An Aquarian's Favorite Books... If you Liked the movie "Fight Club", You'll Love...

Discussion in 'Books' started by TattoedAquarian, Jan 22, 2005.

1. TattoedAquarian

TattoedAquarian Senior Member

My favorite book of all time is "The Perks of Being a Wallflower". Highly recommend - Everyone one that i've leant it to returns it the next time I see them because they couldn't put it down and then go buy it. Another book I haven't seen posted is "The Moon and Sixpence" which is by one of the best existentialist authors I've ever read, Maugham. Really anything by Arthur Nethessian ("The Fuck-Up", "Chinese Takeout", "Dogrun",etc.) or Chuck Palahniuk ("FightClub", "Diary", "Choke",etc) is awesome. If you like horror read Clive Barker ("Hellraiser").

2. sharon

sharon Member

Um, I liked the movie fight club and although I've never read anything by Chuck Palahniuk, I've had him recommended to me so many times now that I think I'll have to read him.
    What are your books about? You recommend them highly but don't really give any indications as to why you liked them so much?
    I'm a big reader and have VERY broad tastes but don't really like horror

3. wrine420

wrine420 Member

Being a big Chuck Palahniuk fan, I can describe his style it a bit. In many ways, it's heavily influenced by Vonnegut. One can easily see that. It's very minimalistic also, and flows as if your being told a story. Details of characters and scenes aren't so important as much as dialogue and thoughts. As far as themes, its not really so outwardly spoken. However, most of his works have the "anti social" theme running through them, as is seen in Fight Club. To tell you the truth, Fight Club is probably his best work.

Reading Vonnegut would be highly suggested before you read Palahniuk. But my favs are Fight Club, Choke, and Survivor.

Hope that helped a bit :)

4. TattoedAquarian

TattoedAquarian Senior Member

~Thanks for clueing Sharon in a little bit more than i did... I must admit that i had better intentions when i began writing the thread starter, but then something came up so i composed it in a hurry... My apologies... And Sharon, i hope i haven't soured Chuck for you - he's really awesome even though some of his readers (like myself) are lazy thread starters...

5. sharon

sharon Member

Thanks for the responses - I've actually started reading some Vonnegut recently and have found that his spare writing style suits my current reading tastes. I'll read more of him before I go on to the others suggested - I like it when writers are influenced by other writers and take themes/ideas/styles and develop them further or in a different way

6. Eugene

Eugene Senior Member

Perks of being a wallflower is set in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, offically becoming the first good anything that is set/comes from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
    (PM me if you want to debate the location.)