An open letter to young hippies

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Reverand JC, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Sunflower Sky

Sunflower Sky Member

Yeah, I know what you mean

2. wild-flowers

wild-flowers forever arbitrary

Well said.

3. Shale

Shale ~

It wasn't so scary at the time. This is one of those zeitgeist moments, where you had to have been there.

In '66 the war was not popular but not yet the pariah it would soon become. We were losing "our boys" over there so the fact that they should not have been there was irrelevant - ours were dying and being maimed.

Of course I was yet a young man and in the military. At one point upset at the beating our guys were taking, a group of us tried to get transferred to Nam - but that was out of the question. (We had access to Top Secret info at NSA - no way we would go to a war zone).

4. junglejack

junglejack aiko aiko

Quote:
    Peace Out,
    Rev J
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -- JC> There a boatload of irony in there somewhere- -

Shale->even though I know how you guys feLt- Im so glad your transfer was denied

Peace&respect
    jack

5. granny_longhair

granny_longhair Member

Wow ... it's been a long time since I've heard that. But for heaven's sake, don't give these tea party people any ideas ... they're likely to take it up as a theme song.

6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I agree with you to a certain extent. Music is incredibly subjective and I try to be as open minded about music as possible because I respect anyone that creates their own music; I know from any artistic endevour i've ever attempted that sharing your art is equivalent to sharing a piece of your soul. It doesn't really matter to me if it comes in the form of folk or hip hop or glam rock or emo or even pop. My problem with the mainstream music industry is that most artists give up artistic control when they sign to a major label. There are exceptions of course...bands like mgmt and the black keys come to mind. But for the most part, even if you were original and creative to begin with, once you sign to a major label you create exactly what they want you to create. And thats a small minority of mainstream music. The majority are people that are groomed by the music industry for the music industry. And i'm pretty sure the same two people are writing every single song that is released nowadays, thats the only plausible reason for why every single song I hear on top 40 radio sounds exactly like the one played before and after it.

i have a hard time respecting the musical tastes of people that only listen to mainstream music. If you wanna get down to a britney spears song or whatever because you enjoy it, thats fine with me. But I think that people that only listen to what is played on the radio aren't doing so because of a genuine love of music. It seems to me that they listen to that because the music industry tells them thats what they should listen to. Thats what bothers me.

yup. there are so many good musicians out there that are creating successful careers for themselves without working within the confines of the major labels.

7. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

They're more likely to to use this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTKx2f44tDo"]YouTube - Coven - One tin soldier (with lyrics)

Conservatives don't usually understand bitter sarcasm.

Remember when Reagan wanted to use "Born in the USA" by Bruce Springsteen.
    Some how:
    "Born down in a dead mans town
    The first kick I took was when I hit the Ground
    End up like a dog that's been beat too much
    Till you spend half your life just covering up now
    Born in the USA"

Doesn't sound very patriotic to me.

Peace Out,
    Rev J

8. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

It may not, Rev. JC, but it is accurate.

9. Reverand JC

10. PAX-MAN

PAX-MAN Just A Old Hippy

I saw Tom Green being interviewed last nite and he made a really interesting comment:
    He said that he thinks what killed the music are videos. Nowadays all you have to do is look really good and a computer will look after the rest. You really have to look hard for good music out there. I have a tendency to agree with him.

PAX

11. granny_longhair

granny_longhair Member

LOL ... and those two people are the kids of the two people who were writing every single song in the 50's and 60's.

I think it's possible to appreciate a particular piece of music or a particular genre of music, even if you don't especially like it. Being musical is different from being likable.

For instance, my parents listened to a lot of the "crooners" of the 40's and 50's ... Bing Crosby, Perry Como, Vic Damone, etc. I don't particularly care for them myself, but nonetheless I can appreciate that at their best, what they did was musical even if it wasn't my cup of tea.

12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

thats true. i appreciate jazz but i can't really enjoy it unless i'm in a certan mood.

the opposite is true too...when I get urges to dance around my living room, i can enjoy awful pop/dance music but i never really appreciate it.

13. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

It's the same as always, if you don't like it you don't look at them (at least... you should). I rarely watch music videos. I also find that you don't have to look that hard for good music if you know where to look. It's not that hard to ignore videos. You can also check out new music without youtube etc.

14. granny_longhair

granny_longhair Member

I love YouTube. Hardly a day goes by that I don't suddenly remember some old song that I haven't heard in years, and I can almost always find it on YouTube. Same with old TV or movie clips.

Of course, with the really old songs, they didn't have music videos per se, so what you see on YouTube is stuff that somebody has put together themselves. A lot of times they're really nice, too.

15. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Yeah I use it to check out a quick song as well, in fact it's the only place I look occasionally at a music video. But even then I generally let it play and do other stuff rather than look at it.

16. Meliai

Meliai Banned

i think the idea of videos killing music is pretty obsolete now. MTV is no longer music television, so in order to see a video you have to already know the song and look it up on youtube, in which case you arent just digging the song for the way the band looks in the video.

i was never a fan of music videos, but when I was in middle school and stuck at home during summer vacation I would always turn on MTV and just let it play while I did other things. They always played good shit back then too, it was all alternative. That was before they started playing only hip hop and eventually stopped playing music period. MTV, what happened to you??

17. barefootlocks

barefootlocks Senior Member

I don't think videos killed music, I think it's those damn teenagers:toetap05: rubble rubble

Anywho, I used to watch VH1 in the morning while I was getting ready for school, and they played the exact same 10 song lineup all week. It sucked. But then, lo and behold, I got turned on to some GOOD music and all is well. lol Never seen any music videos for it though, other than recordings of shows.

Anytime I listen to the radio, which is if I'm totally out of new music, I'm just listening to it to get me by...then I hear those awful "songs" and want to gouge my brain out with a screwdriver through my ear hole and go back to my played to much cds

But yeah, you definitely have to look hard to find some good stuff.

18. PAX-MAN

PAX-MAN Just A Old Hippy

I don't want to jack this thread, so if you want to discuss this any further, you can do it at the link.

http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/showthread.php?p=6569510#post6569510

PAX

19. Reverand JC

Yeah but look who they were:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6AM-GpsqI4"]YouTube - John Stewart-Daydream Believer.mov

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Exm4K1ObQ"]YouTube - Neil Diamond - I'm A Believer Glastonbury 08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XFLruFA-9Y"]YouTube - Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow? - C.King

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MopbhuZ2Bh0"]YouTube - Carole King - Up On The Roof

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOyvYnkdEcc

And the Scorpio in me feels the need to point out that the album Tapestry
    opens and closes with songs about Orgasm.

Peace Out,
    Rev J

20. granny_longhair

granny_longhair Member

What I meant in my earlier post was that each generation has its shining lights and its dull lights, and the ratio of one to the other probably doesn't change much over time.

Not every songwriter in the 50's and 60's was Carole King or Neil Diamond :)