Amtrak Collision and Derailment in South Carolina

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Aerianne, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

They say two are dead and 90 injured.

2. deleted

deleted Visitor

two shitty railroads leave the station at 9am, how long will it take before shit happens?

3. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't think I'd ever ride Amtrak.

4. deleted

deleted Visitor

100+people are going to be pissing in a cup. Even if they wasnt on shift.

5. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Sadly, this article does not surprise me. Every time I've ridden Amtrak (maybe 20-30 times in my life), there has been a problem, and the train is either delayed or otherwise inconvenienced. I've been on trains that had to stop for lightening storms, for snow, for too much rain, for too much heat, for the train somehow dying, and for other mysterious reasons. Fuck Amtrak: the most overpriced, inefficient, and frankly unsafe option for public transit in America.

Eric! likes this.
  6. deleted

deleted Visitor

no train ever runs on time.. just adding that as I work within the railroad., its all bullshit.

7. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

They have the mechanical answer to stop collisions, but I'm going to assume that the railroads and /or their lobbyists have paid off enough of our legislators to preclude the installation of such. Why else have they allowed this spate of collisions with injuries and deaths to continue? I "we" had a real president , he/she would stop the railroads IMMEDIATELY until the devices were installed. (what a dreamer I am---keep the money rolling in--that's the mantra from top to bottom. What's a few lives when money is at stake?)

8. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

They should at least have 2 engineers just in case one falls asleep.

9. deleted

deleted Visitor

Didnt yall have a real president 8yrs ago?

What does any of this have to do with Donald Trump?

10. scratcho

Just another dig at Blump and the rest of them for allowing this to keep going. Of course, I understand that he's too busy helping the black folks that he was going to---never mind.

11. Maccabee

Maccabee Luke 22:35-38

Isn't that a bit radical? That'll be like saying we should dismantle the government until we get honest people in there. While I'm for honest people working in government, dismantling it completely is dropping a bomb on a mole hill.

12. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Not even close.

Dead bodies are being dragged out of wrecked cars on the highways every minute of every day, an endless demolition derby and bloodbath 24/7/365, but people are afraid of Amtrak because they can remember the last time there was a trainwreck, and the pictures didn't look good on TV. It makes no sense to me. The logic is completely brain-dead. Skydiving is safer than driving a car. If we had a cable TV channel devoted to nothing but US traffic accents and gave each story 30 seconds, there's no way they could keep up.

Amtrak seems to have very few problems around my area, except for some delays on CSX tracks. On the Norfolk Southern tracks, everything seems to go smoothly. There's a reason why people say CSX stands for Crash, Spill, and Xplode.

At least when Amtrak is running slow, you can get up and walk to the dining car or bathroom. I'll take that over gridlock on I-95, creeping along with a million angry idiot drivers.

Oh yeah, let's dump all that traffic on the highways, including all the toxic chemicals. What could possibly go wrong?

13. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I recall only one time I rode Amtrack. It was a very beautiful ride through the forest and the mountains on a sunrise. Was slower than driving but it is nice to be able to have the freedom to get up and walk around; you don't get that freedom on a plane or a car.

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Conductor 5 mins early, better slow down to make sure I don't get there on time.

:p

15. scratcho

"what could possibly go wrong.?" Uh----hate to beat the fabled dead horse, but another train wreck? 2 more? 3?

16. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

You can't get up and stretch your lega on a plane? News to me.

17. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Not even close.

Stop giving truck drivers and their evil employers a free pass. They kill more people in an average year than Amtrak has in its entire history. Trucking has a huge Washington lobbying group. They can get whatever they want.

Bus companies have had a bad couple of years too. They beat Amtrak's casualty totals.