America: The Melting Pot Of The World

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Peace-Phoenix, May 19, 2004.

1. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

I was thinking about this very thing not so long ago. What would you rather have: an openly corrupt, money-grabbing, short-sighted, militaristic government (eg Tories, Bush), or one that does all those things with a smile, while pretending to be doing the best for the country and its people (eg Clinton, Blair)?

Tough call, eh? At least with the openly corrupt ones you have a clear target to criticise and something to rail against!

2. Lozi

Lozi Senior Member

could somebody please explain to me the whole segregation of state, freedom of religion thing please? we had a whole big debate thing in college about it but i was very lost...

3. Iago

Iago Member

Personally I think the whole running a country business is quite tough, I played civilization the other day and destroyed the South American rainforests in the space of 200 years! But then again I did play as Chairman Mao. What the hell was I doing in Peru???

4. flowerchild17

flowerchild17 I practice safe sax.

There are still some places in this country that could be considered a 'melting pot' I think. I was thinking about this thread, and I was downtown earlier today, and I was amazed by the little Italian and German communities that seemed so untouched by the rest of the country. They were so friendly, the atmosphere was just so... wonderful. I enjoyed my conversation with a Russian man who owned his own little bakery...

But now, those have become smaller and smaller. This country in a whole could no longer be considered a melting pot, but that little 5% of it can be. That sounds weird, but I think it makes sense... There are still little untouched places with great cutural diversity that have not been 'Americanized.'

As for religion, I really dont think it should have anything to do with public schools. I remember once about a week ago, when I was walking home from school with 3 of my friends, I found about 20 people from a local church about the school grounds handing out copies of the bible chanting "Let the Lord save you!" That really bothered me.... Me being an athiest, anyway. There are too many religions out there to be able to follow them all in a public school. Learning and religion are two completely different things (In terms of acidemic learning, like maths and sciences ect) and it seems odd to me that they would be mixed together. Given that about 90% of the kids in my school are Christians, what about the other 10%? *sigh* sorry if that made no sense it's too early in the morning for deep thought...