Amputation !!!

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by FRUITACO, Oct 10, 2013.

1. FRUITACO

FRUITACO Member

I lost my leg's bellow the knee in 2012 from frostbite while snowshoeing on the grand mesa. Anyway, It really mentaly takes a toll on your whole life when sometning happens like that. They were part of my body for 33 years an now their gone forever. I use prostetics now but they are hard to get used to. An there is just so many things I cant do that I used to. (Skiing) I would ski 60 -65 days out of the season. Now I cant ski at all. Im just mentaly drained at this point. I take Prosac for the depression but it only helps so much. Anyway, has anyone else are or been in my situation or something like it ? Any good an happy advice is welcome. Thanks everyone !

2. alakazam

alakazam Guest

Oh, man, sorry to hear about that. What type of prostetics do you use? Do you have one of those microprocessor-controlled ones? Have you considered a leg transplant surgery. As far as I've read, it is possible, but it takes years or physical therapy and injections for the person to be able to use the transplanted leg.

3. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

Hmmm. Grand Mesa has some beautiful country.

Hilltop used to be one of the best rehab hospitals in the western US until St. Mary's bought them out. I used to see an orthopedic surgeon over by Community Hospital in the old medical complex on Orchard. I forget his name. Him and his sons are working together now. He's always been good to me. I suggest talking with him and getting some direction. He can refer you to a psychologist that could help.

Been so long since I've been there, I don't think I could ever go back. No loss.

4. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Fruita, you can ski. Winter Park is where the para Olympians train.
    Here's what I found:
    SkiWiz! suggests . . .
    Try just colorado for all sites about skiing in Colorado, there's about 800 last time I checked.

Ski & Snowboard Sites 1 - 7 of 7
    1) Adaptive Adventures [Disabled Skiing]
    Outdoor sports opportunities to improve quality of life for children, adults and veterans with physical disabilities and their families.
    2) Adaptive Sports Association of Durango [Disabled Skiing]
    Our mission is to enhance the self esteem and physical well-being of people with disabilities through sports and the outdoors.
    3) BOEC [Disabled Skiing]
    The Breckenridge Outdoor Education Center (BOEC) is a national leader in outdoor adventure education serving all people, with a specialized focus on serving those with disabilities and special needs.
    4) Colorado Discover Ability [Disabled Skiing]
    Adaptive school at Powderhorn Resort, Colorado. A non-profit organization. Ski or snowboard with our PSIA-certified instructors.
    5) Eldora Special Recreation Program [Disabled Skiing]
    Eldora Mountain Resort, located just 21 miles west of Boulder, Colorado, has been home to the Eldora Special Recreation Program (ESRP) since 1975.
    6) The Adaptive Sports Center [Disabled Skiing]
    Through sports like skiing this center located in Crested Butte, Colorado provides the means for people of all abilities 'to experience being alive'.

http://skicentral.com/search.html?s...etic&options=all&new=all&format=&label=Search

To search, try "disabled", "adaptive" and "amputee" plus the word "skiing." That's three different searches, btw.

Eta: I've been along with some skiing for the blind days as a reporter. Skill counts for a lot. I don't alpine ski well at all. I'm a cross country and Nordic skier. The sight impaired and blind kids smoked me on the slopes.

5. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

wow mang...

i've never been in a situation even close to that, but i'd say DM's advice to get out there and ski is good stuff. if that's your passion, no wonder you're munching depression drugs. lemme guess, some shrink prescribed those... :(

i dunno, there's no way a guy like me could relate, the closest i got to that was a pretty bad bike wreck that left me broke up but not missing parts.

if you love and miss skiing, then fuckin ski, is what i say and replace the prozac with some weed.

6. calgirl

calgirl Senior Member

First of all....hugs! Did you realize how cold you were getting. I've gotten frostbite before, it's painful. You know, an athelete and a young man is what you are FIRST, and losing your legs is an incident. I agree it's a BIG incident, but not one that makes you any less character/person, only less body. Having prostethics gives you new goals.

7. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Sorry that you are going through this.

It's a severe blow to have to endure. On the other hand, a severe event like this can help you put things into perspective.

You could have died on the mesa. There's also a lot of people who will have more severe stuff happen to them. That's not to say that what you went through isn't a big trauma, but focusing on what went wrong and being depressed about it is probably going to take away more from you than just the loss of your legs.

If you appreciate what you've got and make the best of what you have, you'll be better off than a lot of people who have both legs.

Making a list of all of the things that you are grateful for in life. It's been proven to make people feel better.

I know that taking the lemons and making lemonade is easier said than done, but it still can be done. Traumatic events can be the spring board for discovering what is most meaningful for you in life and to make a change of direction. There is a saying, "it is when we stumble that we find life's treasures".

Maybe you might be interested in a meditation practice. Some people believe that it is the way to ultimate benefit.

8. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Did you know that when Aaron Ralston got his prosthetic, the first thing he did was go ice climbing? Sure, his prosthetic was an ice axe (or had interchangeable parts, I was a bit buzzed when he was telling the story, and it was at a show), but he got back out there.

There's a reason the movie option on his book was used.