American Buddhism and Christianity?

Discussion in 'Buddhism' started by SvgGrdnBeauty, Apr 27, 2007.

1. MelT

MelT Member

You're right about Olcott, he did a lot in portraying Buddhism to the west, but it's actually true that there isn't a God in Buddhism.

MelT

2. snake sedrick

snake sedrick Banned

Buddha did say that he wasn't a god. When asked if he was he replied 'no'. Asked if he was a saint he replied 'no'.
    Who are you then?
    'I am awake'.

Buddhism has no need for a God. To followers of theistic religions, this seems as though it can't be right, so they assume that Buddha is God. This though is a complete musunderstanding of Buddhism.

3. mandell

mandell Banned

Did you read mine and MeIT's posts about this?

If I were you, I'd take the time to read what people previously posted with regards to the topic and think things through, that is, provided you have the capacity to think, before blurting out your snake venom.

It's laughable that you start pointing out "misunderstandings" about Buddhism, when you can't even figure out the gist of conversations running between two posters on a Hipforum message board.:)

4. snake sedrick

snake sedrick Banned

I've read the posts and am giving my view, just like you. If you disagree that's your affair.

Keep you silly personal comments to yourself.

5. niranjan

niranjan Member

And I wish to say that there indeed is no need for a God or gods as well, for a person to be spiritual or lead a righteous life.

Spirituality and righteousness does not depend on a God or gods, but on ones own heart, intellect,discrimination and character. And the Buddha and Mahavira and the atheistic and humanist Robert Ingersoll are examples of this.

6. hippie_chick666

hippie_chick666 Senior Member

The Buddha was a human, like all of us. He was simply awakened. He was once asked about a Creator god and he refused to answer, citing that the existence or non-existence of a Creator god is not useful for day to day living. It will not reduce suffering, so that issue was never addressed. Buddhism is typically agnostic, meaning one does not believe nor disbelieve in a Creator god. This is where I personally stand.

Peace and love

7. niranjan

niranjan Member

"There is, O monks, an Unborn, Unoriginated, Uncreated, Unformed. Were there not, O monks, this Unborn, Unoriginated, Uncreated, Unformed, there would be no escape from the world of the born, originated, created, formed. Since, O monks, there is an Unborn, Unoriginated, Uncreated, Unformed, therefore is there an escape from the born, originated, created, formed. What is dependant, that also moves; what is independent does not move." (Udana 8:3)

---Buddha

The Buddha did not talk about God in direct terms, but what he has said above, matches the charecterestics of God.

8. Nikalaus

Nikalaus Member

Well I for one am an open minded Christian, I think there are ways to reconcile this in one form of belief system to better yourself. I mean Christ didn't have an ego, anyway you can work on this without making yourself out to be somekind of God yourself, is only a good thing in my opinion. It's my belief that we are kinda Demi-Gods anyway... when you really think of it...

So It does seem like the buddist philosophy is good. The practice of peace, live and let live, etc etc, it all sounds good to me. But, personally i know there is a God, and I have come to reconcile this in my mind without it beaing a fear factor. same thing with Life after death... So personally there would be no hang ups in maybe adopting ideology from both practices. It certainly may not be the same for all christians ... Especially protestants.