Anarchism = Libertarianism

Discussion in 'Libertarian' started by Silverbackman, Apr 16, 2007.

1. sudo

sudo Member

Without laws, petty gangs and warlords would rule everything. Thuggery and terror would dictate who works for whom and who is in charge. Getting rid of government altogether would be a guaranteed express train back to feudalism.

2. wa bluska wica

wa bluska wica Pedestrian

and that would be different how?

3. smilingtiger

smilingtiger Member

I don't agree that Anarchy = Libertarianism. I became a Libertarian in 1986. It was my understanding(and still is)that there is a certain amount of force used in a Libertarian system. Stealing is punished, borders are protected. Taxes are involuntary(now this is up for debate; the case for voluntary taxation can be debated and should be); etc. My understanding is that under a system of anarchy, there is no force at all used by government. Having observed human nature, I don't think that will work. It may work for some time if you have a group of like minded individuals in a small community; but a whole nation of people? Not in the short term, perhaps decades or centuries in the future it may come about. It(anarchy) is however a worthwhile ideal.

4. def zeppelin

def zeppelin All connected

If you really want a very clear headed perspective on Libertarianism than I recommend looking into Mike Gravel's stances on the subject.

5. IntellectualCurious

IntellectualCurious Member

someone fucks with me, I call the cops?
    laws that protect people?

6. IntellectualCurious

This is what I believe as well. I support both to different points.

7. IntellectualCurious

THANK YOU. This is EXACTLY why anarchy will never work.

8. famewalk

famewalk Banned

The idea of law is against order; the idea of order requires no laws.

They do, however (that is the new anarchists), jump to the conclusion that the order that we can accomplish from laws is idealizable from mixed as well as utterly arbitrary perspectives. The perspective would mean, the way I see it, something continuously self-realized in pure communication. But if we have to perceive laws, each for ourselves, then What inclines us for the Order of it? I'll have to check that one. The laws no doubt put us out of will for the in itself state of common governance. :mad:

9. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

What I like about Libertarianism is that Old Right appeal, that is both laissez-faire and unsentimental about the facts of life (inequality, hierarchy, order, competition, etc.).

Anarchism, though, still smacks of utopianism.

10. Individual

Individual Senior Member

No government is not the same as small government.

Anarchism != Libertarianism

11. Wishbear

Wishbear Guest

Laws don't protect people, they punish afterwards...maybe. Laws don't stop people from doing drugs, raping people, etc. If they did, no one would do drugs, rape people commit murders, etc. They aren't invisible forcefields against wrong doing. They define what society feels is acceptable behavior and creates guidelines for punishing those who don't fit the correct definition. This is done poorly in modern society. Defending people from the state is my job and I've seen innocent people take pleas and guilty people go free.

The system of law and justice is broken.

Cops are five minutes away when you need them to be seconds away, therefore your "someone fucks with me" statement is not relevant to the context of the conversation.

Protect yourself, be situationally aware...this is how to protect yourself.

12. bricklayer

bricklayer Guest

You are in error.

Anarchy is 100% liberty. Anarchy cannot be maintained among two or more people.

Libertarianism does not advocate 100% liberty among people.
    Libertarianism advocates prohibiting or mandating away only that fraction of a percentage of liberty that maximizes the liberty secured.

[Liberty- Authority over and responsibility for self]