe it's better for the earth for us to live in villages anyway. But a zine I don't necessarily agree with, attempting to cover large anarchist societies in response to climate catastrophe, is Welcome to the Future.
    In anarchist organizations there is no hierarchy. Technically I agree with you as I see anarcho-syndicalism as a flawed idea, especially in today's world, and could easily be made authoritarian. But I wouldn't say anarchists who prefer this old tendancy aren't anarchist. Historical and modern examples of voluntary revolutionary institutions lasting are abundant.

Also for you and basically anyone else stuck in capitalism with not much time to sit and read, I tried to add as many audio links as I could.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  9. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

The word Anarchy has been (mis)appropriated by the far left.

Anarcho-communism is a paradox. You cannot implement marxist or keyensian system without the forceful hand of government. Whereas the definition of anarchy is a system without a government.

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I see.

11. GuerrillaLorax

What a great insight. When did this thread become about Marxism?