'An unmitigated disaster': America's year of Covid

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Piobaire, Jan 31, 2021.

1. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

But as yet, the NHS has not been overwhelmed and ben forced to allow people to die from lack of care or doctors.

2. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Maybe not, but how many NHS personnnel have died due to lack of proper PPE hmmmm ???

Then there's the stupidity of failing to lock down timeously enough, causing yet more deaths, the stupidity of Boris et al in agreeing to a ridiculous Trade deal with the EU at the last minute which has caused absoloute chaos in Northern Ireland and at the Channel Ports, Then there's the fiasco in education, the stupidity of this scumbag 'nasty party' causing untold deaths in the care industry due again to their incompetence.

3. wilsjane

Do you know the answer, I don't.
    Like everyone else, NHS staff die and working with covid patients would result in the virus being present. The real question is how many of these deaths were additional to the normal figures.
    We never have enough equipment to do deal with something outside the norm, so what was Boris supposed to do. The government fund the NHS, but have no input into it's day to day operation.
    Again, were any deaths additional, or people left to die without the correct treatment. People who were venerable were allowed to go out, but no one forced them to.

At the end of the day, it is the number of deaths in excess of 1,500 per day during averaged over the entire epidemic that will paint the true picture.
    Today, it is running at plus 1.5%. This is quite normal during any epidemic. Don't forget that while most deaths where the level of virus reduced lives for a month of so, it will reflect in low figures for the following year.
    It is still sad, but beyond our control.

wrat1 and Mallyboppa like this.
  4. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I know you're an apologist for this scumbag 'nasty party' but you have significantly failed to address any of my criticisms of this scumbag 'nasty party' government over their stupidity around the the EU trade deal, and the chaos they have caused in Northern Ireland and around the Port of Dover due to their stupidity !!!

5. wilsjane

As you know, I am by no means a fan of Boris (who I used to call "Bumbling Boris"), but I try to be fair.

Put yourself in the position of prime minister following the results of a referendum to leave the EU. With Brussels openly bragging about how long it was going to take to get the UK on her knees, how would you have handled the situation.?

It is plainly obvious to all of us that companies within the EU want our trade and need our money, the 20 million pound per year milk deal with Ireland being a prime example. In reality, it is the self appointed gods in Brussels who are acting like petulant children.

While 2 of our children and I have UK passports, Jane and our youngest daughter (who was born while we were living in Ireland) are Irish citizens.
    Prior to the EEC, Ireland had 2 routes at customs. (Irish and UK citizens) (Other parts of the world)
    Think of all the potential fun next time that we fly into Cork, with me being interrogated by the immigration officer who is Jane's brother inlaw.
    Perhaps I should take a film unit to cover all the fun, Who knows, I may win a BAFTA award. :)

wrat1 likes this.
  6. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

In the first six months of 2020, American life expectancy suffered it's highest drop since WWII; from 78.8 years to 77.8. For African Americans, their life expectancy dropped by 2.7 years; more than 2 1/2 times that of Whites.
    "American carnage" indeed.
    Trump Virus causes sharp drop in American life expectancy

7. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

According to one of our former members, "they were all going to die in two years anyways"

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Analysis; half of global coronavirus deaths unreported
    "The analysis found that the U.S. still has the highest death toll of any country. But instead of the country's official toll of nearly 580,000 lives lost, it is actually over 900,000, according to the analysis. That number would put the U.S. well over the death toll from the 1918 flu pandemic, which was estimated to be about 675,00 lives."
    Whether by negligence, incompetence, or willful sabotage, Trump was able to negate over 100 years of scientific progress.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    granite45 likes this.
  9. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

Provisional Death Counts for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Spanish flu - Wikipedia

The Spanish flu, also known as the 1918 influenza pandemic, was an unusually deadly influenza pandemic caused by the H1N1 influenza A virus. Lasting from February 1918 to April 1920, it infected 500 million people – about a third of the world's population at the time – in four successive waves. The death toll is typically estimated to have been somewhere between 20 million and 50 million, although estimates range from a conservative 17 million to a possible high of 100 million, making it one of the deadliest pandemics in human history.[3][4][5]