American grammar.

Discussion in 'Writers Forum' started by Bilby, Mar 13, 2022.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

When I went to school growing up in the UK I was taught that and should only be used once in a sentence. I have been reading the book Bird By Bird by Anne Lamott that I was recommended to read when I was doing a screenwriting course. Smooth writing, but I have come across one sentence where and was used twice; another used it thrice. Is this normal in American grammar?

2. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

It would be normal to use a comma between the first two items saving the "and" for the final. In other words, "apples, oranges and peaches."

3. Angelmama

Angelmama Angel Lifetime Supporter

As an English major in college, I was taught that 'and' is used once in a sentence, unless a list is involved.

Toker, Candy Gal and Bilby like this.
  4. MidtownMind

MidtownMind Hip Forums Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I have never heard of that, that ‘and’ should only be used once in a sentence.

I can think of any number of well-published and highly-regarded American novelists who didn’t/don’t abide by that, either. The first that comes to my mind is William Faulkner. Read Sanctuary, or Light in August, or Absalom! Absalom! Some of his sentences go on for an entire page.

Toker and Bilby like this.
  5. zer0

zer0 Members

I hadn't heard that rule, but it makes sense. Unfortunately, like many Americans, I learned English from Peewee Herman.
    "It's like you're unravelling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting..."

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
    Davey Do likes this.
  6. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

7. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

I have now come across a sentence where and was used 8 times.

zer0 and Candy Gal like this.
  8. Candy Gal

Good grief.

9. Angelmama

Angelmama Angel Lifetime Supporter

This idea distresses me, like poetry that doesn't rhyme.

Candy Gal likes this.
  10. Candy Gal

Then it is just prose.

11. Wally Pitcher

Wally Pitcher Members

I think that the formal language in the US and UK have historical roots, and should be very similar. In the U. S. there is a highly regional diversity in the common language. If individuals who have a High School Education only, and decide to actually write something (rather than text), who knows what will be written down, from Southern Drawl to Ebonics, Jive, rural and Urban etc.. What amazes me, now that British Programs are on our televisions daily, words are used commonly that we recognize but rarely use. The real challenge is for recently immigrated South Asians, who take idioms seriously, and try to cope with idiomatic differences between the U. S. and the U. K. in conversational language. That is entirely a different challenge.

scratcho, Angelmama and Candy Gal like this.
  12. Wally Pitcher

Wally Pitcher Members

I am surprised that there is not more interest in this. I see that you are in the UK. When I last visited the path of my ancestors in Norwich and Exeter, I found that the use of the Queens/Kings English varied a lot depending on what city you were in. London had a wide variety of "dialects" being used in the various shops and museums. In Exeter and Tonbridge Wells I felt that I was back in the USA on a weekend day. In Edinburgh I felt like I was transported to another country. I recall telling one store keeper that I was from the US and could he speak in English. He seemed insulted and said hat he was speaking in English. It is all fun to debate as long as an Australian does not enter into the conversation. Thanks for the comment Wally

13. soulpoker

soulpoker Senior Member

I can see "and" more than once in a complex sentence, or in phrases that contain the word like "salt and pepper hair," "trials and tribulations," etc. Or is the latter trivial for this case?

Toker likes this.
  14. buzzgunner

buzzgunner 180 grains of diplomacy Lifetime Supporter

Not necessarily. Google "Oxford comma".

15. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Like all rules, their are exceptions, but 'and' should rarely be used more than once in a sentence. The exceptions normally involve a coma included between the and's
    For example, asking someone about their desert after dinner.
    Would you prefer apple crumble and custard, or fruit salad and cream.?
    To some extent, this could be seen as a list, although only two options were involved.

If I find myself needing to use 'and' more than once, I normally restructure the sentence.
    In my example, I would probably have said, "apple crumble WITH custard".

Toker likes this.
  16. Toker

Toker Lifetime Supporter

Speaking of AND....

wilsjane likes this.
  17. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

And then,10% discount.
    And then, another 10% discount
    And so on
    Unfortunately, being a parabolic progression, he would never get his food for free.
    And then, try to explain why not in Chinese.

Toker likes this.
  18. oldguynurse

oldguynurse Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

As Churchill wrote: "Two peoples divided by a common language."