Ampere Rumors

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by wooleeheron, Apr 3, 2018.

1. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter HipForums Supporter

Market Realist

Technically, Nvidia's Titan V, based on their Tesla architecture, is the most powerful consumer graphics card on the market today with 110 teraflops of raw compute power. That's almost half the estimated requirements for running a Star Trek holodeck, and the video card can casually crush any video game on the planet at 4k resolutions and high frame rates. Unfortunately, it contains additional circuitry for AI that gamers don't need, is not really adapted for gaming, and costs no less than $3,000.oo.

For the rest of us mere mortals with shallow pockets, the standard today is the gtx 1080 ti, which is widely considered the first affordable graphics card capable of doing 4k video gaming serious justice with just 11.5 teraflops and costing a third of what the Titan V does. If it were not for mining driving prices up, the 1080 ti would cost one fifth the price of the Titan V. Ampere looks likely to hit the shelves sometime in July or August and will be Nvidia's first real time ray tracing graphics card.

Very likely, it will have some of the same asic or arithmetic accelerators that the Titan V does which are dedicated to rendering "Hybrid Ray Tracing" that adds lighting and shadows or whatever to a rasterized scene. The truth is, rasterized engines are so good they can compete with ray tracing but, when they can't such as rendering glass and shadows, its a huge leap forward in quality. Nvidia has huge advantages in both market share and technology fostering early adoption, while AMD's advantage will become apparent with the release of the next generation Xbox and Playstation in 2020. These will almost certainly use Ryzen chips and AMD graphics for ray tracing, compelling developers to adopt the AMD ray tracing system, which supports much more open platforms.

In the meantime, the video game Star Citizen may be one of the few to adopt their new Radeon Rays, while we can expect many AAA titles to adopt Nvidia's new RTX within the next couple of years. Among other things, the Titan V has HBM2 memory which is expensive, and Ampere is probably going to use GDDR6 memory instead, which still costs 20% more. I would expect these new Ampere cards might put out somewhere up to 21 teraflops, with roughly 14 teraflops being enough for the job in most cases. But, that's a guess, with hybrid ray tracing requiring roughly 1/3 more power than standard 4k.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I wish they'd just stick to one thing for a decade hey like this 4k shit, is it really necessary? I have a theory that with every new fancy pants TV and screen that comes out, so does your eye prescription as you realise your eyes suck on the new format.

3. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter HipForums Supporter

The 4k resolution standard is probably the end of the line, with everyone agreeing that 8k is not a significant enough improvement to be worth spending money on. Monitors are probably going to double in brightness, so they more often look like you are actually looking through a window, have much better color, and get over 200hz so you can't notice any blur. All of that is just what is becoming cheaper to manufacture that also makes a big difference. Adding ray tracing makes a huge difference as well and, personally, I'm excited because PC video gaming lost a lot of its appeal for me over the last several years, merely making everything higher resolution.

My own interest is in the 3D quality of the images, which adding more light to enhances a great deal, and in the AI it makes possible. Ray traced bots can be easily programmed to look you and each other in the eye and act as if they recognize what you are doing, while currently many bots might as well be bouncing off the walls for all the realism they display. The same ray tracing circuitry can also be used for some physics like swirling leaves and whatnot.

This is related to Microsoft's next generation interfaces. Using just two cheap cameras that can even be built into a laptop display frame the computer can recognize your gestures and expressions, and even track your eyes. Eye tracking is sometimes far superior to using a mouse, much more intuitive and faster.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018